SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Left but tight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left but tight Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the video. I want to go out to the range and try it.

West Texas TBone

Posts: 10 | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a very minimal windage adjustment will center things up for you do it. This tail chasing with grip and trigger technique when a group is tight is fallacy. It comes down to a couple simple answers:
Mechanical zero ( sights centered in dovetail or in middle of adjustment range) is simply not 100% based on manufacturing variations, the way we each look at sights etc.
If the group is loose adjust the shooter if the group is tight adjust the sights.
I know of No ONE who would pick up a rifle with adjustable sights and if the group was off center regardless of where the sights were adjusted would not adjust the sights. Why the resistance on pistols?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
. Why the resistance on pistols?

One explanation is that it ISN'T a rifle, and people are looking to correct bad technique instead of covering up the problem by moving the sights. But, I do know people that have a bad pre-ignition push, who adjusted their sights to keep the gun from hitting low left. And I have seen people with the same problem just aim high/right. I guess moving the sights instead of correcting the problem makes sense to some with that being said.

Glock is not sending out their pistols with the sights off.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The OP is only having the issue with one of several kinds of pistols. The video made by jljones will most certainly correct his shooting problem with his G43. I think this little blaster is different to shoot well than many other models/brands. I also feel the reasons captain127 asks of rifles vs pistols are pretty obvious. First, most rifles come from the factory with very respectable triggers. Most pistols, designed for defense, come with 8 ton pulls which must be learned and practiced regularly. Quite a difference right there. Consider, the stance and anchor points shooting the rifle vs pistol. Also very different unless shot from a rested position. The pistols are shot at some distance from the body requiring a completely different use of stance and muscles. No resistance at all in pistol sights as its simply a total different firearm, held and operated in a different way. The grip of the shooter does indeed affect POI on target. I submit it also differs from a one hand hold grip for shooting to defend or target shooting. I think another variable I will throw in the mix but have no experience with would be maintaining the grip for shooting say, standing, sitting, kneeling, prone or, shooting under stressful conditions. To grip a hand held weapon, for group placement under these conditions, requires knowledge and shooting skills learned over time. In the cases of LE use of pistols, real shoots would require higher knowledge and skills.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I can agree with some aspects of this for sure.

Trigger finger however can make a difference in conjunction with grip pressure.

I don't death grip my pistols, but I do grip them with enough force to keep the pistol from jumping around during rapid strings while training.

As far as moving the sights, I check all my sights via measuring their center based of the sides of the slide, not the dovetails.

I have seen more than one dovetail cut slightly uneven, and if the sight was centered with the dovetail, it cause POA/POI to be off.

Lastly, Always check the front sight especially with aftermarket sights on glocks. There is slight amount of play with them, and when you install them, they can be canted slightly right, which will also throw shots.

While all this may not seem like much, on a pistol, very little movement of the sights can cause a good deal of hit placement.

Technique should always be examined when something in your shooting is a miss. But don't discount the fact that your equipment may not be set up correctly either.

Example one of my P320's rear dovetail. The sight is centered with the sides of the slide and the pistol will drive tacks. SO if it was centered with the dovetail, do you think it would shoot straight, or left. You can clearly see the unevenly cut dovetail. Never discount your equipment.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Get a laser boresight round, and check if POI is mechanically correct to POA.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coldbore pretty much proved some
Of my point. Not all pistols are mechanically perfect and slight
Production variation can result in sights not shooting straight centered in a dovetail. I shoot gssf master level scores and every single one of my glocks have the rear sight adjusted a very minute amount left for the shots to be dead center. Fundamental shooting technique should transfer across platforms with minimal variability. If you have a dozen pistols and 11 shoot center and one does not moving the sights one one makes a lot
More sense than changing technique that works otherwise

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Well said captain127. Will be interesting to see what the OP reports back with. I like those baby Glocks but have never fired such tiny pistols. I'd probably shoot terrible with them due to the small grip size.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Coldbore and the captain.

If it's a tight group and the shift from point of aim is consistent, then adjust the sights.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post