SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's your favorite "woods revolver"?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite "woods revolver"? Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for a handgun to be used for hiking and backpacking, and leaning toward a revolver. IMO: The durability and cartridge selection outweigh the lack of capacity when covering the spectrum from small game to black bears to bad humans. Probably something with a 2.5-4" barrel in .357 or .44 mag. Top contenders would be S&W 66/686, 629, or Ruger GP100, SP101.

What are your criteria or favorite models for such a firearm?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Nothing much here in mid-SC to worry about while I'm out stumping about. I used to carry a 4" 29-2 then a 357. Now its just my FN 509 or G19... sometimes a 1911.

Lighter more rounds and less expensive guns.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
629 S/W 8 inch in desantis shoulder holster for last decade or so

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My 5" S&W 29 is always with me when in the woods.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
If you don't have large animal concerns (bear, cougar) the H&R 22LR has always been a practical camp/trail revolver. It's easy to carry a good supply of ammo and very reliable.

For bigger critter areas it's usually a 1911 or a S&W 44.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I mostly just stomp around on my own land. But for the occasional hog or coyote....I’ll have a 4” GP100 on my hip and my matching caliber Marlin across my back.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Smith & Wesson 629 Mountain Gun. And yes I'm still pissed I couldn't bring it through Canada when I moved up here.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Probably something... in .357 or .44 mag.

What are your criteria or favorite models for such a firearm?

Versatility = Desert Eagle.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a 3" Manurhin MR73 with rubber grips that I'll take out. It's been Metalifed and a surplus gun so don't much worry about it.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
If carrying a rifle, a Ruger Single 10.

If the revolver is the main weapon, then a Ruger Redhawk 5.5"

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 3 inch GP 100 in 44 special for that role.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
While the 686 and GP100's are great guns, I think a "woods gun" needs to have a "4" in the caliber.

Mine is S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP. Pre-lock, by the way.

DSCN0667 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Gold bead front site:

DSCN0668 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

DSCN0669 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I frequently carry a 3” LCRX .38 as a holster gun. Not so heavy it pulls my britches down.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
3” SP101 in 357 Mag. Smaller framed compact 5 shot goodness
screen shot capture

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most practical "woods" revolver I have is a .41 magnum redhawk. My favorite revolver for that purpose, however, is an older, three-screw .41 magnum Blackhawk.

The reality is that I'm far more likely to take either a .357 Sig Glock, or a 10mm Glock than a revolver, for the weight, capacity, and the fact that it's a lot easier to keep the ammunition stored and clean, and they're lighter. For that role, I'm enamored with the G41 that I picked up this year. It's sort of a low-end .41 and for most of the places I might go it's enough.

quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
3” SP101 in 357 Mag. Smaller framed compact 5 shot goodness

I carried a 3" SP-101 in .357 Magnum for a few years, everywhere I went. I still have it, occasionally shoot it; it may be one of the last handguns I'll ever let go. It's heavy for a 5-shot (a good thing with .357), and the trigger isn't great (just not an issue for its intended use). It soaks recoil well, and it's easy to fire fairly quickly, and it's accurate. I love it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Revolvers for the Yoop:
4 inch Ruger Super Blackhawk Stainless in .44 Mag.
4 inch Ruger Blackhawk in .357
4 inch Ruger GP100 in .357
All loaded with Underwood ammo. And the only thing I dislike about the .44 is the added weight.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although not really ideal for small game hunting (or large game, for that matter), I still favor my 4" S&W model 629 “Mountain Gun” in 44 Magnum for that specific role.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always carry a S&W 686 no dash that I have had forever. Use a DeSantis shoulder holster left over from when these were duty guns.

Posts: 322 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
For backpacking and hiking, S&W 329PD worked well for me.

Sadly, I no longer participate in those activities, just sold mine a couple of weeks ago.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Like several others above, I have a 3" SP101 in .357Mag. It's a great balance of size, weight, and power. It carries well, whether on long hikes or seated in a car, packs a punch, and is heavy enough to be very shootable even with stout magnum loads. IMO, it's the perfect gun for hiking in the east.

My wife and I have been discussing a multi-day backpacking trip to climb Cloud Peak in Wyoming next summer. We've been out to the area a few times, but have not done this hike before. We're still in the preliminary planning stages, but I know the critters are a lot bigger out there. I have a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in .45 Colt that I am considering taking along instead of the .357...I'm just trying to decide if the extra punch is worth the added weight and bulk.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post