SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Range report and review of Ruger 9mm Lightweight CMD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Range report and review of Ruger 9mm Lightweight CMD Login/Join 
posted
First negative is the items that would drive the fussy nuts. Number one is that the slide to frame fit rattles, the trigger is NOT hand fitted so lots of movement, and the grip safety is also rather sloppy. Hey, an Ed Brown it aint.

Second negative, as sighted it shot way high for me, call it a 6 o'clock hold TIMES TWO. My solution for that was to replace the 0.185 inch sight with a 0.215 inch sight and that put it into a Combat sight picture with 124 grain loads. With 147 grain loads at 30 feet the POI falls right at the top line of the sights. With 115 grain loads it's so close it's not worth bothering with.

Third negative is the Ruger 9mm Magazines. The feed lips are too short and that causes two seperate issues. First is that if you chamber a round and drop the magazine to top it up you'll find the second round falling out of the grip after you remove the magazine. Yeah, the feed lips are so short the second round in the magazine is stripped free when the slide closes. Oddly enough this doesn't seem to have much effect on feed but I had a one or two mis-feeds where the assembled round ended up with the bullet pointing straight up trapped between the barrel hood and breech face. A really obvious event because that bullet blocks the front sight. Solution for both problems were Wilson Combat Elite 500-9 10 round magazines and these have been flawless for 450 rounds downrange at this point. Note, the first range outing was 150 rounds with the Ruger magazines only and I had two of these jams. Second outing was with 3 of the Wilson magazines and after that outing I purchased 3 more Wilson magazines.

First Positive is the price, it's actually a good bargain even with the rather poor magazines. Love the sights for those big white dots that are actually visible for this old geezer. BTW, the barrel features a feed ramp so there are no concerns about bullet noses hammering dents into the aluminum frame.

Second positive is the accuracy, it's a real tack driver when I am shooting slowly and taking care with the sight picture and in rapid fire it's very easy to keep on target due to the low level of muzzle flip. BTW, I normally don't find Remington UMC very accurate in 40 or 45 caliber but the 9mm version is the most accurate ammo I've found for this pistol at present. Since I actually prefer Remington cases for reloading I've been building up a rather good stock because when it's on sale I can get it for only 10.88 per box of 50.

Third positive is the trigger. Very short takeup, a nice clean break, and a short reset makes it real easy to shoot well. BTW, per my Lyman Digital the break is right at 4.5 lbs with almost no measurable variation in weight.

Final positive is the finish on the frame. Sig Sauer may want to do some testing to see just what Ruger is using on their aluminum frames. Because after 600 rounds downrange there is still not ANY visible trace of wear to the finish on the frame rails. I really wish I had a photo hosting sight because I could take a few pics with my micro Nikkor and show that complete lack of wear to any unbelievers. Sure wish the finish on the frames of my Sigs were this wear resistant, both of my P239's have a good bit of silver showing and I grease the heck out of them.

Sum it all up and IMO for the money the Ruger SR1911 9mm CMD may be one of the finest 9mm pistols you could purchase. Of course one aspect of this opinion is the pure enjoyment I get out of shooting a 1911 and with the mild recoil and reduced muzzle flip this one is a real treat to shoot.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice review! I looked at these long and hard a few weeks back. Ended up with an EMP4, but the Ruger was on my short list. Glad to hear you're liking it...Post up some pics if you get a chance!

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Report This Post