SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 comparison pics and thoughts after 300 round range session
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 comparison pics and thoughts after 300 round range session Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
This Monday I was able to snag a 365 from Bass Pro. Their price was $529 which I thought was very fair considering what they're going for on Gunbroker and other dealers.

First, here are some comparison pics of the 365 next to other guns:

Next to a P938:

Next to the shield:

Next to an M&P 1.0 Compact with pinky extension mag (note NOT the 2.0)

Next to a G26: this pic is deceiving. it makes it look close to a G26, but it really isn't at all. the G26 feels huge when handling them both. As you'll note below, the 365 compares very closely to the G42 actually.

G42 on the left, G43 on the right (the G43 has a Taran Tactical +1 baseplate that is slightly thicker than the factory plate. sorry, no factory plates could be found):

Next between the shield and G43 each with 10 round mags in them (Taran Tactical base plates)

Before getting into the review of the gun itself, I wanted to mention the mag. Sig says they "started with the mag and built the gun around it," and that the mag is "patent pending." I'm certainly no armorer, but this is just a standard double stack mag.

It is every so slightly thinner than an M&P mag. The mag isn't the magic to this gun from what I'm seeing. It looks to me like the grip/frame is simply thinner and more efficient in housing the mag in a slim way.

365 mag is on the right:

when I hold them back to back in my hand, I can feel a slight difference, but it really isn't enough to be the secret sauce to the 365. It just feels/looks like an M&P double stack to me. I can get the calipers on it tonight, but I forgot to last night when I was taking pics.

So now to the shooting. I put 300 rounds through the gun right out of the box. All rounds were fired out of the flush mag. I simply forgot to bring the pinky extension mag with me to the range.

The 300 rounds were fired in fairly fast succession. Typically less than a second between shots, empty the mag, reload and do it all over again.

All rounds were fired from a 10+1 configuration just as I would have the gun when being carried.

250 rounds were a combo of PMC and American Eagle. 50 rounds were from a box of JHP's I have. When I rotate carry ammo, I toss the old in the box. It's mostly 124 grain +P Gold Dots, but not all.

The gun got fairly hot an dirty, but It was never too hot to hold and fire. Here is the post shooting grim taken at the range.

As you can see, as I got a little fatigued, I started flinching and dropping my shots down the target. that card board was not new when I put my target on it. those holes down lower on the cardboard aren't mine, it was just down low on the target. It's not Jones shooting, but for me, shooting that fast and that many rounds, I'm happy.

Here are some more pics I took when I broke it down back at the house.

The pic above of the barrel shows the relief cut they added to the barrel to stop the peening that was occurring. Mine didn't show any signs of finish wear or metal deformation on the barrel. Here it is after being cleaned up.

My thoughts on the gun overall are very favorable. It fired all 300 rounds without a single issue. It certainly didn't shoot as well as my EDC x9 that was also along for the trip, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

I've seen a lot of crazy statements about this gun like, you can shoot it all day, it shoots just like a larger gun...um, no, it doesn't. It's a subcompact and it handles like one. Shooting it was very similar to my shield and g43. I didn't have either of those other guns to shoot them side by side, but the experience was similar in my memory to those two guns. My grouping was also very similar to those two guns.

That is, slightly larger groups than my full-size and compact guns, but certainly acceptable for selfdefense.

The trigger and sights (x-ray) on this gun are outstanding. I see nothing I'd change about either of them. I usually will upgrade my Glock and M&P trigger, but I won't touch this trigger. The sights are the best factory sights I've used. I usually upgrade my sights to Trijicon HD's, but these are just as good.

Keep in mind, I am NOT a Sig fan. I bad mouth Sig regularly. I don't like Cohen and what he's done, and think they are more interested in coming up with stupid marketing names than making fine firearms (see the stupid Emperor Scorpion Ceaser King Arther Edition guns...or whatever they're called now). I say the above as context for my review. I kind of was expecting to write a review blasting Sig and laughing at this gun...but I can't.

The grip texture, while not best of class like the trigger and sights was certainly adequate. I like the shield 2.0 texturing better, but this is doable.

The gun jumps a bit when shooting, but again, it's a subcompact 9mm. If you've shot a G43 or shield 9, you know what to expect. The shield was always a little easier for me to shoot fast because the longer grip made it possible, but it's not like I was ever drastically behind with my G43. I didn't have my shot timer with me last night, but I'd say it was in the ball park of the G43 and Shield.

If I am a little slower with the 365 than I am with my shield, it's a trade I'd make for the capacity and shorter grip.

I have medium sized hands, so I can get a good grip on the gun even with the flush fit mag. Here is a pic of me holding the shield and then the 365 one with the flush mag and one with the pinky extension mag.

My one complaint is a hot spot that digs into the palm of your hand. I felt it in handling the gun post purchase. I must say, it wasn't uncomfortable when shooting, almost unnoticalbe really. However, this morning I noticed a mark and sore spot on my hand. It's not anything that has me running for the Advil, but it's noticably sore today, kind of like a bruise.

This pic was just taken now, so about 10-12 hours after shooting last night.

In looking at the gun, I think it's actually the back edge of the mag floor plate sticking out past the frame. I'll try filing that down a bit and reporting back.

