SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What does your range time look like these days?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does your range time look like these days? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I’m shooting very little. And my skills aren’t degrading much if any. I shot a 800 round class a couple weeks ago and was happy with my performance.

The reason is because I have a solid dry fire program that allows me to put in the work. Some people have scoffed in the past when I would say “dry fire is where the heavy lifting is done”. This shortage is proving my point. You don’t have to have the coolest computerized gadget or laser device to make gains. It just takes solid fundamentals and an understanding of HOW to put the work in. And these days, there is a ton of good literature from Steve Anderson and others that you don’t even have to take a class in how to dry fire.

I put in half hour a day (sometimes more) three days a week. (I have stopped training with anything other than a Glock, though)

I just live fire enough each week to verify what I am doing in dry fire is working. Two of us shot yesterday afternoon and burned maybe 40 rounds of 9mm.

For most shooters, and I’ll say this in generalities, burning live ammo is a metric by way work is measured. It’s not the case for most shooters. Excessive live fire has its uses but it’s not where the heavy lifting gets done.

Have a similar dry-fire schedule. Last year when all this started and my local range was closed due to fire danger didn't shoot for several weeks, still dry-firing. First trip out in awhile shot 200rds, felt in my hands the next day. That showed me I was getting a lazy with grip pressure during dry firing. Focusing on that pressure as well as added hand strength exercises between dry firing days.

Snow is just about done, will start shooting 100rds once a week through about October/Novemeber. That'll be about a quarter what I shot in 2017/2018/2019.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I gave the "ragged hole" drill a go today shooting at a 1" square. I finally got around to replacing the abominable ambi-safety on my SA Loaded 1911 with an EGW Heavy Duty single-sided unit. It was my first time fitting or blending a thumb safety, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. There's no movement in the sear at all, function is 100%, clearances are all good, and all the sharp edges are knocked down nicely for comfort.

I took it to the range today to function-check under live-fire. The safety worked great, and that gun still shoots awesome. 14 rounds total from 3, 5, and 7 at a one-inch square...I left feeling like there may be some hope for me after all, and wondering why I don't actually carry this gun, lol.

Posts: 8542 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post