SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 Barsto 9mm conversion barrel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Barsto 9mm conversion barrel Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I'm looking at getting a Barsto 9mm conversion barrel for my .40 P229. As I understand it, these sometimes require some fitting, but once fitted, they run well. I've even heard that people have had success shooting 9mm out of their .40 mags. Is this correct? How hard are they to fit? Does anyone mind sharing their experience with these?

Posts: 8559 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
My Barsto dropped in without a hitch. Didn't change anything else and ran several hundred rounds through my 229. Eventually, bout some Mecgar 9mm mags for easy identification and use.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barsto 9mm dropped right in for me. No fitting required. 40/.357SIG mags work just fine for 9mm in my experience, although I carry 357SIG for everyday carry.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Mine dropped in without fitting, but I did use the 9mm mags. I have run about 200 rounds through without issue so far.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
My 9mm Barsto barrel dropped right in without any fitting required as well. I've since sold my 229's but never had any fitting issues with the Barsto barrel.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My Bar-Sto conversion barrel also dropped-in without fitting. 9mm ammunition does feed from 40 magazines. If you choose to use 9mm magazines, buy P229-1 magazines which are slightly wider.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bar-Sto says:
"A SEMI FIT Barrel Generally requires little to no fitting. They should go in about 7 out of 10 times with no fitting required but with the tolerance of firearms, this is not always the case."

They have instructions for fitting on their FAQ section. Generally, it's pretty simple.
https://www.barsto.com/FAQs.cfm

Use of forty versus nine mags is always a crap shoot some work...some don't. Same as with a number of other conversions.

In other words, individual responses on fitting don't tell you anything conclusive. It's a percentage game. Having said that, I've never heard anyone here complain about a Bar-Sto after it's properly installed.

There are other conversion barrels available that require ZERO fitting. However, they probably won't be as accurate as a Bar-Sto.

See this thread on same topic:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5670098624

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Don't think I ever had a Bar-Sto barrel for a SIG. Do know I briefly have one SF for a Glock. That one required fitting. Instead I decided that I was fit to be tied and I subsequently sold it to someone who wanted it more than I did, and used the money to reimburse myself for a KKM barrel I picked up in the meantime, which was a true drop-in.

Some time afterwards I shot the two guns side-by-side. It could be my indignant attitude rearing its head but I would swear that the KKM was the more accurate of the two. Sample of one each and different guns and who knows how well that Bar-Sto was actually fitted to my friend's G19, but these days I have no interest in trying another Bar-Sto in any gun.

Epilogue: I ended up selling the KKM to him as well, due to how well he shot my G19 with that barrel. He was willing to pay me more than what I originally paid, so who am I to say no?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I had one years ago for a 229, it didnt require fitting. Sold that gun and bought another 229 last year. Bought another Barsto barrel and it didnt need fitting either.

Ive used 40sw mags. But I went ahead and got 9mm just because.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Bar-Sto bbl. required a very minimal fitting(5-10 minutes). I use the 40/357Sig recoil spring, and mags....no problems. A good conversion.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My Bar-sto did require fitting to a P229R. I sent the slide to them rather than attempt the job myself. I probably could have done a good job at it, but just felt more comfortable having them do it. At least I have the knowledge that it has the tightest lock-up possible. The gun is scary accurate now, noticeable better than stock, which wasn't bad in the first place.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Mine required no fitting. I still haven't used it so I have no practical experience as to mags or reliability.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I installed a Barsto semi-drop-in 9mm barrel in my Sig P-226 maybe 6 years ago. I needed to fit it with a triangle file, but it was very easy to do and the lock up was perfect afterwards. This pistol is used as a bullseye match backup pistol by a friend of mine, complete with red dot. Most accurate of all the SIGs I have. And I can shoot 9mm, .40, and .357 in the slide. Very happy with it.

No problem with the Mecgar .40 mags shooting 9mm although I use the 9mm mags most of the time.

Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1941 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you guys carry these guns on the street or is the conversion just for practice?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Barsto barrel needed to be fit.

I took it to a local gun smith and had it back in a few days.

I carry it like any other barrel.

I tend to use it more than my other barrels.

I seem to be gravitating to mostly 9mm.

My P229 and P239 both are set up with 3 barrels
9mm, 357sig and .40

I also use 9mm mags most of the time.

I have used the 357sig/.40 mags at the range and have no problems.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. This is for my old duty gun that I bought back when we got our new 9mm P320s. All of my other personal guns are 9mm, too, so if I can convert this one I won't have to stock .40 at all anymore. I doubt it'll ever get used for carry, and if it does I would put the .40 barrel back in. Here's hoping it's a straight drop-in or at the very least requires minimal fitting.

Posts: 8559 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Using .40 mags will work and function reliably, although maybe not 100% since a couple of members have reported some problems. If you get 9mm mags, be sure to get the P229-1 mags with the wider lower mag body.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 9mm conversions from Barsto. They have dropped in and worked flawlessly. Zero qualms!!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5296 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I've had 3 Sigs in 40/357, 239, 229,(not a -1) & 224.

All have had BarSto 9mm barrels and I used 9mm mags in all.

The 224 was custom fit by BarSto. The others drop in with no fitting required

I had no issues with any of the 3.

No longer have the 239 (replaced by 224). I doubt I'd carry the 229 in 9mm but would not hesitate to carry the 224 in 9mm.

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have never installed a barsto in a SIG pistol. However, I have seen a bunch in classes. I have yet to see a single issue out of them.

Which is funny due to the fact that when you ask around the community, you always hear instructors say "Yeah the conversion barrels are OK, but there are reliability issues in extraction". But, I can't find anyone who has actually seen any.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post