It's a sub compact carry gun, so it's not built for comfort, but it is a minor annoyance. It would not stop me from carrying the 365 over the shield or G43, but it would definitely cause me to sell the 365 for a Glock or M&P version should one come out in the future...and I expect they will.

All in all, the gun did exactly what it should have. It shot 300 rounds in quick succession without being cleaned or cooled down. It was "combat accurate" whatever that means and comfortable enough to shoot...all while not chewing itself up or jamming.

Will I carry it, yes, I absolutely will. Will I sell my G43 and shield? yes I will.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'll say I'm very happy with my 365 and I have to tip my hat to sig on this one. My final thought is it's basically a G43 or shield with more capacity (and shorter in the case of the shield). Any differences between those to guns in performance would be so minor as to be user preference in my opinion. The capacity is what makes the 365 the standout, otherwise it would just be a "me too" gun. I give it a thumbs up...and I still can't believe I'm saying.

I hope this was helpful for folks.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
This is the best range report and photos I've seen of the P365 to date. Thank you for posting ES.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome review, thank you for putting in all that effort.

Did you find the trigger more easy on your trigger finger? I feel like the G43 serrated trigger with the dingy really makes the finger pad sore...

Posts: 114 | Location: NJ | Registered: December 09, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice any uncomfortableness on my trigger, but my G43 doesn't bother me either, so I'm probably not a good judge of that unfortunately.

Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Great report. Thanks for your efforts with it.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent write up. It has definitely made me more interested in the 365. Thanks

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nice review and photos, thanks for putting that together.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
That was Outstanding! Thank you!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
NP guys. I get a lot of good info here, so I'm just happy I have something to share back.

I forgot that I took this pic...here it is next to a Kahr CW380. The CW380 is a tiny little gun, so it makes the 365 look big, but if you have a CW380 it really gives you a perspective. I don't have a Ruger LCP, but the CW380 is darn near the same size as an LCP.

That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this one! Can you tell when it was made?

I may be getting one of these after all. My son is too fit (and so are his clothing choices) to carry his 19 when he hits 21- I have always assumed he'd carry a 42 or 43 but this would be my preference if it is reliable!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice review! Just curious, do you get the bruising or soreness from a range session with any of your other guns? This is an issue for me as well with smaller guns.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
esdunbar

Greatly appreciated.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Good report. I wonder if the mystery of the 10/12 rd single stack magazine has to do with the base plate, spring and follower? Maybe something similar to the "MagGuts" product?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
Nice review! Just curious, do you get the bruising or soreness from a range session with any of your other guns? This is an issue for me as well with smaller guns.

No, not usually. This is a sharp corner on the mag I think that is causing it.

quote:
Good report. I wonder if the mystery of the 10/12 rd single stack magazine has to do with the base plate, spring and follower? Maybe something similar to the "MagGuts" product?

it's gotta be. It's just a plain 'ol double stack metal mag on the outside. I'll take one apart right now and see if anything looks different.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
This pic shows where the bottom rear corner of the mag sticks out past the frame/grip. I think this is what is digging into my palm.

That's poor fit and finish/design, but I'm hoping a Dremel can fix it.

Pics of the mag are uploading...I'll post them in a minute.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
A sanding block would fix the corners easily. No need for a DREMEL unless that's all you have.

One of my KIMBER pistols did the same to my hand. I made it into a bobtail.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Great report. I see Sig’s fix to the barrel hood peeking was to do a round cut. Very interesting Roll Eyes.

All pics can be deceiving and I still see no reason to jump from the G26. I’ve found I prefer the fuller grip as I can get more contact patch with my hand around the grip. Bonus is G19 mags are cheap!

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:
Great report. I see Sig’s fix to the barrel hood peeking was to do a round cut. Very interesting Roll Eyes.

All pics can be deceiving and I still see no reason to jump from the G26. I’ve found I prefer the fuller grip as I can get more contact patch with my hand around the grip. Bonus is G19 mags are cheap!

If you prefer the feel of a G26, that's obviously all that matters. We all need to use what works for us.

I will only say, the G26 and the 365 are in two completely separate categories. The G26 feels like a beast after handling the 365.

It's a G43 vs G26 comparison. The G43 doesn't fit everyone and the G26 still has folks who prefer it to the G43. If you're one of those folks, I'd say you'll prefer the G26 to a 365.

For me, the 365 carries infinitely better than the G26.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Here is the mag pulled apart:

nothing too shocking or "game changing" there. Maybe I'm missing something? The basics all seem to be there from what I'm seeing.

Here is what is different though...

notice how the lips that hold the baseplate on turn into the mag instead of towards the outside.

here is the baseplate, it's not perfectly clear, but it gives you the idea. I don't see how this change would increase capacity though.

Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:

If you prefer the feel of a G26, that's obviously all that matters. We all need to use what works for us.

I will only say, the G26 and the 365 are in two completely separate categories. The G26 feels like a beast after handling the 365.

It's a G43 vs G26 comparison. The G43 doesn't fit everyone and the G26 still has folks who prefer it to the G43. If you're one of those folks, I'd say you'll prefer the G26 to a 365.

For me, the 365 carries infinitely better than the G26.

Yea, I didn’t like the G43 either. Wink

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post