SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I assume your research concluded the .380 is as effective as .38?
Actually, no, at least not when compared to loads like the Speer GD 135 grain, but the difference is negligible.

Insufficient penetration is the issue with .380 hollowpoints. Few .380 hollowpoints loads seem to meet the 12" minimum in ballistic gel. The .38 Special doesn't have this problem, at least not with loads like the Gold Dot.

The Hornady XTP is my choice in .380 but I wanted it to be the Speer Gold Dot. Glocks and Gold Dots- that's a classic combination for me. My pistol just doesn't seem to shoot the Gold Dot well, but it likes the XTP just fine. Also, the .380 Gold Dot seems to underpenetrate a bit.

An alternate choice is the Black Hills 100 grain fmj, which, surprisingly, is much less susceptible to overpenetration than other fmj loads.

http://www.black-hills.com/wp-...in-barrel-6-3-13.jpg

The projectile tumbles rather than zips right on through. If you you look closely at that pic, you can see that the bullet is sitting base forward.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Neither dead or on life support, in my view.

They are less popular than they used to be, but not on the edge of vanishing.

Mine is about the easiest to carry concealed gun I have. It is an Air-Lite, and weighs just 16 ounces fully loaded. Only the tiny autos are lighter, and they aren't .357 or even as powerful as .38+P.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Neither dead or on life support, in my view.

They are less popular than they used to be, but not on the edge of vanishing.

Hell, I still want one.

But we all gotta have our super tactical, high capacity Navy SEAL Special Operator guns first!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've got at 642 and although I don't carry it much, it's not going anywhere soon. There is not much money invested in it and I like it for it's simplicity and reliability. I consider it a Just in Case gun.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're a wild man.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
Barring some future form of legislation that bans or severely restricts semi-auto firearms the revolver will eventually go the way of black powder/ cap and ball firearms. It wont happen tomorrow, or next week or even next year, but it is going to happen, and sooner rather than later.

Aside from a ban based on action type, a more severe law limiting capacity would have the same effect. I would choose a 6-shot .357 revolver over a 6-8 shot single stack 9mm every day of the week if my choices were that limited. Today’s 10-round limits in some states still favor semi autos but if that dropped to 6-8 I believe revolvers would make something of a comeback in the civilian market.

Contrary to what you posted about guide guns/outdoor guns, I don’t believe semiautomatic pistols will ever displace revolvers in that field. No mechanism that requires rounds to feed, extract, and eject is ever going to match the versatility of a revolver that can handle any bullet size/weight within a large range, any shape, and any charge all the way from powderpuff to rhino-stopping. Even the basic 19th century single action revolver still lives on in that market because of the versatility of the revolver with regard to ammo, and because none of the tactical advantages of a semi-auto or even a double action revolver are relevant for a recreational outdoor/hunting handgun.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
I have both types. But in the long run the revolver will will be here forever. In my humble opinion the KISS method will prevail.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The semi autos are the new craze. There's still allot of people that would rather carry a small 5 shot J frame or similar. My wife has her Sig P 238 but rather carry her M 442 Smith and does. For the inexperienced shooter the revolver is the way to go.
Revolvers are so fool proof especially when it's under a stressful situation.

In the last 6 months I got good deals on both a Lock less M 442 and a M 642. I carry them once in awhile but my go to guns are still and most likely will always be my P 938 and P 238. I carry a different gun for different occasions. If I go on a trip I carry something bigger.
It's pretty obvious that the revolvers have slipped in popularity. If they will ever make a come back who knows but I'm sure there will always be revolvers for those who prefer them.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support?

Someone is buying them besides myself. Local sportsman warehouse can't hardly keep em in stock. They go thru a bunch of them. It does not matter If it a J frame Ruger SP101 or Ruger LCR they go fast when they get them in. Been that way for years. I own 7 five shooters. My 9mm LCR has a nest in my coat pocket.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I own 2. If you want to pocket carry, it's the only way to go. They aren't dead. They have a specific purpose.

Frankly, the reason I like a snubby, is that I can shoot it through my clothes. Winter or summer, I'll get one round or more out of the gate if I need to.

Late to this party, but Arc's post covers the J frame niche nicely.

Additionally I consider them a sort of "in case of emergency break glass" item. You can have one stashed away loaded and still count on it decades from now. Maybe I'm too paranoid of gremlins, but I've always had a niggling doubt about long term storage of loaded magazines.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had been considering moving to a small 9 instead of my long time companion an all steel I frame I have shot for 30+ years. Handled a bunch and thought I settled on the sig 938. Had the chance to use a local range rental today and found I did not shoot any faster or
More accurately than I did with the j and decided to stick with my
Old j.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have never had any luck shooting a J Frame. My lack of dexterity and the pain from shooting one caused me to sell every one I bought.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I don’t see them going anywhere. I took my 360 to the range yesterday and shot this group double action at 7 yards (which isn’t far) with 125gr +p semi-jacketed HP’s. Nothing to sneeze at. There were guys next to me that couldn’t do the same with full-size service weapons. The Snubby is handy, concealable, reliable, and accurate.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
I have never had any luck shooting a J Frame. My lack of dexterity and the pain from shooting one caused me to sell every one I bought.

I would bet money every one you had was an alloy frame too. The all steel frame makes a world of difference. I can routinely hit a uspsa size steel gong at 100 yards 4 of 5 shots with my all steel j.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 5 shot revolver today! Guess they're not dead yet. Picked up a GP100 in 44 Special. Very comfortable to shoot. Nice trigger. Didn't need it, but I'd looked at it for 3 months hoping it wouldn't be there long. We'll see if it can beat out my G29 for woods gun!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
quote:

I would bet money every one you had was an alloy frame too. The all steel frame makes a world of difference. I can routinely hit a uspsa size steel gong at 100 yards 4 of 5 shots with my all steel j.

Good bet.

posted Hide Post
Agree they are not as popular as they once were. But that does not negate the simplicity and reliability of the snub.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 7mm Mauser
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
quote:

Good bet.

Lightweight 5 shooters can give the same kind of jolt to the hand as a first encounter with an LCP. Steel J frames aren’t much heavier than J frame lights yet handle recoil from standard 158 SWC/RN and 125 JHP +P well enough to hitch a regular ride in the range bag. I recently picked up a 50 box of Fed 158 RN for $20 at Walmart. These RN populate my HKS speed loader to keep it speedy. I load up Buffalo Bore 158 LHP death rays when I pack my M36.

Port Orchard, WA

Posts: 170 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I carry a Model 36 5 shot.
It won't jam.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Agree they are not as popular as they once were. But that does not negate the simplicity and reliability of the snub.

That is true. But, are sales diminishing??