SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5-shot revolver. If not dead, on life support? Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

Go to a self-defense-focused class or match that's done come-as-you-are with your carry weapon. Count the wheelguns.

There you go. If the guys in that course aren't shooting it, then it's dead. They're gods word, the final say, and proof of firearm ownership and use across the spectrum.

Ya wanna go back and re-read my two previous posts, and the parts about how I'm not selling mine, and then apply a little reading comprehension to what I'm actually saying?

Maybe read the whole rest of the thread and see that my experience isn't in the least bit exceptional?

It ain't dead but it sure as heck isn't getting any popular.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've got one J frame, but now yall have me wanting another!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or did that first line trigger your little snowflake feelings too badly?

Ah, now it's name calling. First straw man arguments and now you've taken the intellectual high road.

Conversation over, mate. You're far too witty.

I feel fine. Putting you on the ignore list does that.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, guys

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that, Para. Night shift getting to me, hence the edit.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe there are other choices on the market that at first glance look "better". I have been doing this for 21 years and have tried every pocket .380 and 9mm ever produced but i come back to the j frame every time. Not that i won't carry my G43 now and again, but 9 times out of 10 its either a Smith 337 or 342 or my 360SS. Always with .38.
I agree 100% that they can be a handful to shoot, and require lots of practice but once you get it down there is nothing safer(really hard for an AD with one of these) and more reliable.
At 5 yards, it will do the trick every time.
Maybe a little less noticed and not as popular but definitely not dead.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
This was simply an FYI. Btw, my next 2 firearm purchases are going to be revolvers. A few more guys are shooting them at our local steel challenge matches.

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ironmike57:
The Pat Rogers Memorial Revolver Round Up will be Nov. 18-19 2017 at the Dallas Pistol Club.

http://www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com/

Sounds like serious revolver fun.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OcCurt:

When was the last time anybody attended a training event where a revolver was the primary sidearm used by anybody? I haven't seen one in at least fifteen years or more. When was the last time someone strapped on a black powder Hogleg for everyday carry?

You'll notice that they have this whole event for revolvers, which wasn't the question.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Here is a thread from M4 where a guy ran 2 x GP100s in a pistol class. They said he rocked.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showt...ense&highlight=gp100

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I chuckle when folks call the OP's premise nonsense, because "they" carry a revolver. I carry a revolver also and I think the OP is dead on. I bet out of two dozen new shooters out looking for a carry gun, only one will say, "I'd like to have that 5 shot revolver."

It is real. New shooters are entering the ranks in droves, but they don't buy revolvers. Go to a damn gun store (a big one with traffic like Cabelas or Bass Pro) and stand at the counter for an hour. See how many ask to see the "revolvers" in the case.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I do like my .380 LCP for ease of pocket carry, but my S&W 638 is really not that much harder to pocket carry. It also just feels like a much more capable fight'ng gun to me.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popularity shifts back and forth. Right now it's semis. Revolvers may or may not come back. Personally, I think the "life support" theory is a little over the top. I've been hearing the 1911 is dead for 30 years. It really doesn't matter. If I'm the last man on the planet with a .38, so be it.

I have always preferred 6 shot revolvers, and am currently enjoying my Kimber DCR K6s. I am considering their 3 inch version as well, once I sort out my accumulation and sell a few items.

My EDC is a P250SC. I usually have the DCR or a j-frame on my left. Revolvers seem to work better in my left hand.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Popularity shifts back and forth. Right now it's semis. Revolvers may or may not come back.
Sorry, but you're dreaming.

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was simply an FYI. Btw, my next 2 firearm purchases are going to be revolvers. A few more guys are shooting them at our local steel challenge matches.

Not once in this thread have I said that revolvers don't have a place in someone's line-up (I have said that revolvers have been removed from professional arms, which is true), nor have I said revolvers are "dead", or that there are still not people buying them, or that revolvers are somehow second tier, second rate or not worth producing and marketing by the manufacturers.

The question posed by the OP was is the 5 shot revolver dead or on life support.

So far the general consensus is that the revolver is on life support. And maybe "life support" is the wrong term.

I don't think the revolver is dead, nor do I think it will die anytime soon. But I also don't think it is on life support either. I do think that the modern revolver, in the next twenty or thirty or forty or fifty years is going to become a novelty, collectors item, niche sporting/competition gun. Just like black powder weapons are used today, and I don't think black powder is on any kind of life support either. Their role has simply changed. Just as we are seeing with modern revolvers.

