SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A little Glock generation discussion- What is your preferred generation?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little Glock generation discussion- What is your preferred generation? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
Right now, I’d have to say the Gen4. The grip texture is so much better than the Gen3.
Agreed. The texture on gen 4 and 5 pistols helps you hold onto Glock pistols much better than the gen3 texture. However, I don't care for the feel of it at all. I think Glock had it right with the RTF2 texturing, but lots of people didn't care for the prickly feel of it, not realizing perhaps that those sharp little spikes might someday be their best friend in a deadly encounter when they might have very sweaty hands. Also, I think Glock realized that the RTF2 texturing was somewhat fragile, in that the tiny little spikes were fairly easily malformed when struck against hard surfaces and over time, might begin to become less effective on pistols that see hard use.

My G42, G43 and my gen5 Glocks all wear Talon grip tape. This changes the feel substantially. I first used their rubberized appliques and it's perfectly fine when my hands are dry, but one day, I was at an outdoor range with my G42. The G42 is a tiny little thing in my big hands and it was very hot that day and I was really working out with the pistol. When my hands got sweaty, I had trouble maintaining my grip on the pistol, even with the Talon rubberized applique. Not good at all. This could be a real problem under certain circumstances. I replaced the rubberized applique with Talon's granulate version, which is akin to skateboard tape. You could pour motor oil on your hands and still be able to maintain a grip on a pistol with this applique. All of my Glocks which have the gen4 texturing texturing now wear Talon's ganulate applique. No finger grooves plus this applique feels fantastic to me.

Here's my G43 with the Talon rubberized applique. This pistol now wears the granulate version applique, an Overwatch Precision Falx trigger, and a cut-off slide release lever- the same configuration as my G42. I had to cut off the tab on the slide release lever because I kept locking open these two pistols with my thumb. The pistols still lock open on empty magazines, but the slide release now functions more like the internal slide lock of Walther PP or SIG P230/232 pistols.

Regarding the premature slide locking I experienced with the G43, You can follow my journey from indignation to realization in this thread:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6150024183/p/1

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Para, I read the older thread you posted. I looked and did not see a pic from you of your personalized slide lock. Would you please post a pic of it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sure. Ultimately, this is what worked:

Dremel'd, then a few passes with a flat file to smoth the surface.

That's on the G42, but the G43 looks the same. The idea of abbreviating the tab was a good one, but it just didn't afford enough purchase for me to activate it. I'm thinking about buying new slide release levers for both pistols and abbreviating them as you see in that other thread, in order to be able to manually lock the slide open, which is just not possible with the way they are now. It's a pain in the ass to have to have an empty magazine available in order to lock open these pistols.

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I see what you mean about manually locking the slide back and having to use empty mags.

The ones in the other thread look good, too. It looks perfectly cut. I wonder how they made it look manufactured. Perhaps with some luck and a steady hand, I can achieve the same result.

Please show us your final tab and how you did it.

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I went back and saw that you used photoshop. Well, I still hope to get such a great final look!

posted Hide Post
When the Gen 2 were out people did not appreciate the finish or parts that were not MIM.. The Gen 3 models were somewhat unique when the RTF2 frames came out. I have a couple of Gen 4 pistols and shoot the 34 the most. This has the frying pan finish and it really holds up well.

I always liked the ease to maintain the Glocks and that parts could be used for various generations to make repairs.

I don't own any Gen 5 pistols but due have a 43 that I have not shot a lot. It seems that Glock has really changed the parts on the Gen 5 and now you have to get Gen 5 part if you need to make any repairs. Some of the feed back seems to suggest the Gen 5 finishes don't seem to last.

Jerry, what new conclusions have you come to as of late???

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I think Glock had it right with the RTF2 texturing, but lots of people didn't care for the prickly feel of it, not realizing perhaps that those sharp little spikes might someday be their best friend in a deadly encounter when they might have very sweaty hands.

Or blood, which could easily be present in a self defense shooting situation. Thankfully it seems that the tide is turning from slick “comfortable” pistol grips to ones with some bite. They probably see every Tom Dick and Harry gunsmith texturizing their pistols and have a light bulb go off.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 5 all the way for me. Is the 42, and 43 considered gen 5 ?? If so I am 100% gen 5 with those 2 models, a 17, 26 and 34 which are all gen 5.
Para points out the improvement over the other gen versions, and I like it, but what really swings me is the lack of finger grooves. Without them the grip fits my hand perfectly.
I do hope they do a Gen 5 G20.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
I think Glock had it right with the RTF2 texturing, but lots of people didn't care for the prickly feel of it, not realizing perhaps that those sharp little spikes might someday be their best friend in a deadly encounter when they might have very sweaty hands.
Or blood, which could easily be present in a self defense shooting situation.
Yes, excellent point. A direct example right here: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0026164?r=7760026164

posted Hide Post
I haven’t read every post in this thread, but have we learned of the Gen 5 issues yet, that supposedly have emerged in fed testing?

Posts: 182 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The only Glock I own is a Gen 3 G26, but I've shot plenty. Personally, I like the finger grooves on the Gen 3, and feel they allow me to get a very solid grip purchase on the gun, and a positive, repeatable index point for my grip. I shot my FIL's Gen 5 G19 this week, and found I had to consciously rock the gun back in my hand to get on target...but to be fair, I didn't swap any backstraps around, so there may have been a combination that worked better for me. My G26 worked for me right out of the box, though.

I also like the finish the best on the Gen 3...I carried mine daily for 8 years and looking at the slide you can barely tell.

