SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New-To-Me SIG Pistol Range Bag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New-To-Me SIG Pistol Range Bag Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
Thanks to sj4550. I am now in possession of a new SIG Range Bag. I was unable to find one anywhere. They are discontinued and everyone was sold out. He had a "new old stock" and sold it to me.

Having taken it out to the range for the first time yesterday, I'm very pleased with it. My range bag for many, many years has been an I-Shot Professional. It's a great bag and it has worn well. It no longer has that "new car" look and feel, but it shows little or no wear.

I've gotten used to the layout and really like it. It works well for me. The SIG Range Bag is almost identical in layout, just smaller, and it's SIG, so what's not to like?

The logos are all nicely stitched, not printed inside and out. I really like the "SIG" logo.

The two features I like most are the interior padded pockets for pistols. The I-Shot had four, two on the removable bag and two on the main bag and they had zippers. These don't have zippers but are nicely padded and still work well. There is no need for additional pistol bags or rugs. The point of the smaller bag was smaller range trips, fewer pistols.

The other feature is the front flap that folds down and works as a gun mat for whatever I'm shooting. Like the I-Shot, this is a magazine carrier, but works as a pistol mat.

The main compartment is large enough for plenty of other stuff, mostly ammo and targets as there are other pouches inside and out for eyes and ears, binoculars, magazines and other desirable stuff.

One of the end pouches is plenty large enough for my hearing protection, which is pretty bulky, electronic ears. The other end holds a water bottle and small binoculars and is large enough for larger binoculars, eyes and perhaps spare batteries for the ears. Just like the I-Shot.

On this end too, on the pocket is a window for ID and range membership card.

There are two inner pockets at each end of the bag, just like the I-Shot, but these, which I like better, have a velcro flap that closes them and they are actually larger. These are great for a small staple gun and staples as well as various tools and cleaning/lubbing supplies.

Finally, on the other side of the bag, there are two more pockets on the outside which zip and have elastic and to secure whatever you want to put in there. I can think of a pen, a notebook, perhaps my phone and so forth. The I-Shot did not have these. So, these are a plus.

There are other bags out there with this design, the 5.11 Professional and one by Midway. The Midway Compact Competition Range Bag is very similar. And the Midway Competition bag is almost a clone of the larger I-Shot bag. It is also cheaper than the 5.11 version and, I expect, just as durable.

With the larger bags, the interior is a bag within a bag and is removable. I've never used it that way, but there you go.

The SIG bag was more expensive than the Midway version which is currently on sale. However, I believe the outside pockets on the SIG bag are larger and more utilitarian.

If I had to replace the I-Shot, I'd probably go with the more expensive 5.11 bag as it is a closer clone. There is no 5.11 smaller bag that mimics the Midway bag.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Nice write up.

I'm still very happy with my Midway I-Shot clone bag. At the range the other day a guy asked me about it, showed it to him on Midways webpage on my phone and he said he was ordering one.

If I could change one thing about the Midway bag is that it could be about 3/4 of its current size. For the money I paid though ($40) I'll just smile and use it.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Nice. It looks like it might be a little wider than it ought to be (I'd take longer, just for convenience's sake). OTOH, I would surely dig to have something on the Kolpin that I could treat as a dedicated staple gun/staples pocket - the end pockets on my bag are a freakin' mess.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I've been looking at range bags on amazon. Pretty much is frustrating.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
Very nice. I've been looking at range bags on amazon. Pretty much is frustrating.

G.P.S.. Handgunner Backpack Black GPS-1711BP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A...cp_api_6ojJBb82C25DQ

This is the one I have that my wife bought me for Valentine’s Day last year and I absolutely love it! It has so much room for EVERYTHING!

Posts: 5 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: August 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Nice. It looks like it might be a little wider than it ought to be (I'd take longer, just for convenience's sake). OTOH, I would surely dig to have something on the Kolpin that I could treat as a dedicated staple gun/staples pocket - the end pockets on my bag are a freakin' mess.

The shape is more square than some other range bags that are more rectangular. As for "ought", the square shape isn't a negative for me, at least I've not found it so using the bag.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TUALUM0982:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:

G.P.S.. Handgunner Backpack Black GPS-1711BP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A...cp_api_6ojJBb82C25DQ

This is the one I have that my wife bought me for Valentine’s Day last year and I absolutely love it! It has so much room for EVERYTHING!

What length barrels will it accommodate?