Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vektor SP1 Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
Finally found one in nice shape; one of my grail guns. Its mostly a licensed 92 clone yet it has some Sig influence too.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Sweet!!!

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I’ll second the sweet comment. Cool Now you need to scrounge up some PMP 9x19 hardball.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Alright, you posted a unusually odd but truly nice looking gun, that I bet many of us don't know anything about, and no story/history? Come on, now. Wink

Q

Posts: 26201 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They made some neat guns. I remember when these came out with 3 other different models. How hard is it to replace the magazine release?

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
South African goodness! Cool

Nice looking guns. If I recall correctly they are fairly heavy for a service pistol. Somehow I missed that it was a locked DA/SA. Interesting, as I had thought that the HK USP introduced that feature...but apparently not.

The import mark is particularly unobtrusive...I greatly appreciate small refinements and considerations like that.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Definitely like the looks of this one better than their CP1 whose organic appearance seems like something that could've been designed by Super Soaker. Or by the prop guy from the TV show 'Lost in Space'. The SP1/SP2 at least looks like a honest pistol. But the trigger guard has always appeared too spindly and frail for its own good. A local fellow I used to shoot with from time to time had a compensated version that was kind of neat, but I never did get the chance to shoot that one.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Alright, you posted a unusually odd but truly nice looking gun, that I bet many of us don't know anything about, and no story/history? Come on, now. Wink

Hah! Well...I don't have any info other than what I can google. I've always thought they were a licensed 92 variant. They are super hard to find and other than this one being filthy inside, it's in mint shape. Its got a '95' stamp near the trigger guard so not bad for 23yrs old, eh?

Here's an album with other pics https://imgur.com/a/1cbdOeR

Info on the predecessor Z-88 model https://www.militaryfactory.co...asp?smallarms_id=254

from wikipedia:
quote:
The Vektor SP1 is an improved 9mm version of the Z-88 pistol (which is a locally produced copy of the Beretta 92F), produced since 1992 by Denel Land Systems (DLS), formerly Lyttleton Engineering Works (LIW)

The Vektor SP1 and SP2 pistols are almost the same save for the calibre and magazines, and broadly based on the Italian Beretta 92 design. SP stands for “Service Pistol” and both weapons are full-sized, holster type pistols of solid construction. Vektor also makes compact versions of both models, marketed as “General models”; these have shorter barrels, slides and grips.[1]

The Vektor SP1 is a short-recoil operated, locked-breech pistol. It uses a Walther-type tilting locking piece, located below the straight-recoiling barrel, to lock it to the slide. The frame is made from aluminium alloy, other parts are steel. The trigger is double-action, with an exposed hammer and a frame-mounted, ambidextrous safety that allows for "cocked and locked" carry. Sights are fixed; the front sight is pinned to the slide, the rear is dovetailed. Magazines are double stack; the magazine release button is located at the base of trigger-guard

SP-1 pistol is currently in service with the South African National Defence Force and the South African Police Service. Outside South Africa, the pistol is seen in use of some South-Asian countries, notably Singapore and Malaysia

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
They made some neat guns. I remember when these came out with 3 other different models. How hard is it to replace the magazine release?

same as a Beretta 92. Like, the exact same mag release. Hardest thing is working the one-piece grip off the frame (its fairly rigid and has lips the lock in the leading edge to the frame.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The safety also serves as the decocker?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8850 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like there's no decocker function. Like a CZ75. Very cool.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3180 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
No decocker. It does appear to have a firing pin block, internal to the slide. I need to look at it a little closer to see how it actuates.

Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
What a pimped out looking piece. Looks cooler than a Beretta. I want one.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know Gay Perry had a CP-1 in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I know he complains when Robert Downey Jr throws his Vektor in the lake. Dunno if that one was a SP-1 or CP-1.

Anyway, nice pick up!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember those guns well. Shooter's of Tidewater located in Norfolk Va was the original importer I believe. There were always a few in the gun case at cheaper than Beretta 92 prices but they didn't really seem to impress me that much.

At one point, there was some type of lawsuit filed in reference to some other gun they had, I think it was the "VZ" or "CP". It was a smaller pistol and the advertisement showed the pistol upside down and compared it to a sports car.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yep...the CP1's were recalled and were unsafe, IIRC

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
I remember those guns well. Shooter's of Tidewater located in Norfolk Va was the original importer I believe. There were always a few in the gun case at cheaper than Beretta 92 prices but they didn't really seem to impress me that much.

At one point, there was some type of lawsuit filed in reference to some other gun they had, I think it was the "VZ" or "CP". It was a smaller pistol and the advertisement showed the pistol upside down and compared it to a sports car.

I was at a work conference in Va Beach in the 90's, and went to the importer's shop just to see the CP 1. I really liked the looks and design of it, but didn't buy one that day.

Of course, everyone knows about the recall, but some models were redesigned to correct the defective safety feature, but by the time this happened, scant few were imported, and thereafter, the model was dropped.

I do have 2 unique souvenirs., 2 Plastic CP1 pistol keychains from my visit to the importer.

You have a nice , uncommon pistol, OP.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PGT, seeing that you're so fond of it, I'll send you a Vektor cap if you'd like. Smile

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigamt:
PGT, seeing that you're so fond of it, I'll send you a Vektor cap if you'd like. Smile

whoa! For real? I'd love one. So generous to offer...thank you.

Are these guns unloved in SA? Seems like a nicely considered evolution of a 92 so I very much appreciate it.

posted Hide Post
I've sent you a message.

I think they came out at the wrong time. The Border War ended in 1989 as did the Cold War and Mandela was released in 1990. The huge military spending ended and it was obvious that sanctions would be lifted. Foreign firearms became available again. Too much choice and too a small a market for them to survive.

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post