SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SBR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SBR Login/Join 
posted
Been Jonesing over a AK 9mm pistol with brace. What are the steps to SBR this gun and then can I add a regular AK folding rifle stock? Seems like the rules change by the day. Have Zero clue how I can even use the brace and what it can and can not touch?
jdshank

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well to SBR it Federally you file a Form 1 with fingerprints and $200, notice to your local LEO. Then you engrave it with your name and location and good to go if approved. Not sure if Michigan has other rules on SBR's, it might that you will have to check on your own. Once its an SBR you can put any stock you want on it (you do need to have at least one that you know the length of so you can file the Form 1). At the moment I am not sure what you are talking about on the brace issue. There may be some new regulations coming, but for now you can do whatever you want.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "rules" regarding SBRs have not changed.

The best course of action is to register for an ATF eForms account and find a guide (Reddit would be a good source) on the steps. It's not difficult, but it can be tedious.

You will need to complete the following steps:

1) Complete a Form 1 either on eForms or paper. eForms are returned in about a month. Paper is probably six or eight months. This process will require:

-Two FD-258 applicant fingerprint cards sent to ATF either with your paper form or with the cover sheet generated by eForms.

-An approximate 2"x2" color photo taken against a neutral background. For paper forms, you will need two copies if registering as an individual and one if you are registering as a trust. For eForms, you attach an image file via the eForms website.

-If registering as a trust, you will need to complete a 5320.23 responsible person questionnaire to attach to the paper form or upload via eForms.

2) Have your firearm engraved with the name of the maker (you if individual, your trust if trust) and city and state. Veritas Machining in Michigan is my go-to for this.

3) Once Form 1 is approved and receiver is engraved, you can assemble the gun as an SBR.

NOTE: If this is a foreign-made base gun, you are required to make it 922(r) compliant. There are lots of resources on this out there. The law says you have to do it, but the overall likelihood of it ever being an issue is probably less than zero.

Again, it is a tedious process, but once you've done it one time, it's not so bad.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
unless you grew a MJ plant back in '78, got caught peeing in public while on spring break, ect.

FBI will deny your application with no explanation.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
What kind of AK pistol are you looking at? AKs are not as easy to slap a stock on as an AR. There's a lot more variation in AK receiver types and stocks.

The Kalashnikov USA KP-9 uses a 5.5mm pin folding stock and brace, so if you get one of those, going from the brace to the stock would be pretty simple. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the Palmetto State version uses the same. These stocks would be the standard Russian triangle side folders.

If you're trying to mix something like a Magpul Zhukov stock with a KP-9 or something, that won't work because the receiver is different.

If you're talking about some other AK, who knows. The market for 9mm, which I assume you want, is much smaller than rifle caliber AK "pistols", which is often the wild west as far as parts compatibility.

BTW: You don't need to "inform" your chief LEO about an NFA item anymore. You list their name on the F1 (I put my state Attorney General), but you don't have to send them a letter or get their approval like you once did.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but you don't have to send them a letter

That is not correct. You don't need their approval as was true prior to 2016. But you are REQUIRED to send them a copy of the Form 1. And I sincerely doubt the correct person for you is the State AG.
Edited to add the administrative rule...https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/01/15/2016-00192/machineguns-destructive-devices-and-certain-other-firearms-background-checks-for-responsible-persons

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^The State AG in not necessarily incorrect as they are the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) of the state. I know that if you use a Silencer Shop kiosk and have them file your form(s), the default CLEO is the State AG and that's where they send the form. While that may not have been the original intent of CLEO Notification, it's not really wrong to send it there. And actually, if you think about it, your form is probably more likely to get lost in the paper shuffle at the State AG's office, as opposed to what may happen to it at your local agency, depending on whether somebody there likes to keep files or not. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how you get to the State AG under the actual regulation..." be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the applicant/transferee or responsible person is located"
But I know at my local LEO they just toss them in the trash.

posted Hide Post
Not real sure if SBR is worth the hassle? Might want a CZ Scorpion carbine instead.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdshank:
Not real sure if SBR is worth the hassle? Might want a CZ Scorpion carbine instead.

I went with the KR-9S, but after getting used to the fake can, I don't think I'm going to SBR it!

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take this as a serious warning. Once you SBR, you will begin a journey...

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
To get around the SRB issue, since at least back in 2011 the FBI said no to a suppressor for me... twice... I just bought a pistol with brace and I also have, just in case, a longer barrel and adjustable stock that can go on it.... making it a rifle.

In my opinion a short barrel on a rifle is fun but not really practical beyond the fun part at the range.... give me a real rifle and a normal full size side arm if going out in the wild. Unless you are going to sneak across the dessert and into tents and huts in the middle of the night and can only carry one weapon.... which is what I believe an uzi was designed for.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
To get around the SRB issue, since at least back in 2011 the FBI said no to a suppressor for me... twice... I just bought a pistol with brace and I also have, just in case, a longer barrel and adjustable stock that can go on it.... making it a rifle.

In my opinion a short barrel on a rifle is fun but not really practical beyond the fun part at the range.... give me a real rifle and a normal full size side arm if going out in the wild. Unless you are going to sneak across the dessert and into tents and huts in the middle of the night and can only carry one weapon.... which is what I believe an uzi was designed for.

You forgot compactness for getting in and out of vehicles, aircraft. A short rifle beats a sidearm any day of the week.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Full length barrel/rifle outdoors is great.

Moving around the interior of your home with a 9" barrel vs. a 16" barrel is significantly different. (you would not think it would make that much of a difference until you actually try it)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Well, I do have to tell y'all that I was being a little hypocritical in my comment above....since I have what I consider a short barreled rifle (rifle with short 10" barrel and brace so for now it is a pistol) in my work vehicle*. And I did it for some of the reasons listed above.

It as well as its companion.. Glock (same caliber and magazines) goes in my Highway Emergency Kit.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"