SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A little Glock generation discussion- What is your preferred generation?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little Glock generation discussion- What is your preferred generation? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
And Why? Let's say for the sake of argument, we're only talking G17 and G19s. I used to have die hard opinions on what makes one superior over the other, but here of late I've learned quite a bit that make me question some of my previous thoughts.

I have Gen 3-5 guns. Each have their charms.

What are your opinions? I am particularly interested in any technical beliefs that you may have on generational superiority.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Gen 4 for the G17. Perfect grip texture. Beavertail option. (No more railroad track scars!) Better/larger mag release button. Finger grooves fit me. And no unnecessary right side slide lock lever.

Gen 5 for the G19. Still perfect texture. Still has beavertail option. Still has improved mag release. But no finger grooves, since the Gen 3/4 G19 grooves don't fit me. The only downsides are the ambi slide lock lever (not a big deal) and the cutout under the pinky finger (deleted in the latest Gen 5 models, and I had gotten used to that from my Gen 2 anyway, plus there are Pearce baseplates to correct that.)

If you can't already tell, I think the Gen 4/5 grip texture was a massive improvement over the way-too-slick Gen 1-3 texture. It's just aggressive enough, without being overly aggressive like the special RTF models.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I prefer the most recent revision of Gen5 over the others.

One, for me all my Gen5 have been more accurate than all my previous gens.

Second is the internals being of a more reliable design. Now while I have not had any failures of the older Gen parts, the redesigned parts to improve reliability is a good thing IMO.

No finger groove finally.

Those things cause the Gen 5 to win out over the others for me.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Only cares for the RTF2. Why? The answer is in the name. Smile

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Gen 5 clearly for me

I’m think the trigger is superior, and the removal of the spring used in gens 1-4 eliminates one of the most common failure points in previous generations

I am also not a finger groove guy. Used to grind them off my old glocks

The MOS exists on gen 4 as well, but I have gone heavily to carry optics, so the MOS is a must for me

I don’t know about the difference in the “match barrel”. I do shoot gen 5s faster and more accurately. I suspect that is due to a combination of the better comfort I have with my grip on the gun, the better trigger, and probably the barrel is better too.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The gen5 Glocks are a genuine improvment to the Glock system and these are replacing most of my other Glocks.

Before the gen5 pistols, the RTF pistols were my preference, based solely upon that great grip texture, but the gen5 pistols can't be beat.

Of course, the gen5 pistols are available in 9x19mm only, so if your preference is for .40, .45 or 10mm, you're going to be choosing a different generation.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
I’m think the trigger is superior, and the removal of the spring used in gens 1-4 eliminates one of the most common failure points in previous generations
So true. You're referring to the takedown spring, or barrel latch spring, whatever you want to call it. Y'know, once I saw high-speed video of the firing cycle of Glocks, I could never again be fully comfortable with gen1-4 Glocks. That tiny little leaf spring gets slammed down twice during recoil. And do you know what happens if that tiny little spring fails? Pistol no worky! So, yes, changing this to a coil spring is a genuine improvement.

Check it out:

Jeez Louise! Eek For those who aren't Glock shooters- this is a very small leaf spring which is secured to the frame on one end. If that spring fails during firing, the upper will fly right off of the frame when the slide returns to battery. Now, yes, I know that there are literally millions of Glocks out there, and yes, I know that this is a rare failure. Nevertheless, this makes me a bit nervous. (And for those wondering what's with the failures to eject in that video- the pistol is being fired from a Ransom Rest, and such malfunctions are not uncommon in some pistols when fired in this manner. The Ransom Rest essentially simulates what we refer to as "limp wristing")

On the gen5 pistols, this leaf spring has been replaced by a coil spring, which is much less likely to suffer a breakage. This coil spring is used on the slimline Glocks as well- the G42, G43, G43X, etc. Glock, as with virtually all manufacturers, does not make unnecessary design changes, so...

