SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Another agency for the P320
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another agency for the P320 Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
I just learned that my former PD transitioned from the P226 .40 cal to the Sig P320 9mm full size. The dealer swapped guns one for one and provided conversion kits for compact and subcompacts. The officers are thrilled with the new guns and range scores have improved markedly.

I had introduced a senior officer of the department to the P320 a year or so ago and he ran with it. The gun sells itself.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
That agency is?

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
That agency is?

Funny, that was my first thought too. The 320 is a stout duty pistol.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Largo Florida PD

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Dallas PD recently authorized the P320 for officers' personal purchase as a sidearm.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several agencies in my area have gone to 9mm or 40 P320s (mostly 9mm).

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Just my humble opinion, will probably see more of this following the Army contract.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My small sized modules in the Compact variety are so close to the G19 in dimensions that it is nearly ridiculous to say bigger/smaller. Very slightly longer in grip, no bigger in width.

I think the mediums and large are "rounder" which makes them thicker in width. The smalls not so much. The height difference is well under a 1/4 inch. And that is misleading because the slant angle of the bottom of the mags is different.

I am no Karnak. I do however predict a HUGE following for the 320 line. With the Army contract any issues with longevity or parts availability are nill. Ok, at first the availability will suck but eventually it will be ubiquitous.

Plus, while I don't believe in a glock killer per se, if I was starting today the 320 as I have configured would be the gun I bought. Not my G19 which I love. The 320 just plain works/feels/shoots better out of the box for me.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy is the LE rep for Sig in the Southeast and has been busy to say the least. The powers that be at my agency have an itch for striker fired guns, and I suspect our P226's may be going for P320's sometime soon.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is interesting..
That is one of the agencies I am looking at when we move:

Largo, Ocala, FL HWP.

I know my first agency has went to the 320 and I believe i remember being told they went with .45acp.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
The firearms guys in Toledo just keep buying P226s in .40

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
The firearms guys in Toledo just keep buying P226s in .40

yes sir, and God forbid they have a rail..... special ordering guns with no rail.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
yep. gotta be SWAT or DP to have a rail. PLain old coppers can't be trusted with a weapon light Mad

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine is the qualification officer/armorer for a small NH department. They switched shortly after the 320s came out.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3447 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the North Dakota Highway Patrol!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...-sig-sauer-p320/amp/

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
yep. gotta be SWAT or DP to have a rail. PLain old coppers can't be trusted with a weapon light Mad

Yeah, they'll be constantly breaking all the basic safety rules. Or at least thats what the keyboard commandos on the interwebz keep telling me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
The P320 is looking like it might be the "pistol of the decade," considering the Army contract, growing sales to police departments, and continuing positive reviews almost everywhere.

The P320 RX looks very appealing, too, especially for older eyes. And the price for it is not outrageous.

It looks to me like Sig put together a good management team, a modern factory, a well-qualified manufacturing staff, a good marketing strategy, and a sound design. None of that is out of reach of other companies, but the combination puts Sig-Sauer on top. Only a few years ago people were lamenting the sad state of SIGARMS - and predicting doom.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add Houston PD. Up through Academy Class 230, which graduated a few months ago, the .40 P320 was an authorized option, with other .40 choices being P226, P229, G22, G23, and M&P40. Officers could switch to 9mm or .45 ACP, in specified pistols.

Starting with Class 231, which just graduated this week, 9mm became standard, and unlike officers graduating before them, Class 231, and others following, for the foreseeable future, must remain with the P320, as primary duty pistols, and with 9mm as a duty cartridge. A future chief could, of course, change policy, but this new chief seems to want standardization. For now, at least, this standardization is going to occur by attrition. HPD officers have long been expected to buy their own duty firearms, and when a duty pistol policy change has occurred, existing duty pistols have normally been "grandfathered."

I am sure there will be subtle encouragement for all officers to switch to the P320. I will not, being in the twilight of my career. My last time to suit-up and armor-up for patrol may well be in 2017. I am presently qual'ed with G19 and 1911 pistols, and have a duty rig set-up for each.

Very few are upset about 9mm. Many officers were already switching to 9mm, since it was approved, as an alternative duty pistol cartridge, in 2015.

I believe this standardization, with the 9mm P320, was planned before the military contract was decided. People were discussing it before Class 231 started the academy, six months ago, and nothing happens quickly in a large government organization.

"Back-up and off-duty" handgun policy is much more wide-open, with a few specific weapons and cartridges being excluded or restricted, rather than there being a list of specific weapons, and, as far as I know, this applies to Class 231, as well.

FWIW, the approved long guns are the Remington 870, the Benelli M1/M2, and a range of AR15 rifles.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rexster:
Add Houston PD. Up through Academy Class 230, which graduated a few months ago, the .40 P320 was an authorized option, with other .40 choices being P226, P229, G22, G23, and M&P40. Officers could switch to 9mm or .45 ACP, in specified pistols.

Starting with Class 231, which just graduated this week, 9mm became standard, and unlike officers graduating before them, Class 231, and others following, for the foreseeable future, must remain with the P320, as primary duty pistols, and with 9mm as a duty cartridge. A future chief could, of course, change policy, but this new chief seems to want standardization. For now, at least, this standardization is going to occur by attrition. HPD officers have long been expected to buy their own duty firearms, and when a duty pistol policy change has occurred, existing duty pistols have normally been "grandfathered."

I am sure there will be subtle encouragement for all officers to switch to the P320. I will not, being in the twilight of my career. My last time to suit-up and armor-up for patrol may well be in 2017. I am presently qual'ed with G19 and 1911 pistols, and have a duty rig set-up for each.

Very few are upset about 9mm. Many officers were already switching to 9mm, since it was approved, as an alternative duty pistol cartridge, in 2015.

I believe this standardization, with the 9mm P320, was planned before the military contract was decided. People were discussing it before Class 231 started the academy, six months ago, and nothing happens quickly in a large government organization.

"Back-up and off-duty" handgun policy is much more wide-open, with a few specific weapons and cartridges being excluded or restricted, rather than there being a list of specific weapons, and, as far as I know, this applies to Class 231, as well.

FWIW, the approved long guns are the Remington 870, the Benelli M1/M2, and a range of AR15 rifles.

THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT PD WEAPONS POLICY. UNLIKE THE ONE SIZE FITS ALL APPROACH.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post