SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Torn on which Sig P365 to get....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torn on which Sig P365 to get.... Login/Join 
Captain Obvious
posted
So I already have a G19 and CZ PCR for carry guns. However I am drawn to the P365. I like the looks and quite frankly the capacity to size ratio.

I figure I have waited long enough for all the kinks to be worked out. When I originally was interested in the P365, only the base model was out. How there is the P365XL as well.

I am now torn on which I should get. My gut tells me stick with the regular P365 but my concern for regret tells me to get the P365XL.

Can anyone provide some insight into one way or the other? Thanks guys and gals.

Posts: 3364 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the standard 365 after a lot of pondering. Ultimately I decided that for a concealed carry gun, I could always make the P365 grip longer (with the 12 and 15 round mags), but I could never make the XL shorter, at least not without switching to a standard 365 grip frame. I also did not see myself wanting to mess with an optic on it as the options in optics for a micro gun currently do not interest me.

I bet you would be happy with either one, though. They really are an amazing gun to carry.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I have both as of yesterday. I picked up the XL in the hopes of getting a happy medium between carrying my Glock 19 and my P365.

My break in was brutal. I've found out two things. First, the XL tolerances are extremely tight. Second, it has to be oiled well. In the first 150 rounds, I had about 12 failure to return to full battery. It would extract, cycle and feed just till the last 1/64" and then hang up. Each time, a slight nudge with my thumb would send it into full battery.

I am averaging about 200 rounds before it starts to give me fits. I hit 200 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 FMJ after a good cleaning and lube and no issues. 205th round and it did it again. Pulled the slide, lubed the rails and barrel, and it ran around 115 rounds with zero issues.

I've never had a weapon be such a PITA to break in and need so much lube. My P365's initial outing, I ran 250 rounds of various ammo with zero issues. Cleaned and lubed it and hit the 1000 mark later that week with zero issue.

I'm still torn. I've tried a different lube and will run another few hundred before I'm satisfied. I'm at 566 now and it's still just as tight as when I bought it.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
Whew....those FTF issues are enough for me to think I need to stick with the regular p365 and wait a while longer for the p365 xl.

posted Hide Post
Similar to Dabig's thinking, I'd start with the 365. You can always create a 365 X with a 12 round magazine, and a 365 L by buying a separate 365xl upper (albeit for ~ $375).
That's what I did, and it feels great and is as or more accurate. But I have had the exact same RTB issues as Rockchalk with my 365xl upper. I am waiting on a new RSA from Sig CS.
You have a PCR and G19 -- the 365 is great and would fill a gap, and you can always turn it into an xl.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
Once you get some time under your belt with the standard P365, you will probably sell your Glock and your Ruger, so you should have plenty of opportunity to buy a P365XL if you want one. Aside from my issued duty pistol that I am required to carry for work, my P365 has nudged them all to range duty status and is my all day/every day carry gun.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I'll add that I too am looking at the P365.

Tomorrow.

And that the XL will be outside my expectations for now.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
I have both as of yesterday. I picked up the XL in the hopes of getting a happy medium between carrying my Glock 19 and my P365.

My break in was brutal. I've found out two things. First, the XL tolerances are extremely tight. Second, it has to be oiled well. In the first 150 rounds, I had about 12 failure to return to full battery. It would extract, cycle and feed just till the last 1/64" and then hang up. Each time, a slight nudge with my thumb would send it into full battery.

I am averaging about 200 rounds before it starts to give me fits. I hit 200 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 FMJ after a good cleaning and lube and no issues. 205th round and it did it again. Pulled the slide, lubed the rails and barrel, and it ran around 115 rounds with zero issues.

I've never had a weapon be such a PITA to break in and need so much lube. My P365's initial outing, I ran 250 rounds of various ammo with zero issues. Cleaned and lubed it and hit the 1000 mark later that week with zero issue.

I'm still torn. I've tried a different lube and will run another few hundred before I'm satisfied. I'm at 566 now and it's still just as tight as when I bought it.

Try lightly polishing your feed ramp,and chamber.

Posts: 12677 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I like both, but if I could only keep one, it would be the original 365 for sure.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend and I each picked up a P365XL from the same dealer within the first day or two they were available. I have at least 600 rounds through mine, he has at least 300 through his, neither has had a single issue. I had a P365 prior to the XL and never had an issue with that one either.

The standard P365 was fine but I did not want or use the 10 rounders, always ran it with the 12 rounders. For that reason, and wanting the factory optic mount on the XL, I sold it off for the XL. No regrets and the XL with a Shield RMSc mounted is absolutely outstanding.

I'm probably in the minority so if you want the option for the smaller configuration and / or don't care about the factory optic mount then take a look at the standard P365.

Update: I lubricate the same as my classic P series Sig's, with grease. Rails, barrel hood, top and bottom of barrel where you get smileys, inside top of slide where the barrel hood rubs, and front of the slide where the barrel passes and rubs.

Posts: 351 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the SAS. The sights are fantastic!

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 365xl, it's less snappy than the 365, but still uncomfortable for me. xl is very accurate, only shot the 365 once, so I can't really compare them, but the xl is much less jumpy.

Posts: 43 | Location: Hilton Head Island, SC | Registered: August 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Com 45acp
posted Hide Post
Buy the regular 365 and then get the XL grip frame and swap them when needed.

Posts: 521 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I have both. The XL, with 15 round mag, is my nightstand pistol and the standard, w/ a 12 round mag, is my EDC.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Rented a standard 365 at the range last week. Damn. Felt great & shot great. So I bought one on new years eve as an outgoing 2019 present to myself. Haven't been back to the range yet, but I see it as my EDC eventually.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
The XL and PCR are almost identical in size,you're not really gaining anything over the PCR. In your case I would go with the regular 365 or SAS..

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've had my standard 365 since May of '18.

I mostly use it as a daily carry or BUG in the pocket. The size/capacity is great. I keep a ten rounder in the pistol and a fifteen round on the belt.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
The XL and PCR are almost identical in size,you're not really gaining anything over the PCR. In your case I would go with the regular 365 or SAS..

This is interesting. I didn’t realize they were that close in size.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I say 365XL. Super easy to carry. Unless you plan to pocket carry. Then I'd get 365 or 365SAS.

They XL completely dissapears under a t-shirt in appendix or 3:00 o clock IWB.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:

Like to compare:

https://www.handgunhero.com/co...vs-sig-sauer-p365-xl

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post