Posts: 107470 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Dang it man, a lot of flexing going on. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

Posts: 1549 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a closet Glock geek, I thought the Gen 4 was it. Especially for the 19.
I did not care for the Gen 3 19 and shot it mediocre at best. Along came the Gen 4's and both my GF(long gone now) and me each bought a 19.
Mediocre went to very good and IMO, it was the grip. The Gen 3 was a little big for my hand and my partially missing index finger. Gen 4 just fit.
Gen 5 was introduced and now the Gen 4 is gone. I didn't mind finger grooves but much different without them.
Only the 19 and 48 as of now but I'm sure later down the road I'll have more Glocks.
At one time, I had every model but the 45Gap and 10mm ones.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Dang it man, a lot of flexing going on. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.
Years ago, when the subject of Glock "pig nose" dust covers came up (this refers to frame dust covers which are not parallel to the slide, but instead are warped upward and contact the underside of the slide at the muzzle), a member of the forum said that this was not just a cosmetic thing, but actually detrimental to the functioning of Glocks, since this contact slows down the slide velocity. I told him to watch one of these high-speed videos and then he would be able to see that you could have a perfectly straight dust cover on a Glock, and it would still bang into the underside of the slide during the extraction cycle.

And that's another thing about the gen5 Glocks. Glock seems to have slightly changed the process they use to mold Glock frames, because I haven't seen a single pig-nosed Glock frame on gen5 pistols. Again, this makes no difference whatsoever in the functioning of the pistol, but it makes the new Glocks look a bit nicer- a bit more precisely manufactured.

And with regard to altered slide velocities- well, that video I posted clearly demonstrates something inherent to all auto pistols, namely, that the slide velocity is not consistent through even a single magazine of ammunition, as the pressure exerted on the slide from the cartridges in the magazine changes with each shot. The slide velocity will be slower when the magazine is full, and this velocity gradually increases as the cartridges are expended from the magazine.

posted Hide Post
Gen 3.5 RTF with gills of course.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Gen 3.5 RTF with gills of course.
You like da gills? Dang.

Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
My Gen2 19 does it for me it just shoots and shoots had it since 91 and haven’t had to replace a thing internally.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Twenty-eight years? Well, you might want to consider installing a new recoil spring assembly. It's all of about 8 bucks.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have had a G19 in gen 2 and gen 4. 3 ...I was not a fan of the finger grooves and ground them off to mimic the smooth gen 2. Since I changed the gun I will keep it forever. My ex wife fucked me out of my gen 2 otherwise I never would have gotten another.

But dam,watching that video, that lever takedown moving all over the world is disturbing, as Para pointed out.

Is there a coil spring fix to that ?

ETA: wrong gen number

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 5, Most that prefer the older pistols have never owned or fired a Gen 5.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Is there a coil spring fix to that ?
Nope

The saving grace is that the part which is impinging on that tiny leaf spring is a low mass part- the slide lock.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
For the small Glocks (17, 22, etc...), I'd go with the Gen 2.
For the bigger Glocks (20, 40 MOS...), I'd go with the Gen 4.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I preferred my old gen2 Glock 19. I guess since it was my first. My EDC was my gen3 Glock 32 which I had the fingerhumps removed.

With the newer guns, I like my gen5 19 and 45.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a preferred generation. I have a lot more Gen 3 glocks than Gen 4 or Gen 5. That's more to do with when they were purchased and what was a good deal at the time.

I like the Gen 3 Glock, particularly with the teflon finish. They're easy to clean. Triggers are fine with a minus connector, and smooth triggers better than serrated. The Gen 3 pistols do tend to become more slick with time, something that can be fixed with rextexturing or external grips or whatever someone wants to use. I don't really use any of that; just carry as is.

Gen 4 frames have the advantage of texture and a shorter frame without the backstraps. I don't use any backstraps. The rich texture grip on the Gen for can be a bit too grippy against clothing, but generally is fine.

I've had zero issues with springs on any of the Glocks, so don't care much there. I replace recoil springs and recoil spring assemblies periodically. I keep them well lubricated. I clean them. I just don't have issues with any of them. That said, the G48 came with a poor trigger, much like the original G43; it needed some help. G43X felt the same.

I don't have a lot of use for the ambi slide stop release on the Gen 5.

I like the Gen 5 G19. Is it worth the extra cost over a Gen 3 or 4? I don't know; it's not a huge cost difference, even new vs. used, especially if one will be arrying and using it for a long time.

I think Jerry aluded recently to some information that's forthcoming regarding trouble with the Gen 5 that's come up in federal agency testing. It would be nice if that were shared.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved my Gen 2 G19, but now have only a 43X and a 42 (both getting ready for a hopefully short vacation in Katy, TX for the Cold Bore Customs treatment).

But that video kinda made me a little queasy, along with the commentary earlier about the little leaf spring. Slammed twice with each round fired! Yeah,a rare occurrence, but....

Then, Para posted "the Rest of the Story," that the 43s and 42s already got the coil spring.

Life is good again!

Bob

Posts: 1570 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post