SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I did it for the children. Thoughts on new CZ75 SP01 Urban Grey Tactical
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I did it for the children. Thoughts on new CZ75 SP01 Urban Grey Tactical Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I have been spending time teaching my daughter to shoot and I realize that sometime in the future we will eventually transition to handguns and I thought to myself, “Self, you wouldn’t be a loving and responsible parent if you were not to have a suppressed pistol to ease her into shooting them with. It will simply be better for her ears as well as making it easier for her to focus on the fundamentals.” So I picked up a suppressor ready pistol for the future.

For those of you out there who either don’t have a bullshit translator installed or yours in on the fritz allow me to translate the above for you. “Cslinger walked into a gun store and found a really cool gun that you don’t see very often and he has extremely poor impulse control…………he probably does love his daughter though. Big Grin

So here is what followed me home, a CZ75 SP01 Urban Grey, suppressor ready pistol. I will be completely honest I just REALLY dig the way this thing looks.

So where to start, let’s see, how about with the write up I did of my other CZ75 SP01 (Spoiler alert……this write up isn’t gonna be radically different.) Big Grin https://thefiringline.com/foru...wthread.php?t=585851

So on to my thoughts. As always each score is out of 5 and completely my personal observations of this particular gun.

VALUE - 5
Let's look at value first. This is an all steel, color polycoated pistol from a respected brand with a storied history with a threaded barrel and suppressor height night sights for around $700 of your hard earned bucks. That is a helluva good value in my book in 2018.

TRIGGER - 4
The trigger on this particular gun is not quite as good as my other SP01 tactical but this gun doesn’t have nearly the rounds down range either. It is a good trigger that I suspect will break in just like my other SP01. It has a little bit of creep/grit in the double action pull and is, of course heavy, but all in all it pulls nice and has a really nice defined break in both single and double action. The reset is very crisp and pretty short. I know folks like to bag on CZ triggers but, honestly, they are not that bad. NOTE FROM EDITOR – Cslinger shoots HK DA/SA’s quite a lot and based on that fact his reading of good and bad triggers is obviously flawed as pulling a rusty stick through broken glass and rocks is generally better than your average out of the box HK double action so please never listen to him on triggers.

ERGOS - 3
I am just going to copy what I said last time here as it hasn’t changed.
The CZ75 and the Browning Hi-Power sort of wrote the book on comfortable pistols back in the way back time when we couldn't just splooge out any shape we wanted. This CZ feels like every other CZ75 which is super nice. Great fit in the hand, high grip, low bore access and just feels great. Really the only thing that lets it down vs. the modern world is the lack of ambi controls (except the decocker) and the fact that the slide rides so deep into the frame which give you a little less purchase on it. All in all it was a great feeling pistol 40 years ago and who'd a thunk but apparently human hands haven't changed much because....SURPRISE!!! Still a great feeling pistol.

RELIABILITY - 5
So far with a 150 or so rounds through the pistol reliability has been perfect, as it always is with every CZ pistol I have used. A mix of ball and hollowpoint ammo has been fired, 115 and 124 grain stuff. I haven’t shot any 147 grain ammo but based on my experience with other CZ’s I don’t see this being a problem.

It will likely be a long time before I ever get to run it suppressed so I cannot personally speak to its performance with a can on it or with subsonic ammo with a can, but based on others I don’t have any fears there will be any major issues.
CZ’s in general, in my experience just kind of work.

RECOIL - 5++++
If recoil is an issue for you with this gun, then I suggest you may very well only have days to live and you should see a doctor as soon as possible. I mean the recoil might be a little stout for say a six year old girl or possibly a malnourished child from a third world nation but beyond that we are talking about a giant, all steel gun that although is not crew served could benefit from an assistant gunner. Big Grin The point is even the HOTTEST 9mm is powderpuff in this thing. Low bore axis, great grip, heavy weight it just soaks up anything. Seriously you could probably have an out of battery KaBoom in one of these and think……..did I load the +P stuff up???

ACCURACY - 5
Full disclosure I don’t have shooting talent. I am safe and passable with damn near any gun this side of 20mm but generally I am not the person to ever speak to accuracy. So when I give a gun a 5 it is based on the fact that it must be good to make me look good and this CZ, like my others does that very thing. This is an easy gun to shoot well. Below is an example of my accuracy with it. The target in question was a small shoot and see target that I just simply blew out. I really do think the full length rails as well as the slide riding inside does aid in the average CZ’s mechanical accuracy.

