SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support? Login/Join 
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
18DAI, Since you're in a position to know what's selling, and what's not, I appreciate hearing your comments. I have .38 and 9MM 5-shooter revolvers, but it does seem to me that the little .380 and 9MM semi-autos are taking over the position formerly occupied by the little snubbies. The little semi-autos would seem to be the "Wave of the Future" with firearms buyers in general interested in a little carry gun. I am one of those "older folks", but sometimes carry a small semi-auto myself. That being said, several women in my extended family all chose various J-frame type .38 revolvers over any semi-autos. I suspect this was because they chose what they were actually comfortable with, rather than what some male influenced/pressured them to buy. I've never worked in a gun shop, but have seen plenty of evidence of significant-other males influencing women to buy, or buying for them, what the male thinks they should have. Or what the male thinks is Kooool and actually wants for himself. A neighbor bought his wife one of those Judge revolver/carbine things for "home protection". OH Brother! Have you seen this influencing/pressuring in your work in the gun shop?

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The Kimber K6 is an excellent snub revolver. Well made with an excellent trigger. Far superior to any current offering from the present company calling itself s&w.

BUT - it is a 6-shot. Wink

As for pocket carry, my CS9 vanishes in the pocket of my fatigues and khakis, when I use a flat base mag. But pocket carry is not my preferred mode of carry. In an IWB holster I find a flat compact or sub compact semi auto far more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Rock185 YES - EVERYDAY!! And I can tell you that the couples who come in with the male steering the conversation, and direction of what the female is going to buy, often leave with nothing. Those that dont get into an argument and walk out (a small percentage) often leave with what the husband wants to buy and shoot. Not her.

I bypass all that B.S. by letting the male get through his speech about what she needs and what she can't shoot. Then I look directly at her and ask "I thought he said this gun is for you? What do you want in a handgun? Tell me." The usual result is her shooting him a look and then she talks to me and I start letting her look at WHAT SHE WANTS TO SEE.

Works out pretty well, for me.......and her!! Wink Smile

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have finally convinced my wife she needs her own gun, I am thinking of either .38 or .380. This wouldn't be for carry though, but for home defense.

I don't think they are dead, but will probably be a small market

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say dead, but certainly struggling. The new little single stacks are very popular, and for good reason. I have one that I don't care for, particularly, but I would like to move it eventually and try another. My little 5 shot SW will always have a home here, though...

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You may not have noticed, but the sale of six shot revolvers isn't what it once was either. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I'd rather carry my 649 than ANY .380

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
The Pat Rogers Memorial Revolver Round Up will be Nov. 18-19 2017 at the Dallas Pistol Club.

http://www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com/

Sounds like serious revolver fun.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OcCurt:

When was the last time anybody attended a training event where a revolver was the primary sidearm used by anybody? I haven't seen one in at least fifteen years or more. When was the last time someone strapped on a black powder Hogleg for everyday carry?

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I own 3 small revolvers, 2-6 shot (327 Federal Magnum) and 1 -5 shot 38 Special, I carried the 327 snubs 2" bbls for a while, but just could not get the accuracy I am getting with them that I get with my Walther PPS M1.

Yes, times have changed , the new small semi autos are much more reliable than your grandfathers small semi auto pistols.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
The Pat Rogers Memorial Revolver Round Up will be Nov. 18-19 2017 at the Dallas Pistol Club.

http://www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com/

Sounds like serious revolver fun.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OcCurt:

When was the last time anybody attended a training event where a revolver was the primary sidearm used by anybody? I haven't seen one in at least fifteen years or more. When was the last time someone strapped on a black powder Hogleg for everyday carry?

You'll notice that they have this whole event for revolvers, which wasn't the question.

Go to a self-defense-focused class or match that's done come-as-you-are with your carry weapon. Count the wheelguns.

Other posters are right, wheelguns (and snubbies) have their uses. Hunting, "five for sure" pocket carry. I keep one around for snakes if/when I ever go hiking again where venom noodles are plentiful. But a lot of pocket carriers are migrating away from this platform, leaving it to specialty/niche uses or personal preference.

