SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pachmayr Dominator - update - new 1911 parts installed
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pachmayr Dominator - update - new 1911 parts installed Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Ever purchased something that is obviously impractical, just for fun? I have. More than once. The Desert Eagle is a great example.

Well, I stumbled into something unique and interesting, a total novelty. Also, an unknown quantity to me really, because no one cares about these so far as I can tell.

So, I just had to go for it, because even if it's crap I have .44 sitting about from when I owned an Anaconda.

This one isn't totally impractical, you could conceivably hunt with it.

I had been seeing this rather large gun sitting in the case for a while, and it intrigued me. Upon closer inspection it was a single shot bolt operated kit gun, on a 1911 frame.

I put some money on it and I've got to go back to finish up before I can show you a pic, but it looks something like:

The one I found has a scope. These were available in a number of calibers up to .308.

It could be complete shit, but this sort of curiosity is why I know things.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arcwelder,

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember seeing these advertised in the late ’80’s or early ‘90’s as competition to the Remington XP-100. Or am I “mis-remembering” it? (That was a long time ago...) Confused

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You are correct, that is about when they were made.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
“It shoots through schools”

Tanfoglio made something similar called the Thor

https://www.google.com/amp/gun...post/49845893859/amp

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Dusty78 wrote:

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
Dusty78 wrote:

I'm triggered. I need to go to my safe space.

Guns need cleaning.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I looked into these a while back. Thought that the 44 was a bit much for a 1911 frame. Ultimately I decided that I'd get a 14 inch barrel for my Desert Eagle.

The funnier part of Johnny Dangerously was when he was putting price tags on the puppies.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I looked into these a while back. Thought that the 44 was a bit much for a 1911 frame. Ultimately I decided that I'd get a 14 inch barrel for my Desert Eagle.

If I still owned a desert eagle, I'd probably not have bought this, but it's really more of a lark.

As far as .44 mag and the 1911 frame, the frame is just there to hold a trigger, it's not taking the recoil energy in the same manor as if it were a standard recoil spring and slide.

The unit doesn't move on the frame, it's basically bolted through the mag well.

Considering that they offered these in .308, I doubt the frame will care about .44. I'll let you know.

Arc.

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that recoil with standard magnum 240gr. loads will be on the stout side of things.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
We'll see. I don't think it'll be much different from the aforementioned Anaconda. Being a single shot pistol, as long as it's accurate, I don't mind stout recoil.

Arc.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Some guns just seem to speak of certain times and places, and I got a kick out the various "hand rifles" that came out about that time.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

The unit doesn't move on the frame, it's basically bolted through the mag well.

Thats better than I thought. From what I can remember, the one I had looked at was only held in by the takedown lever. Maybe it was missing some parts?

Looks like fun either way.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Very cool. Some guns just seem to speak of certain times and places, and I got a kick out the various "hand rifles" that came out about that time.

It's neat and old and weird. Kinda like me.

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Thats better than I thought. From what I can remember, the one I had looked at was only held in by the takedown lever. Maybe it was missing some parts?

I'll be taking it apart, and I'll post pics. I want to put a better trigger in it, and do a few things to make it more "bullseye." So I'll have to disassemble.

The single shot pistol is still around, but in complete weapons, like the TC Contender and a couple others.

Stuff like this is right up my alley, because of history, and frankly modern pistols are somewhat boring. As in, progress is market driven, and not so much "wildcat" kind of thinking going on. Would the Wildey happen today?

Arc.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you see something and think, "that's real silly, I need it." Big Grin
Those things are the largest danger to my wallet.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
had a couple thru the shop back in the day,
folks seemed to like them,
don't recall any mechanical issues with them

looks like the one in the pic is on a Star frame, but I think any 1911 clone will do

had a Magnum Research single shot pistol thru the shop about a year ago, big funky pistol, they were out about the same time IIRC,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Sometimes you see something and think, "that's real silly, I need it." Big Grin
Those things are the largest danger to my wallet.

Yeah, it's true, but sometimes you've got to throw caution to the wind. I think there is a big hole somewhere with my caution in it.

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
had a couple thru the shop back in the day,
folks seemed to like them,
don't recall any mechanical issues with them

looks like the one in the pic is on a Star frame, but I think any 1911 clone will do

Yeah, it's just a pic I pulled from the web. I think the one I have money on is a Springfield Inc. frame. I get the impression that it doesn't matter.

Arc.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Not a novelty gun at all. It's one of what the late Mr. Jurras referred to as "a technical pistol". I think because they (single shot pistols, bolt action pistols) are capable of real accurate precision work... and they're only technically a pistol. Wink

I think the biggest strike against the Pachmeyer Dominator and the Clerke Xtender was they had more recoil than most people were comfortable with in a 1911 grip frame. Which is understandable.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I meant the novelty more as why I was buying it, as I have no practical need. The inherent accuracy of a bolt rifle should carry to one of these, and indeed with a large barrel and in certain calibers, it's barely a pistol.

As far as recoil through a 1911 grip frame, well... if someone isn't accustomed to magnums, it hardly matters the shape they're holding on to.

Arc.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I shoot 309JDJ, 358JDJ, 45-70 in a Contender.
.454 and 500 Linebaugh in revolvers, I didn't think my 10mm 1911 recoiled at all. (it bored me)
But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want all "that much fun" in a 1911 frame whacking the web of my hand. Big Grin
I'm just going by people I've heard from who owned them, not inexperienced ones either.

I've passed on them before... one just recently in fact. I was tempted by a 30/223 that I thought wouldn't be all THAT bad, but rational thought won out. Because I sure don't need it, I was about to buy it simply because I'd never owned one. I always want to keep learning, but I don't need my all lessons to always be so expensive. lol

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It wasn't so expensive. $700 with a scope on it.

I was just thinking, no one has posted about these here in my whole time as a member.

Arc.