SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Older West German 226 barrel finish question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older West German 226 barrel finish question Login/Join 
posted
I have an older West German 226. The outside of the barrel is a stainless steel color. Has this barrel been polished,or is this how older Sigs used to come from the factory? Date code KD.

Posts: 12578 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original finish has been removed, or it is possibly an aftermarket barrel.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No after market. It is a triple serial number pistol,and they all match. I pulled up some internet photos of West German 226 pistols and what you can see of the barrel shows no finish,I have also seen some you tube videos of older Sigs without a finish on the barrel.So I thought I would ask the experts. This is the only West German Sig I own, besides a P6.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

posted Hide Post
My W German 226 isn't finished either. I will try to post some pics when I get home. Dealing with sick dog at the doggy ER.

ETA: Think mine is a JK date code? Will double check.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 226 has Made in W Germany on the right side,no import marks,and Sig Sauer Sigarms Exeter NH on the left side. Date code is KD with all the other proper German proof marks.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The barrel finish on all of my old German-made SIGs has been blued. Because of that thin finish, it is common for the finish to wear off, so owners remove the remaining blue.

For example, this is the wear on a 1982 P220 barrel:

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
My 226 has Made in W Germany on the right side,no import marks,and Sig Sauer Sigarms Exeter NH on the left side. Date code is KD with all the other proper German proof marks.

The pistols below are W. German stamped (except the P6), all triple serial numbered and all were purchased used.

P6 (1980), P220 (KB), P226 (KB), P228 (KF) = All have blued barrels

I recall wire brushing the barrel hood on the P220 many years ago but don't remember if the hood was originally in the white.
However, the barrel is definitely factory blued.

BTW: "Sig Sauer Sigarms Exeter NH", is the import mark

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

"Sigarms Exeter NH" - That's the import marks.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Older W. German / German folded slide SIGs have never been known to come from factory with the barrels un-blued. If yours looks white, it's been polished off by previous owner.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, and thanks 12131 and steve22x for the information on the import marks.

posted Hide Post
wcb6092, Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. Sick dog and finishing a trade show wiped me out.

Here are the pics of my 89' P226. I bought it in 92' from a friend of my sister that was with the Oklahoma Capital Patrol. I carried this gun when I was with the Sheriff's dept. back in the day.

Now that I think about it, I vaguely remember him saying he sent it off to get a "Nitex"? coating. So maybe they did the barrel then as well. The box is in storage, so I cannot verify exactly how it came from the factory. Only thing I have done is the E2 grip to fit my hand better. And had to use the supplied decoking lever.

Here are some crappy cell phone pics.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post