SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any truly ambidextrous hand gunners out there?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any truly ambidextrous hand gunners out there? Login/Join 
Picture of dc54
posted
I had wrist surgery on my dominant hand last week. In anticipation of the surgery, I've been practicing with "the other" hand regularly. I'm better than I used to be, but I feel like a brand new shooter, having to always focus on the basics. Anybody out there successful in feeling as strong with one hand as the other? Is there hope that it will ever feel natural? I'm sticking mainly with TDA because I fear a negligent discharge more than missing a target. I'm hoping that by the time I can shoot with my "good" hand again, I may be more comfortable with the other.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'll squeeze off a few rounds in either hand. Can't get ragged holes other handed just yet.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I shot left handed in the Army as part of passing the CID pistol qualification. It's a weird feeling to shoot off hand, one handed. I hit the target as required, but I wouldn't call it a group...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I practice shooting left & right-handed and am equally bad at both! Big Grin

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I can switch hit with a rifle pretty well.

I am not as good with a pistol or shotgun from my left hand/shoulder.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up left handed in a family without any others. Dear old dad ( god rest his beautiful soul!)
Taught me to do pretty much right handed as that is what he knew. Shoot bullseye one hand matches left handed but do carry steel challenge and similar shooting right handed. When on the army team shooting for leg points toward my distinguished medal, earned points shooting “combat” distinguished matches right handed and bullseye matches left handed and did manage to leg out.
Shoot rifle primarily right handed but shooting NRL22 matches some of the positions make it practical to shift to the left shoulder and I do about as well.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm about equally accurate right or left handed, but those are both far less accurate than I am when using two hands, and my speed goes way down, especially left handed.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say truly ambidextrous, but I learned over the years how to use my left hand.

Kinda the same boat as you... I shattered my right wrist a while back. I had to learn how to shoot better lefty. I've shot just left handed many times before that, but I really pushed myself after the accident. Unfortunately, I let that skill slip away.

It takes a little time, but a lot of dry fire helps. It's awkward at first, but your brain figures it out. You know the basics, it just takes a little bit of time and effort.

(Pro-Tip: shortly after the surgery, DO NOT let loose with a few magnum rounds out of a S&W 340PD. That just hurts!!! Wink )

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When shooting unsupported (other hand in your pocket or something), I actually shoot better with my non-dominant hand. Supported, better with my dominant hand.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you practice you can adapt

I shot part of a summer of IDPA weak handed after a shoulder surgery

I bought a holster for my weak side and put enough rounds down range weak handed that I became pretty good with it.

I even learned to load bullets in to my mags one handed,

The IDPA guys were supportive of me holstering to
Load the mag in the gun, and racking the slide on my belt.

This was when I shot bottom feeders, the revolver would be a bigger challenge.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Time was... I'd say I was better weak hand than most people strong hand. I own one revolver that I only shot left handed. Now days, older and through a lack of shooting, plus loss of motor skills and a shake that looks like Parkinson's disease (due to neck/spine issues), I can pretty much hit the berm with almost every shot now. Frown

Pretty much how things go for me. By the time I was in my late teens, early 20's my right elbow was so abused playing baseball and similar sports, I couldn't throw. I wanted to be able to keep playing, at least a little, so over a couple years I taught myself to throw left handed. (I always hit from both sides). Nowhere near like the right side of course, but good enough to play infield in softball. I had a bad fall, destroyed my left shoulder, making it near impossible to throw anything from that side. Swell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I write with my left hand and do everything else right handed, so I guess I am somewhat ambidextrous. I'm not sure if it is because of this, but I do fairly well shooting left handed. Not quite as fast or as accurate, but I can hit what I'm aiming at. I was at the range with a buddy, and we were each shooting in our own lane. After about an hour, I put ten rounds down range on a new target. I had two rounds that were about three inches outside the X ring, and of course my buddy picked up on this right away. He asked if I was getting tired, with a big grin on his face. I said that I was a little tired, but that I had shot that group left handed. He said, man I don't ever want you shooting at me. Smile
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a right-handed world if you are left-handed you become some what amberdictrous.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, when I was working at my Uncle's range as an RSO, I used to shoot with my weak hand every night.

I got pretty good, but my strong hand had LOTS more practice and was always better

I have not practiced like that in decades, but I do test myself often enough to be confident in a life threatening situation

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post