That puts it on life support. It's no longer the dominant pocket/BUG platform it was ten or more years ago. As other posters actually in the industry have said, they're not selling compared to small autos.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
People don't realize that snub revolvers aren't beginner's guns, they aren't "women's'" guns... they are guns for experts.

Compared to a full size revolver firing the same round the snub will have greater perceived recoil, reduced perceived accuracy and reduced ammunition effectiveness.

Less mass and less grip surface contribute to greater perceived recoil.

Shorter sight radius contributes to reduced perceived accuracy.

Short barrels produce actual reduced ammunition effectiveness as well as greater report and flash.

All this contributes to beginners not enjoying shooting the weapons, reduced or nonexistent practice and "put the gun the drawer and forget it" syndrome. You don't teach someone how to drive in a Ferrari and you don't teach someone to shoot with a J-frame.

That said, for a properly trained and motivated shooter the snub revolver is not dead. Also, for people with grip strength issues the revolver is easier to manipulate, has a simpler manual of arms and won't malfunction because of "limp wrist" and similar shooter inadequacies.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I just got a Taurus 85 for my front pocket...

I usually carry a Glock 19, but sometimes clothing requires something else.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well, not really. Some are just fun to shoot with.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still a fan. I haven't seen a small 9mm that fits in a front pocket better than a j frame.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

Go to a self-defense-focused class or match that's done come-as-you-are with your carry weapon. Count the wheelguns.

There you go. If the guys in that course aren't shooting it, then it's dead. They're gods word, the final say, and proof of firearm ownership and use across the spectrum.

It isn't possible that any of them carry one on an ankle, pocket, or elsewhere as their own backup. If they're not using it as their primary, then it just doesn't exist. Perfect straw man logic.

I carry a G32. I also carry a 642. How could this be?

I have a course scheduled to attend in December. I'll shoot a G19 (I think). Might that mean that I don't carry a j-frame "wheel gun?"

It might not.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
My wife tried a Model 36 and later the LCR in .38 SPL. She didn't care for the recoil of either one, but the Glock 42 suited her just fine. She also shoots it better than the revolvers. The LCR I'll carry loaded with snakeshot to ward off poisonous snakes I often encounter while in the countryside. My carry gun for the most art these days is also a G42. Ruger has reintroduced the SP101 in .327 Federal, this time with a 4.2 inch barrel. It's a six shot, and that revolver has piqued my interest enough so that I might have to buy one.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I first bought an LCR for pocket carry, only to discover the increased size of it's custom grips made it too big to conceal completely in many pockets--including all my jeans pockets Frown

A year or so ago I replaced it with an LCP-CT. That little .390 fits anywhere and becomes invisible.

I haven't carried the LCR since. Too bad, really, because it's a nice little revolver that I shoot pretty well.

I suppose I'll put it up for sale, as soon as I get around to taking photos...

Maybe. I'm beginning to lose interest in another P229, and, after thoroughly cleaning the LCR, a couple weeks ago, I dry-fired it a few times--and was reminded of what a nice DA trigger that little wheel gun has.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This summer I shot a bug match and decided to use my Model 60 1.875” with speed strips for the match. I believe i was the only guy shooting a bug revolver but could have been one other person. Everyone else was using a semi auto platform. I have a lot of J frames and carry them frequently. What i’d forgotten was shooting under pressure, reloading under pressure with speed strips and even being close to accurate is a perishable skill. 60 plus rounds later, it was an eye opener. I still love em but they have their purpose.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
It doesn't help that the modern J-frame has one of the worst out of the box triggers. Comparing my modern 442 no lock to my mothers old 442 no lock is night and day.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Years ago I tried to love both a parkerized Charter Arms 38 snubby and a stainless Taurus 3" 85S. Flipped them along with a Kel-Tec P11 and a AMT 380 II (one that actually worked and was reliable). For revolvers still have a 1987 vintage 4" S&W M681-1 and 1990 Taurus 6" 686 but neither sees much use anymore. Bottom line is that I moved to a Sig P238 for deep concealment and haven't looked back. Dan Wesson 45acp CCO and a FM Detective Hi-Power 9mm are available for strong side CCW carry. 5 shot snubbies are no longer on my radar.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post