SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Fellas, Talk me into (or out of) a P320 X5.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fellas, Talk me into (or out of) a P320 X5. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Yeah, I'm asking that. I've got a lot of time on the full sized P320, and some on the X5. I'm on the fence about picking one up, and what it is basically came down to is I can't find a clear cut winner between the X5 and the full sized P320 from a performance standpoint.

Soooooooooooooooo, I bring this to you. Anyone have opinions one way or the other? I am going to purchase in the next few days either a full sized 9mm P320 (and will put a set of Dawsons on it. Or maybe a set of Proctor's) or I'm going to pick up a P320X5. Price is no concern. I may use it for IDPA some next year. I've got a couple of full sized P320s and several compacts, but just can't make up my mind what I want to buy next.

Am I missing anything?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Am I missing anything?

Yeah, the fact that striker guns blow and DA/SA hammer guns rule... Big Grin

Posts: 117 | Registered: August 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
X5: I like the thicker barrel, and that the X5 accepts Springer Precision's tungsten guide rod (made originally for the X5). That did it for me. Dawson sights and adjustable rear site already included. I like the extra weight when shooting (although I see that SP is now offering to cut down their tungsten guide rod to fit a regular P320).
I have the 320FS with a Springer funnel, upgraded sights, GG trigger (on both). The X5 just works a bit better (after the upgrades).

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
That, and I get to return the favor for the Legion RX slide that I bought after reading your excellent review....Smile

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m sure you’ve seen and or already know about the Pro Series P320, right? You should be able to get a deal on the X5.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Depami:
quote:

Am I missing anything?

Yeah, the fact that striker guns blow and DA/SA hammer guns rule... Big Grin

You got me on that one. You got the Tater. Big Grin Yeah, but I dabble in other stuff too.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I’m sure you’ve seen and or already know about the Pro Series P320, right? You should be able to get a deal on the X5.

I'm not sure the correlation between the Pro Series and the X5. The X5 isn't going anywhere. The X Carry is being discontinued because of the Pro Series. The X5 is going to be produced as is, and will be the only 320 to be produced with a pre-tensioned barrel.

Am I missing something?

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drtenb330:
That, and I get to return the favor for the Legion RX slide that I bought after reading your excellent review....Smile

You will not be disappointed with the RX.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
This past spring, in preparation for our July Advanced Fundamentals class in Ohio, I purchased the 320 X5. Based on my overall satisfaction with my P320 FS 9mm, P320 FS RX, and P320 FS 45, I had high expectations for the X5.

The X5 functioned fine, no issues with the pistol, but I never warmed up to the slab-sided grip. It just doesn’t feel natural for me, especially at faster speeds. My older P320 FS 9mm (Sig trigger and sear upgrade) has been upgraded with a PELT 2 curved trigger, Dawson FO sights, GGI stainless guide rod, and GGI grip tape over a medium-size grip module. I find that this grip fits my hand the best. With the modular design of the P320, my best combination is with this older lower grip assembly and the X5 upper assembly. For me, it’s the best of both worlds. But, to be honest, with my modest skills I can’t say that I see a benefit with the X5 features.

I have also recently been achieving very good results with the RX upper with Romeo 1 when I install it on the older lower grip module. I need to spend more time with the Romeo sight, but am really starting to warm up to it. My next test is to install the Romeo 1 onto the X5 slide assembly. My older eyes are having a harder time picking up the front sight, and the Romeo 1 helps immensely.

I recall that you were recently having very good results with the S&W 2.0 series, are you still working with that one? I really like my 5” 9mm 2.0, but haven’t spent much time with it yet.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merc50:

I recall that you were recently having very good results with the S&W 2.0 series, are you still working with that one? I really like my 5” 9mm 2.0, but haven’t spent much time with it yet.

I spent today with the 3.6. It is probably one of the best in the 2.0 line up.

Time was just shy of 21 seconds (including a reload for a Taliban mag pouch) on the Consistency target.

www.opspectraining.com

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I have two P320 X-Fives, a P320 Fullsize and an M17 Bravo and the X-Fives are my favorite by far.

One of the X-Fives is setup for home defense, the other is still stock. Between the bull barrel and the the weight in the grip, it makes for a soft shooting pistol.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Merc50:

I spent today with the 3.6. It is probably one of the best in the 2.0 line up.

Time was just shy of 21 seconds (including a reload for a Taliban mag pouch) on the Consistency target.

Good Shooting, looks like an interesting drill. That one still have the stock trigger system, or have you upgraded with Apex?

I had seriously considered a 5" 2.0 in .45 with threaded barrel and suppressor sights a few months ago for suppressor host for my Griffin Revolution 45. But, aside from being suppressor-ready, I didn't feel it would do anything for me that my 320 FS 45 doesn't do.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Only thing I have changed on that gun is the sights, D. I installed a set of HDs and the little gun is magic if I prep hard and early as I am supposed to. I’ve got a 4 inch 2.0 that I am going to put on the road soon. From the draw, to counting, to transitions the 3.6 does everything better than the 4.0.

Next I’m going to start shooting it against the 4.25.

But, I’m still going to pick up an X5 or something.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
I have 2 x5's and one full size 320. I haven't shot the regular 320 much as it is a back up to my 320 without the romeo on it. All my guns are for uspsa. The 320x5 is a terrific pistol. I don't like the medium grip but with some grip tape it's much better. I would like a large, but not available. I don't know if the x5 can do anything a regular 320 can't, but I can say it's a smooth shooting great looking all around awesome gun. I would never tell someone NOT to buy oneSmile

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:
I have 2 x5's and one full size 320. I haven't shot the regular 320 much as it is a back up to my 320 without the romeo on it. All my guns are for uspsa. The 320x5 is a terrific pistol. I don't like the medium grip but with some grip tape it's much better. I would like a large, but not available. I don't know if the x5 can do anything a regular 320 can't, but I can say it's a smooth shooting great looking all around awesome gun. I would never tell someone NOT to buy oneSmile

Thanks.

Rumor has it that the large and small X grips are supposed to drop at SHOT. I don't know if that includes large and small X5 or not. I've shot the large X grip for the X carry and it is pretty awesome.

www.opspectraining.com

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Is there a reason the P320 Tacops isn’t being considered with perhaps a Grayguns PELT trigger?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Own a FS P320 that has been to Robert Burke and was my Production gun for 2 years , prob 15K rounds ( including almost 4K at MOAC 2017). Does everything I’ve asked of it without complaint. Accurate and consistant. Like the large grip. But as the eyes fail I’ve strayed to Carry Optics and a Romeo 1 on a P320 X5. Burke did that trigger too and it is more positive feeling with a better reset than the reg 320. Add the heavy guide rod and a modified grip from Shooting Sports Inovations ( you said cost was not a concern) and oh boy - a heavy, accurate, soft, flat shooting gun with a sweet trigger that fit the hand perfectly.
Life is short - buy good toys

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dgrdvm,

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:

I'm not sure the correlation between the Pro Series and the X5. The X5 isn't going anywhere. The X Carry is being discontinued because of the Pro Series. The X5 is going to be produced as is, and will be the only 320 to be produced with a pre-tensioned barrel.

Am I missing something?

The main distributors I use have both the X5 and X Carry marked as “close outs”. That’s why I mentioned it, who knows what Sig has up their sleeve??

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
So what did you end up getting, Jerry ?

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Full size RX. It was a more practical choice at this point.

www.opspectraining.com