SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support? Login/Join 
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I don't own any snub-nose five-shot revolvers. I carry a Sig P938 as a BUG in my right-front pants pocket. A five shot-revolver looks like I have a pregnant hamster in my pocket while the Sig P938 can be mistaken for a cell phone.

I do own a six-shot 2 1/2" Colt Python and a six-shot 2" Colt Cobra shipped in 1952 because I collect Colts. My most often conceal carried revolvers are a 4" Colt Python .357 magnum or a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum on my belt.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just checked the vital signs of my 642.
Still with me!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I think either of those will get the job done!

quote:
Originally posted by LimaCharlie:

My most often conceal carried revolvers are a 4" Colt Python .357 magnum or a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum on my belt.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I have a pre S&W Model 36 Flat Latch 5 shot revolver that I carry in my pants pocket or in my Motorcycle Vest Pocket. It's not dead yet and it's not going anywhere.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will not disagree with the OP, because he is seeing what people are buying, today, in real time. I really love both revolvers and auto-loaders. My first handgun, in 1982 or 1983, was a 1911, but I learned to love revolvers when I was required to carry them, on and off the clock, as a rookie police officer.

Regarding the absence of revolvers in training classes, well, revolvers are a hindrance during high-volume-fire training, especially if the residue from dirty-burning ammo starts gumming-up the works. Few training classes are truly revolver-neutral, so the revolver shooters are constantly playing catch-up. I would rather arrive at a class with a massive quantity of magazines, pre-loaded, to minimize the distraction of stuffing ammo into magazines or cylinders, and to better hear what the instructor is likely to be saying.

Regarding the weapons, themselves, J-Snubs are, literally, a pain, for my aging hands. I prefer the larger SP101, and absolutely love the hand-filling GP100. I rarely carry my one J-Snub, because it is usually smaller than necessary.

For the sake of my aging, aching hands, and the times I do need something quite small to carry, I may be about to try a G42. This could potentially relegate my J-Snub to the safe.

My larger revolvers are still important, to me, and about to be more so, as I will soon retire from LEO-ing, and spending much more time in rural areas. Indeed, my most-recent acquisition is a pre-owned Wiley Clapp edition 3” GP100, with a nicely-bobbed spurless hammer. A spur-less revolver seems to be an ideal grandpa gun, as I will be carrying infant and toddler grandsons more of the time.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I love magnum revolvers and always will. The only non-magnum revolver I own is a model 36, which I like very much, but I now seldom use it for self protection.

My wife also owns a model 36 and refuses to give it up as her go to pistol.

That being said, we are older humans that grew up in the revolver age. I believe the 5 shot revolver is on life support.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just put another s&w j-frame 5 shot revolver on layaway yesterday, while picking up two other handguns.

Several revolvers purchased in the last few months, carried in the last few days.

It just doesn't feel dead or on life support. I keep finding them for sale, and keep buying them. So do others. And darn it, someone keeps making them. Just handled several nice Kimber revolvers yesterday, too. They didn't feel on life support, either.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just handled a S&W 640 Pro. Liked it very much. Was going to buy it until I noticed the JJ marked 226 in the case for $479 on consignment.

I don't seen the 5 shot revolver going anywhere. Colt would not have brought the Cobra back (yes, I know it holds six)if there was no market for it. Same with that overpriced Kimber revolver.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Oddly the J frames all fit well in my own pocket....yet such as the 317 are just too damn light;

the 36 I had for some time didn't like to go bare and repeatedly snagged the hammer on practice retrievals; it was a marvelous shooting platform.

Any of the Sub 18 oz. Js are just to annoying to shoot regardless of how effortless they carry....or am I missing something that should be looked at?

My vintage 4" Diamondback is a marvel but begins to resemble some kind of tumor in the pocket.

I have yet to become content with any belt carry anything in public.

There's some 380 autos that fit well enough in pocket. The PPK/s models seem just a little pudgy to remain unobvious. What to do what to do....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I would suggest finding a S&W CS9. 8 rounds of 9mm in a 380 sized package.

Mine is a joy to carry. It is small, light weight, bet your life reliable and accurate. It fits in the front pocket of my cargo pants and tacticals using a DeSantis Nemesis holster and a mag with a flat basepad.

They can be difficult to find ascthey are out of print. The current company calling itself s&w preferring to push out cheap striker fired junk. Good luck! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AFAIC, when I decided to switch from IWB or belt carry to pocket carry, my P938 and 1911's went into storage and the J frames came back out. Yes, my 938 did fit my front pocket well but, I couldn't always pull it quickly. Those blocky edges always got in the way and no matter what I did, it still showed a pistol shape in my pocket. The little J frames are a bit wider due to the cylinder but pull like a greased pig without fail and really don't look like a firearm in the pocket.