This is not a bad thing. In fact it's a good thing.

It likely ensures the presence of revolvers in the hands of shooters, sportsmen, and collectors and will continue to generate interest in new shooters for, hopefully, a very, very long time.

quote:
Here is a thread from M4 where a guy ran 2 x GP100s in a pistol class. They said he rocked.

I thinks its awesome someone went out and rocked a modern shooting course with wheelguns. I mean that sincerely. But it is also an exception, a novelty if you will. Wink The course sounds like it was for fun. It wasn't something done for professional purposes or development for Mil/LE.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Was shooting pins (informally) on Thursday nights for a while. One night there was a guy there using a revolver. He was fast. In one round he had a failure to fire. He reloaded and still shot an acceptable time. It was really something to see.

But that doesn't change the OP's premise, which, like-it-or-not, is probably accurate.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a close quarters physical confrontation - I'll stick with my 5 shot j-frame.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My other EFFECTIVE 5 shot revolver is a Judge Public Defender!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySxdhBtKCnc

Mine is for protection and killing snakes on my small ranch.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
One compact 9mm that we can not keep in stock is that Walther PPS. The last 9 of those that I sold, were to people who came in wanting to see the s&w shield.

After they had trouble racking the slide and tried the shields trigger, I put the PPS in their hand. SOLD!! And for $30 more than the price of the shield you get a 3rd mag and night sights. The gun sells itself. I'm surprised that I don't see more threads about the PPS.

Three of the females who purchased the PPS also looked at the LCR in 38. Their reasons for going with the semi auto over the 5 shot LCR were all identical. More capacity and easier to conceal.

We don't advocate off body carry in our shop. We have a few different IWB holsters for women in the shop and we advise females to go to various websites for more carry options.

And we sell far more 9mm compacts than we do 380 compacts or sub compacts. The manager has told us that after January he will stop stocking the s&w bodyguard 380. Horrible gun with a lousy trigger. We have been sitting on the same half dozen of those for over a year.

Going forward we will only stock G42 and LCPII. And of course being a Sig master dealer we will still stock the 238. But it is a slow seller too. The 938 outsells it 3 to 1.

We have the same 4 J-frames in stock that we had over a year ago when I started. Friday all 4 went in the clearance case. I suspect we will no longer carry s&w J-frames anymore either. The LCR outsells them and IMO........and apparently the opinion of many others, is a better 5-shot revolver.

If you like that sort of thing. Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
I chuckle when folks call the OP's premise nonsense, because "they" carry a revolver. I carry a revolver also and I think the OP is dead on. I bet out of two dozen new shooters out looking for a carry gun, only one will say, "I'd like to have that 5 shot revolver."

Exactly. Nobody in their right mind is calling revolvers an inferior or terrible platform. The OP simply noticed that revolvers are just a fraction of handgun sales in his shop and it doesn't take a gunshop employeee to realize this is nationwide.

I remember back in the day, perhaps 20 years ago maybe later, the big constant debate of revolver vs. semi-auto for carry or home defense. "I can't trust semi-autos, they're unreliable, they jam, etc."
Don't hear that argument anymore.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
The LCR outsells them and IMO........and apparently the opinion of many others, is a better 5-shot revolver.

I've a buddy with a J-frame. I have an LCR. Neither he, nor I, nor a mutual friend of ours can hit worth squat with his J-frame at seven paces. I shoot the LCR "passably well" and he shoots it better than his own J-frame. The LCR has a better grip and a much better trigger.

That grip, though... Is it not written that "there are no free lunches?" His J-frame will conceal in a jeans pocket. My LCR will not. Not in any jeans I have, anyway. The main difference, A/B'ing the two, is the grip: The LCR's is much bigger in all dimensions.

Shooting his J-frame is no fun at all. Shooting my LCR ain't half bad. I won't say you couldn't give me a J-frame, but I'd turn around and sell it if you did. My LCR? It's a neat little revolver and I like it. Never shot a J-frame I wanted to shoot again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Based on sales ensigmatic, I'd say a lot of folks are discovering what you and I have already found out. Wink

Ruger is making a very nice revolver these days. And unlike the current company posing as s&w, they give you a good trigger right out of the box. The s&w of today is NOT our daddy's S&W. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post