SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P232 (2003) - Question For The Experts - UPDATE 02-25-2020
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P232 (2003) - Question For The Experts - UPDATE 02-25-2020 Login/Join 
posted
Slight discoloration on slide, half moon shape. Only slightly noticeable when holding gun at an angle.
I've noticed the same shape/discoloration/location on a few P232s, anyone know the cause of it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rbschneider1,

Posts: 42 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I recall one of my past P230/P232 pistols had similar marks. I believed it was caused by racking the slide over the years of ownership.

Did you try wiping it down with oil? A very light rub down with a mild grit 3M Scotch pad might reduce the mark if it's of concern.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, tried oiling the area, no success. Not sure if it is from racking the slide, the others that had it, were identical in size, shape, and location, seems like something else is causing it.

Posts: 42 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
yep...pretty common. Not sure the reason.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a black 232 that I sent off to Robar for NP3 coating. Came back with the same half moon you fellows show. Never saw any flaw in the slide when it was black. How did this happen ?

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since it is occurring on numerous pistols in the same spot I suspect the discoloration is being caused by the tempering process.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Checked my p230... no sign of that.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I suggest a non-abrasive chrome polish. Can’t hurt, might help.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8953 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE.......

I decided to contact the creator (SIG) about this, here is their explanation:

"Thanks Ronald, it is what is suspected. What you are seeing is the “shadow” of the slot on the inside of the slide for the disconnector. Its curved so the disconnector slides down when the slide cycles. Because this area of the slide is thinner, you can get that shadowing and its likely a byproduct of the heat treatment. It will generally be more pronounced when the slide has been refinished (bead blasted) because that makes the finish a bit thinner and will be slight or even non-existent on slides that are nitron finished. It is normal and to be expected and is not indicative of any defect."

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks for the follow up.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbschneider1:
UPDATE.......

I decided to contact the creator (SIG) about this, here is their explanation:

"Thanks Ronald, it is what is suspected. What you are seeing is the “shadow” of the slot on the inside of the slide for the disconnector. Its curved so the disconnector slides down when the slide cycles. Because this area of the slide is thinner, you can get that shadowing and its likely a byproduct of the heat treatment. It will generally be more pronounced when the slide has been refinished (bead blasted) because that makes the finish a bit thinner and will be slight or even non-existent on slides that are nitron finished. It is normal and to be expected and is not indicative of any defect."

Here's the one I had Robar do some years ago.

I can't see this shadow on any black 230 or 232.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I had to go dig my stainless 232 out and have a look. I don't have the shadow.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:

My SL slides don't have a "shadow" either, just seems to happen to refinished slides.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:

My SL slides don't have a "shadow" either, just seems to happen to refinished slides.

Happens to both refinished/not refinished...

Per SIG - "It will generally be more pronounced when the slide has been refinished (bead blasted) because that makes the finish a bit thinner"

posted Hide Post
I have noticed similar marks on nickel P228s but not on stainless 230/232. Probably same reason though- heat treat- as the marks are in the same place on multiple guns.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike748:
I have noticed similar marks on nickel P228s but not on stainless 230/232. Probably same reason though- heat treat- as the marks are in the same place on multiple guns.

I agree. I would like to see a pic of a black(unfinished) 230 or 232 with the half moon shadow. None of mine have any trace.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike748:

I agree. I would like to see a pic of a black(unfinished) 230 or 232 with the half moon shadow. None of mine have any trace.

I have never seen a "blued" P230/P232 with this shadowing, only seen it on stainless steel.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
As noted by the experts at Sig, you won't see it on a blued or coated gun because the coating covers it up..... and it shows up more on the bare stainless one that have been polished by some means.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post