Finally, the Gen 5s have tighter throats that don't like my reloads with a wider ogive...rounds that work just fine in other guns(including my Gen 3 G26) won't pass a plunk test in the Gen 5 barrel. I will say it's accurate...but it's annoying to have to change up a load that works in everything else just to accommodate that one gun.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GJM AK:
I haven’t read every post in this thread, but have we learned of the Gen 5 issues yet, that supposedly have emerged in fed testing?
No, we haven't. We've been tap dancing and being quite vague and that's about it, and it is counterproductive. All that's happened is that in the other thread, I see a member who appears to be upset that that the USSS will be moving from SIG pistols, to Glock pistols (based solely on price, you see), and I imagine what we'll hear about these mysterious issues from this point is nothing, unless there is an actual recall implemented, which, by the way, was vaguely alluded to over two months ago.

And if you object to the way this information is being slowly doled out, you're just a Glock fanboy.

I have been watching all of this and I have waited for this so-called revelation to appear, but all that's happened is we have this new thread with further vague allusions that have accomplished nothing but create doubt and confusion for Glock gen5 owners. This is not the way to go about sharing information in this forum. I don't like it one bit.

And as we all know, recalls are death knells for pistols, such as the P320, which simply disappeared entirely as a result of its recall, right? Right. Oh, wait- SIG addressed those issues. That's odd. Recalls are supposed to be the end, or so I understand. Or, does that apply only to Glocks?

So, what we have now is a vague suggestion that gen5 Glocks reach the end of their service life at 10,000 rounds and lose accuracy on the way to that number. We don't know this, but someone has dropped a strong hint, and a strong hint is like money in the bank, isn't it?

This appears to be sour grapes to me, either with our source in this forum, or with his source upstream. Someone, somewhere, doesn't like SIGs being replaced with Glocks, and I suspect that's all this is, but here's a glorious opportunity to put me in my place by proving me wrong. After all, I'm just a little guy in the dark. What do I know? Hell, I buy my own ammunition, commoner that I am.

One would think that CBP and USSS simply went into their local gun store and finger banged a couple of gen5 Glocks and made their decisions on that basis alone. Oh, and the price, let's not forget the price.

As I said, I've been watching this and I've been patient with it, but when we start branching out from the original thread and start a new thread, again with no actual data, enough is enough.

posted Hide Post
My wife has three Gen 5 34 MOS pistols, used for competition, with over 10,000 rounds each through their OEM barrels. They are functioning just fine and have more precision than her Gen 3 and 4 34 pistols that she used previously.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Can you give us some specs of the ammunition? Handloads or factory? Bullet weight? Muzzle velocity?

Any parts breakage or excessive wear?

posted Hide Post
OK here's my contribution on this. I have lots of options but week to week I shoot a pair of glocks in competition. An 'A' gun and a paired duplicate backup if I have issues. I started competing seriously after the G2 so G3 and G4 guns. Normally twice a week. A couple of hundred thousand rounds on the G3/G4 guns. The minute I touched a G5 I hated finger groves instantly. Detest them despite the above long term use.
At this point I have put over 40K rounds through a pair of G5 guns. Factory ammo (lawman or winclean since I have had lead issues in the past). Zero failures, zero evidence of reduced accuracy on tactical targets that I shoot(IDPA A zone) (though to be fair I don't have a ransom rest and can't test it analytically).
I can't see a single thing about these guns that bothers me or worries me long term. I don't clean them in any regular way. No parts seem problematic. The barrels and barrel wear looks mint. The internals look mint.
Get a G5 and be happy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you give us some specs of the ammunition? Handloads or factory? Bullet weight? Muzzle velocity?

Any parts breakage or excessive wear?

The main load used with these pistols is American Eagle 115 FMJ, second most common is PMC 115, although lately Federal Syntech 150. JohnnyGlock triggers in two, OEM minus in another. 4.5 pound striker springs. Factory RSA. Nothing has broken yet. These guns are run like Vicker’s proverbial lawnmower, occasional bore snake, a bit of Lucas oil, and a wipe down with paper towel when the upper is off. She has found the Gen 5 34 pistols to be less sensitive to lower power factor ammo than Gen 3/4 34 pistols, especially when shot one hand. The ones with the breech face cut really throw the brass out.

The only issues I am familiar with, is some Gen 5 pistols developing some roughness in the trigger over time. Three possible causes — interference with the right side slide stop, trigger bar contamination during initial plating, or something with the striker.

She has transitioned to the 320 Legion for USPSA CO, and I am using her Glocks, which are still chugging along.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you, hrcjon and GJM AK.
quote:
Originally posted by GJM AK:
The only issues I am familiar with, is some Gen 5 pistols developing some roughness in the trigger over time. Three possible causes — interference with the right side slide stop, trigger bar contamination during initial plating, or something with the striker.
These theories were developed by shooters posting online, I take it? Competition shooters, or Joe Gunrange? Is there any perceived approximate round count when this roughness become noticeable? I guess that might be an unanswerable question, taking dry-firing into consideration. How many instances of this roughness are you aware of?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Doing a bit of research myself, I did find something very interesting. You don't want to use the PMAG 12 round G26 magazines in a gen5 G26. Premature slide locking, not attributable to thumbs hitting the slide release.

Demonstrated at the 12 minute mark

This gent had the same issues. Go to the 7 minute mark to hear his theory as to what is occurring to cause the slide lock

Now, isn't that interesting.

Oh, and BTW, this is from the same guy in the second video:

9,642 rounds through a gen5 G19. Shooter claims no malfunctions.

posted Hide Post
Gen 4 fits my hand perfectly.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
For me it is the GEN 5. I love everything about all the upgrades. I sold my GEN 3 RTF 19 for the 5th and so far so good. But, we can all agree, no matter what Glock your going with its a good choice.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post