SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question on "Magna-Porting"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on "Magna-Porting"? Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
I have a 1994 West German P220 .45. She shows minimal signs of use on both the barrel and on the frame rails. However, she was magna-Ported by a previous owner. 2 telltale cats eyes on both the slide and the barrel. I'm not interested in selling, but I was wondering how magna-porting affects the value of the gun that (in my opinion) doesn't really need magna-porting.

Any ideas?

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As with any mod, it depends on the buyer. If someone really thinks a couple holes are super cool, they may pay a bit more (but don't expect to recoup all original cost). Someone like me would refuse to buy.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Color me uninterested also. For that particular pistol, it would seriously de-value it.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Don't think it would effect the value or integrity of the pistol much depending on the level of craftsmanship.

As far as what it looks like, it can't be as bad as what they are doing with the current Desert Eagle.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I just acquired a 1995 P220, and would not have even considered it, if it had been "ported".

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've shot a couple Mag-na-ported guns, and have owned a few P220s. I agree, the P220 doesn't need it. For me, a ported gun would be a deal breaker. From comments I've seen on firearms enthusiast sites, it would appear to me that porting makes most guns less desirable.....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure it is actually devalued but it would make less desirable to most P220 fans.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
That would be a "No Sale" for me.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
That would be a "No Sale" for me.

Same here. It may look cool but I would never buy one.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of used guns in general, but especially if they’ve had some nonfactory modification. As for Mag-na-porting, after much research back when the process was new, I had an S&W model 66 (357 Magnum) and model 29 (44 Magnum) ported because everyone agreed that the more powerful cartridges benefited from it, but low pressure rounds like the 45 ACP not so much. (I no longer have the 29 and the 66 has a nonported barrel now.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
IMO Magnaporting lowers the value on every gun it's done to. Basing it on watching certain guns sell at lower prices or really not sell at all.

I own two that I wish weren't.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt lightweight officer's model that was magnaported. I've tried selling it numerous times and no one seems to want it. The porting is very effective but apparently not very popular.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. Your opinions pretty much mimic my own. Except that it was such a good deal at the time.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I own several Mag-Na-Ported revolvers and like what the modification does for the gun

Semi-Autos are different

I personally would not MAg-Na-Port a semi auto, but I would have no problem buying one as a shooter grade firearm.

I would simply put a non-ported barrel in the slide

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a number of factory ported guns(revolvers and semi auto) plus a couple that I sent to MagnaPort to have ported. I like the end result, and would be more interested in a gun if ported.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
My 6" S&W 29 has Magna Porting. It helps keep the muzzle down, but doesn't do much for recoil. I don't see where the 220 would benefit from it very much.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
My experience with Mag-na-porting, a S&W .41 Magnum and 12 Ga. semi-auto shotgun, is consistent with what beltfed said. Mag-na-porting is definitely effective in keeping the muzzle down. But as a result, recoil is more straight back, and uncomfortable to me. After trying out those two guns, both belonging to others, I had no desire to
have any of my guns ported......ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Smith 629 "Camp Gun", which came with a factory ported 3 inch bbl, and a lanyard ring. Recoil not bad at all, even with older factory loads. Downside, is that about 4 shots of cast bullets, and the red ramp front sight blends into the other muck on the barrel. And, you really want to wear NRR 30 muffs with this one, adding plugs would be even better.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a 44mag and a 454 magnaported and was worthwhile but would not for a lesser caliber

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post