Plus the manual of arms on a revolver is SO much simpler than an auto. Want to fire it???.... just pull the trigger and keep pulling it.

Posts: 116 | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
As opposed to, say, a Glock 43?

quote:

<snip>

Plus the manual of arms on a revolver is SO much simpler than an auto. Want to fire it???.... just pull the trigger and keep pulling it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

quote:

<snip>

Ya' as opposed to the need for the firing pin to initiate and the recoil spring to be firm enough to drive the slide while the extractor firmly grabs the rim of the cartridge to hit the extractor correctly to eject the round and the the mag spring to be firm enough to ensure that the new round does not nose dive and jam the round.

Yup, as opposed to a Glock 43.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Point of order, that's may be how it internally operates, but that isn't manual of arms. Manual of arms is the human interaction with the gun.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_of_arms

So once loaded and ready to fire, as they would be in a holster or pocket, the manual of arms is the same, aim and pull the trigger.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

quote:

<snip>

Ya' as opposed to the need for the firing pin to initiate and the recoil spring to be firm enough to drive the slide while the extractor firmly grabs the rim of the cartridge to hit the extractor correctly to eject the round and the the mag spring to be firm enough to ensure that the new round does not nose dive and jam the round.

Yup, as opposed to a Glock 43.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
I'll carry my SP101 from time to time. since I only carry concealed my choice of hand gun is somewhat dictated by wardrobe and whim.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vero8:
some words

Have not seen you post here in a long time. Nice to see you back.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Originally posted by Vero8:
some words

Have not seen you post here in a long time. Nice to see you back.

--------------------
Thanks Opus, I lurk more than post these days but I'm still around Cool

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our sp101 sees near daily use and is still going strong. My dads edc is an LCR.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sixgunner455
posted Hide Post
I bought a 642-2 in 2004, and carried it in a horsehide pocket holster or SmartCarry daily for over ten years as my only carry gun. And it looks it. Eventually, I bought an ankle holster to add that choice.

I tried running the little beast in a couple of matches. It was interesting and fun, but also educational.

Easy to carry. Hard to shoot both fast and well at the same time; slow to reload; small ammo capacity on tap. My wife hates shooting it. My daughter doesn't mind it. Both prefer the G42, and I'm warming up to the idea. Been carrying a couple of different guns, experimenting with a more capable shooter to replace it with, and have for now settled on the G26 for edc. More than double the capacity, gets the gun out of my pocket, easy to shoot fast and well. People act like I'm crazy to like it so much as opposed to a G19 or G17, but I'm not replacing a big gun that stays home all the time, I'm replacing a little gun I'll actually carry all the time.

One reason I'm contemplating getting a couple more G42s (one for my pocket gun, one for my daughter) is because I hate shooting heavy bullets and anything +P through the 642. It got to the point I'd only shoot 130 gr FMJ, 125 gr lead softball loads, 105 gr lead bunny fart loads, or 125 gr Gold Dot standard pressure loads, and I started looking at the numbers, and ... .380 loads give up little, if anything, to that level of .38 Special loading.

I still like the gun, but if somebody offered me a straight trade for a G42? It'd be hard to turn down.

Posts: 1685 | Location: Here be Dragons! | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It started about two years ago when my Kimber micro went back to Yonkers for repairs. It came back still not running 100% and was subsequently sold. I was finally over the pocket auto craze. My CS9 was eating the plastic and now discontinued recoil spring guide rod. I had tried an xds 45 that would randomly fail to return to battery and a Kahr pm9 that would shed rounds from the spare magazine. I tried a micro desert eagle that provided slide bite and tried to learn the false reset on the original LCP. My Sig p238 had the front sight walk off the slide and I am sure that I am forgetting one or two.

Anyway, I bought a 438 and discovered some previously unknown to me advantages. One being that without a slide, it took much less effort to conceal. The right angle at the rear of a slide always required special considerations on my part.

Second, after some use, no trigger job mind you but honest usage allowing the contact surfaces to smooth themselves, the trigger proved exceptionally smooth.

Third, a spare speed strip proved easier to carry and required less maintenance than a magazine.

I still had the single action option and had found my unicorn as the industry appears to be purposefully denying us smaller da/sa options. I quickly purchased a Ruger SP101 with a brass bead front sight and Novak style rears as I began to take the idea of carrying a 5 shot snubby more seriously.

And I couldn't be happier!

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post