SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Trijicon HD poa/poi with Glock?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon HD poa/poi with Glock? Login/Join 
posted
Hey guys, I recently installed some HDs on a G17, went shooting to verify zero, and around 7-10 yards I was shooting about 2.5 inches high. I had a group that was clustered but high. The group was also left, but I will drift the rear sight to the right when I receive my tool. I am not too woried about the left part as sometimes right handed shooters shoot glocks to the left, with the addition of the sights being newly installed it could just be a minor windage correction to the rear sight.

1) What is the correct sight picture with these a
6 'o'clock hold or over the target?

2) For those of you who have used these sights extensively, what have you noticed concering poa/poi?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Super Shooter,

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Depending on the gun 2.5-4 inches high at 25 yards is what you get.
I don't buy into the whole "combat sight picture BS. I hold the upper tip of the front sight where I want the bullet to go. In the case of HDs, with my duty 35, I put the front sight on the mouth to put the round on the eye area.
Been shooting them so long I don't even think about it at distance.

One of our test 34s has the new XR sight on it, and the difference is only about an inch.

And let me guess......you are a right hand shooter.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Depending on the gun 2.5-4 inches high at 25 yards is what you get.
I don't buy into the whole "combat sight picture BS. I hold the upper tip of the front sight where I want the bullet to go. In the case of HDs, with my duty 35, I put the front sight on the mouth to put the round on the eye area.
Been shooting them so long I don't even think about it at distance.

One of our test 34s has the new XR sight on it, and the difference is only about an inch.

And let me guess......you are a right hand shooter.

Yes sir, right handed. Let me ask you this, have you noticed the "high poi" across all/most distances out to 25 yards? For example 5 yards, 10 yards, 15 yards, ect.? Meaning that the sights require that you hold low to achieve intended poi across all pistol distances.

posted Hide Post
At Jerry's class in December, I believe there were four of us shooting Glocks, each equipped with the same Trijicon HD orange front sight. Shots were on steel at distances ranging from 7 yards to 100.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I put the dot on what I want to hit and blast away. Hits were consistent out to 100 yards. The goal of the shooting was speed with due consideration for practical accuracy, and the sights seemed to be more than adequate for that. We weren't doing bullseye, and mostly focusing on firing 6 shot strings quickly and transitioning between targets.

For paper, my impression is that the point of impact is about the top of the front sight, with all else aligned. I'm more than fine with that.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I don't buy into the whole "combat sight picture BS. I hold the upper tip of the front sight where I want the bullet to go.

I've never liked the idea of obscuring the target with the sight, either. I think it's a manufacturers' excuse for sights that aren't regulated to a shooter's preferred ammo. Of course, any sight is only going to hit POA=POI with certain loads at a particular distance. Just a matter of where you end up compensating.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't buy into the whole "combat sight picture BS. I hold the upper tip of the front sight where I want the bullet to go.
+A Bazzzzillion.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to have to go back to the range and see what these sights are doing. I put about 50-60 rounds down range, and was kind of rushed. Hopefully the next range session will be more productive as to what to expect from these sights, once the windage is adjusted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Super Shooter,