Honestly all my CZ’s shoot fantastic. I had a little CZ range day today and all of these were nothing short of awesome.

CARRY-ABILITY - 1
It’s not rifle, nor does it require a pack animal of any kind……although that may not be the worst idea but I digress. :P This is NOT a carry gun. This castle defense at its finest. This is a night stand pistol extraordinaire. This is a FANTASTIC home defense or car gun. I seriously wouldn’t want to carry one around all day, even in a duty situation. She’s a biggun’ Big Grin

EFFICIENCY - 4
It’s a big heavy gun but boy they stuff a ton of ammo in those magazines. I mean we are talking about a gun where the small magazines hold 16-17 rounds. That’s pretty impressive. CZ’s do a pretty nice job of packaging lots of ammo into fairly thin, comfortable to hold guns. So high marks here.

SIGHTS - 5
I am going to give these a five for three reasons.
-They are all steel
-They are night sights
-They are suppressor height
These are good sights, easy to pick up, easy to shoot with. They are not Trijicon HD’s or Ameriglo’s with the big ole’ florescent front dots but they are good sites and I bumped them up to 5 because a company put out a suppressor ready pistol with actual suppressor height sights.

FIT AND FINISH - 3
Let me describe the emotional roller coaster I have with every CZ pistol I buy. I see one in the store and it calls to me, the beautiful lines, the all metal construction, the exterior finish etc. I pick it up and it just melts into my hand and feels like it was gifted me by some tart from a European lake. I buy it, I take it home, I tear it down for its first cleaning and inspection and…………my heart drops when I see the internal finishing. Tool marks, overspray, lack of detail finishing etc. I start thinking this is going to be the one that doesn’t work. Basically most CZ’s, in my experience, on the inside look like they were put together by a bunch of near sighted Dwarves using dull, rusty hammers on a Monday morning after an ale fueled weekend.
I don’t have experience with the higher end CZ offerings such as the Shadow’s and the Target Sports etc. but the production level stuff on the inside is generally rougher than the competition. Exterior is usually very good. Fitting tends to be very good it’s just the finishing where things seem to fall apart.

So I go out to the range ready for this to be the one that doesn’t run and ……………… it shoots lights out and feeds anything I put in it and feels fantastic. They just ALWAYS WORK, they are always smooth, they are always accurate. Yet I am sure I will go on another emotional CZ roller coaster again in the future………only to once again fall in love with the thing.
Keep in mind I might be, being a bit harsh but I am comparing against SIG and HK for example that have exemplary fit and finish in general. Hell HK metal work on some of their slides is art. So if you are a CZ fanatic don’t crucify me too. Much. I have several of them and I LOVE them, but I gotta call it like I personally see it. They would probably get a 2 if the outsides were poorly finished or if the fit was an issue but as it stands a 3.

TAKE DOWN - 3
My thoughts haven’t changed here.
CZ75s can be a bit of pain to take down at least early on. Lining up the lines and then basically having to hammer out the slide stop. (top tip, use the bottom of your magazine). The point is they are not as easy to take down as a thoroughly modern pistol but easier then a 1911 and far in away less foul language inducing then a Ruger Mark I, II, III pistol.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS
I generally haven’t changed my thoughts here either.
Plastic recoil guide. I don't usually get my knickers in a twist over this. I don't change my Glocks out etc. I just feel like an old school gun like the CZ75 should have a steel guide rod.

Magazines. The magazines are made by Mec-Gar, who arguably makes the best magazines period. I will say the factory magazines are definitely built to a lower price point then aftermarket MecGars. The aftermarket MecGars for CZ are incredibly nice magazines.

Front Strap Checkering. I really like the front and back strap checkering. It looks and feels great.

The “urban grey” finish is very nice. It is very evenly applied on the exterior and looks great. Almost a whitish grey It contrasts wonderfully with the black controls and grips.

Stock CZ rubber grips are GREAT. I tend to change them out for aesthetic reasons or if I am going to carry and don’t want them hanging on a shirt but don’t underestimate how good the stock grips feel, as well as how well they lock your grip in.

SO DO I LIKE THIS ONE TOO???
ABSOFRIGGINLUTLY!!! I love my SP01 tactical and this brings it up a notch aesthetically as well as adding a fair bit of potential capability, all for about the same price as a standard SP01 tactical. It also is just pure pleasure to shoot this thing. I love it.

