SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 Barsto 9mm conversion barrel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Barsto 9mm conversion barrel Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I bought a Bar-Sto 9mm for my .357 Sig/.40 P229 and it needed fitting. Robert Burke did it and the result was perfect.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snoris,

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
My barsto that I have in one of my 1911 top ends has a super tight chamber, so that may be a concern if you roll your own. My reloads have to be perfect to work with this barrel.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
My barsto that I have in one of my 1911 top ends has a super tight chamber, so that may be a concern if you roll your own. My reloads have to be perfect to work with this barrel.

I'm considering a Bar-Sto at some point. When you say "perfect" do you mean "normal"?

I meticulously follow good reloading practice. Quality dies and press. Clean the cases before each reloading. Pay attention to re-sizing, crimp, OAL, etc. From your experience, is there anything unusual that has to be done with the tighter chamber?

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Update: Barrel came in today, right at 2 weeks after placing the order (website said to expect 6-8 weeks lead time, so I was pleasantly surprised). It did come signature required, which I was not expecting...thankfully I was home when the mail lady showed up.

The barrel dropped right in, and locks up with actually a little more play than the factory .40 barrel. I used the .40 recoil spring and tried out all 7 of my .40 mags. They all fed fine, and I didn't have any malfunctions that I can attribute to barrel fitment.

I did have two of my reloads fail to go into battery. I think what I'm experiencing is an OAL issue, as the bullet is sticking in the lands, and gets pulled out of the case when the slide is forcefully retracted. It appears that the Barsto barrel has a very short throat...shorter even than my CZ which I had already adjusted this load to accommodate.

I didn't have a chance to do any serious accuracy testing, but from what I could see I was pretty pleased. It's definitely a keeper...I just need to do a little more load development to make sure it stays happy.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post