SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 trigger reset issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 trigger reset issue Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,

I am having a weird trigger reset issue with my P220 in 45 auto.
With Remington golden sabre ammo the trigger will not reset about half of the time. It does it with 230 gr and 185 gr (standard or +p) ammo. every other ammo I have used works just fine.
Any ideas of what would cause this ?
Thanks, Jerry.

Posts: 4 | Registered: November 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Trigger reset is powered by the trigger bar spring.

If the spring were broken, the trigger might reset if it were manipulated a certain way, but that’s unlikely to be the case.

More likely is that the trigger bar spring wasn’t installed correctly. The hook at the rear needs to go into the notch at the bottom rear of the trigger bar, and not in the inviting hole just above the notch. Has the gun been disassembled? Can you post a photo of the right side of the gun in the area of the trigger bar spring with the grip plate removed?

If there are no problems with the trigger bar or its spring, I can’t think of what would cause the problem unless there is something interfering with free movement of the trigger. Having the frame of the pistol completely disassembled and inspected by a competent armorer or gunsmith might be necessary to determine what’s going on.

There is also no reason why the type of ammunition being fired would affect trigger reset if the gun is cycling normally. It may just be a coincidence unless you fired a large number of all types and it’s clear that the problem occurs with only one type.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yep, nailed it ^^^^^^

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply.

I can't post pictures right now but yes the gun has been disassembled. I double checked the trigger bar spring and it is not broken and is installed in the notch. The gun came with a standard reset trigger and I installed an srt kit. I read about the different length safety levers in the srt kits and thought that might be the problem. I put the original sear and safety lever back in but it did not help. The gun feeds and ejects fine just the trigger stays to the rear. I have tried four different magazines and it does the same with all of them. It has worked 100 percent with all of the other 45 ammo I have tried and even works normally with a 22 lr conversion kit.(the trigger reset anyway).

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Check to see if the spring stays in the notch of the bar after cycling it a few times.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
One end of the spring goes into the frame right where the magazine catch cutouts of the magazine are. if the spring end is sticking into the frame hole a teeny bit too far, perhaps the particular ogive bullet shape of the Golden Sabers is catching on the end of the spring at the magazine cutout.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I believe the below photos illustrate what Xer0 is referring to.

This first photo shows the proper position of the end of the trigger bar spring when it is inserted into the hole in the frame.

This photo shows what the situation looks like when the trigger bar spring is inserted too far into the hole in the frame.

I thought of mentioning this issue, but could not think of how the position of the spring could affect whether the trigger resets. It’s nevertheless worth checking as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys, I will check the spring insertion into the magazine well. I have been reading everything I could find to try and figure this out. This is the first time I have seen the spring extending into the mag well possibility.
It will fail to reset almost every time with the golden sabre ammo. I did notice the trigger would reset if you removed the magazine so maybe that is my problem. Thanks again for the help.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Please keep us posted.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yes, let us know what you find.

Welcome to the forum from Georgia. We are glad you wanted to join us and the P220 happens to be my favorite Sig.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I checked the trigger bar spring on the frame side and it looks like the first pic(not sticking out into the mag well). I noticed before that the trigger would reset when I started to remove the magazine. I also noticed that the magazine would not drop free with golden sabre ammo in it.( you would have to pull it out where any other ammo would drop free.) I found the tab that the magazine follower lifts on the slide catch lever was rubbing against the noes of the bullets in the magazine. The tab also had a pretty nasty burr on it. I knocked the burr off with a file and smoothed the tab up a bit. The magazine will now drop free with golden sabre ammo in it. I only had one box of the offending golden sabres at the range but it went through the entire box with zero hiccups. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool! Good on diagnosing and fixing the problem.

As for the pictures, you'll have to use a third party image hosting website and link the images from there.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update.

6.4/93.6

— Plato