FINAL THOUGHTS
So why in God and John Browning’s name would one buy a giant steel pistol designed in a commie country back with mammoths roamed the earth? I mean aren’t there any number of first rate pieces of polymer pistol perfection out there? Yes of course there are. That being said there is a generation of shooters who know nothing about DA/SA steel framed pistols and they have no idea just how wonderful they are to shoot. Yes I would prefer a Glock 17 on my side if I was walking a beat day in and day out but side by side a Glock 17 vs a CZ SP01 (or any 75 really) is a night and day experience as far as shooting goes. Most folks have to work at learning to shoot a Glock. Guns like this CZ seem to simply do all the work for you and at the end of the day, that’s kinda special and worth embracing while you still can.

As always,
Take care, shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Very nice. I too have drank the CZ Kool Aid, hook line and sinker. You’ve got a great host for a can.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’ve been looking at one of those to go with my Shadow 2s.

I noticed on my Urban Gray one that the overspray made it much rougher, in comparison, to my black one. This even for accounting the number of rounds fired difference. I spent some time with the 600grit smoothing it up and it’s much better and just plenty rounds to finish it up. It shoots great though.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always enjoy your posts cslinger !

Pretty much my story also. Was in my LGS, saw this model and walked out with it. Had no intention on buying anything that day. Big Grin

Also agree on your well thought out write up about the pistol.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the children are happy.

I have wanted to get into the CZ line. I had sold my HP sometime ago for a CZ, but found the HK P7 and never bought the CZ.

Several years later I got tired of the P7 and got rid of them, and have been looking at CZ's again. There are many choices CZ offers.

I don't have a can at this point, sort of was hoping the hearing protection act was going to happen as I purchased threaded barrels for my other HK's.

Now looking at the CZ's again, I may need to downsize the HK side and start to populate the CZ side of things.

Nice evaluation on the CZ.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ has impressed me, especially in the bang for the buck category. My P07 was $450 and I have seen them as low as $415. I got rid of my G19 in favor of the P07. I now have two of them.
My next CZ will be a 97.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I learned some good things from your report. Thanks.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. It should be a lot of fun. I love my CZ 75 SA. I almost took it for satin stainless in the first pic, but the grey with the black grips and controls looks sharp.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your wright up is spot on. My sentiments exactly. Love my CZs. Have a neighbor who is a mechanical engineer and can do wonders with a CZ and a Cajun Gun Works kit. He has my CZ-75 and my SP01 triggers like a high end pistol.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Added, one thing you might consider for the CZ-75B is sending the slide to Cajun to have a hole drilled in the front and having a full length recoil spring guide installed. I hated having the factory recoil spring bending catawompus inside the slide. The full length guide rod keeps the spring in align and may soften the recoil somewhat. Let me know your thoughts.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Score! Those CZ suppressor models are the best value suppressor hosts on the market IMO. Thanks for the write up.

Careful though, they multiply. Actually missing a few new additions in this photo Eek

Signed an unapologetic CZ whore

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I ordered some 9mm sized viton o-rings. So hopefully that will keep the thread protector from walking.

Once again I really dig my SP-01’s and this one is really just damn cool. It has earned my I’m gonna keep it magazine order. 10 mecgars 17 and 19’s. Smile. I am a bit of a mag whore with guns I like and generally want around 10 per gun, 8 is fine but 10 is better and in some cases more. At any rate this deserves mag whore status. (Hey I lived through the 94 ban, mags are important to me)

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy with that exact model. It suppresses really well. I don't care for the aesthetic of the sights myself, but they are perfectly fine for shooting. CZ does great stuff and it's a wonder they aren't more popular.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
cslinger, forgive me, but that rear sight is hideous. It hurts me to look at it. I'll wager it presents a grand sight picture but daaaaaaamn...

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I felt the very same way about the sights, until I ran them. They really are very good sights, fugly but great in practice.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I want to punch that rear sight in the face err punch that rear sight. Know what I mean?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Had a couple come through our inventory this year. I was pleasantly surprised at their much nicer DA triggers than my near 8yr-old black SP-01 Tactical has, both back then and as it is today. As for that weird, oddball profile of the rear sight, nothing screams out more for a date with a Dremel than that.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN!!!! Don’t we already have enough dremel on firearm violence in this country Smile

Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
I held one (SP01 Tactical TB in Urban Grey) at my LGS on Thursday. First time I’ve ever held a CZ. Couldn’t keep it out of my mind, so stopped by the store again yesterday to take another look. Was in a bit of a hurry, so didn’t pull the trigger. But went back again today and put it on layaway. Can’t wait to put my Tirant on it when I get it paid off. The way it feels in the hands us unlike any other gun I’ve held.

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post