SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    need the hive minds thoughts on this apparently rarish P220
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need the hive minds thoughts on this apparently rarish P220 Login/Join 
Picture of bolo4tom
posted
so, a while back I picked up this pretty amazing P220 SAO. model number is 220BR3-45-BSS-SAO. I hadn't see a lot of SAO's so I went to digging and found varying info. WWW. consensus was that it was a contract overrun for an unknown foreign govt contract. I called Sig and they were a lil less than forth coming. would only verify how it left the factory and 2007 production date and that the numbers produced was 'low' whatever that means?? The gun is on an 'elite beavertail frame' and is a lil heavy but amazingly balanced and accurate. Im just looking for some solid, verifiable info on what this 220 actually is? whom it was made for? value? and exactly how many are in the US? any and all info you guys can provide is much appreciated.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen one like that before.

Does it seem to be Cerakoted? The grips seem to be painted and black inside the magwell or are they moulded in color?

Cool either way.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
That is quite out of the ordinary. Nice find.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im just looking for some solid, verifiable
Good luck - Rumormill from those selling the pistols said "Gov't Contract Overrun", "British SAS", which a place varying degrees of disbelief to both. Never once saw anything other than rumors from people selling them).

Who knows really. Your example appears to have a polished barrel, which isn't how they shipped (owned one, saw photos of others). I put some Rosewood grips on mine, it was accurate (like all P220s) but I didn't really like the safety setup (seems kind of flimsy when you take off the grips.

Value? Normal P220 SAO used value IMO, in that shape I'd say maybe $600 if you have a couple of mags. If someone values the innuendo about secret government contracts / customers this may have been made for, you could maybe hook them for some more. But considering you can buy a Carry P220 Slide and slip it on an Elite Beavertail frame and have the same weapon, I just don't see any extraordinary value on it.

But I'm sure it's a sweet accurate shooter, mine sure was.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Im just looking for some solid, verifiable
Good luck - Rumormill from those selling the pistols said "Gov't Contract Overrun", "British SAS", which a place varying degrees of disbelief to both. Never once saw anything other than rumors from people selling them).

Who knows really. Your example appears to have a polished barrel, which isn't how they shipped (owned one, saw photos of others). I put some Rosewood grips on mine, it was accurate (like all P220s) but I didn't really like the safety setup (seems kind of flimsy when you take off the grips.

Value? Normal P220 SAO used value IMO, in that shape I'd say maybe $600 if you have a couple of mags. If someone values the innuendo about secret government contracts / customers this may have been made for, you could maybe hook them for some more. But considering you can buy a Carry P220 Slide and slip it on an Elite Beavertail frame and have the same weapon, I just don't see any extraordinary value on it.

But I'm sure it's a sweet accurate shooter, mine sure was.

Yeah, ive asked this question here before and didn't get any replies. it was an 07/08 manuf. I cant remember exactly, it may even be on the box. ive called Sig before and gotten info on guns at ease but they kinda acted shady with this one like it was some kinda secret bs, so I dunno...its an absolutely amazing shooter and it'll not leave my hands. and btw, I polished that part of the barrel only. it'll not leave me and I prefer the contrast, so not loss of value to me. thanks guys.

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Does it seem to be Cerakoted? The grips seem to be painted and black inside the magwell or are they moulded in color?

Cool either way.

I think its my lamp throwing a strange hue on the gun in the pic. box says nitron finish and the grips? ive never seen another set like them. they're grippy and feel great. not paint, its molded color on them too

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
On my not so smart phone, the grips look like stippled in some fashion. Grip screw slots did not get cared for as well as they could have been. I really like the size of that 45 and, being single action is a big plus.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Either way, I think you scored.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17246 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. I bought it at a ridiculously low price and im extremely happy with it overall. just wish I had solid info vs conjecture

Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I could't imagine the SAS buying .45 ACP pistols, but I could see them wanting single action pistols.

At any rate, that is a very nice gun.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good score!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I like that a lot!

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I ended up selling mine about 5 years ago without ever firing it.

In the P220s I just like the longer barrels, not the short ones so I never even unboxed it in 2008

I remember the same foreign contract rumor at the time I purchased it and I like beavertails so I thought I would warm up to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Cool either way.
Just a wrong white balance

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:

I just looked at my notes and mine was serial number G396667

If these were run sequentially, that accounts for 3000 pieces

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

posted Hide Post
Didn't need to see this!

When I first heard of the SAO P220 I thought it was a dumb idea; quickly changed my tune after thinking about it. A great, reliable, accurate platform with the safety system I was used-to. (1911 and P35 fan.)

I didn't need to see this because a LGS has P220 Carry SAO SAS that keeps speaking to me.....

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of winter_war
posted Hide Post
^^^^^You better go and get it before it's gone. They're not rare, but they're uncommon.

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Didn't need to see this!

When I first heard of the SAO P220 I thought it was a dumb idea; quickly changed my tune after thinking about it. A great, reliable, accurate platform with the safety system I was used-to. (1911 and P35 fan.)

I didn't need to see this because a LGS has P220 Carry SAO SAS that keeps speaking to me.....

Quit talking about it, go buy it! It's Christmas time, everyone needs to buy themselves something for Christmas!!!!!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
no joke! ^^^ this is one of the better purchases ive made. I don't think you'll regret it....unless you don't buy it! Smile