SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    House guns....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House guns.... Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
edit - bought a second CZ P-01.

I currently have a P250 Compact w/ short reach trigger on it for nightstand duty. Its simple to operate under stress and carries a Streamlight on the rail. Issue is...I want one per floor in the house.

So...I'm looking for options. CDNN has a sale on the Walther Creed for $269. It fits the bill of "simple and rail-equipped". Given I'll need at least two (three preferred) to stash in quick access safes, any other recommendations out there? My wife has small hands and has issues racking a slide so that's one reason we initially chose the P250 (she's practiced with it using snap caps and its still tough for her).

There are some decent options for Turkish guns too....SAR has several, similarly priced. I don't care about anything other than 9mm,reliability, simple manual of arms and as cheap as possible. They're gonna sit in a pistol safe, not be carried or shot much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PGT,

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't care about anything other than reliability, simple manual of arms and as cheap as possible.

Is used an option, or does it need to be new?

If used is okay, police trade-in Glocks in .40 can usually be found for right around that $300 price point.

If it has to be new - can't believe I'm going to say this - but the PT-111 G2 from Taurus is actually a pretty decent little pistol for the given assignment.

It has the things you want it to have, and it does the thing it's supposed to do, for the price you're looking to pay.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a house gun, it’s just always attached to by waist. Smile

In your case I would just keep a look out for other P250s on sale or find some cheaper use S&W revolvers (police turn in 67s and the like).

http://www.jgsales.com/handguns-c-16_211_431.html

https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...rtsman/used-firearms

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
I don't care about anything other than reliability, simple manual of arms and as cheap as possible.

Is used an option, or does it need to be new?

If used is okay, police trade-in Glocks in .40 can usually be found for right around that $300 price point.

If it has to be new - can't believe I'm going to say this - but the PT-111 G2 from Taurus is actually a pretty decent little pistol for the given assignment.

It has the things you want it to have, and it does the thing it's supposed to do, for the price you're looking to pay.

I work in a shop, we ship back one out of 8-10 PT111's for repair,
more than all the rest of the brands combined,

yes they are cheap at usually $199 or so on sale, but that ratio is a bit high to me

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Ruger 9E. Solid shooter, decent trigger; I like it far better than the SR9 that it's based off of. Less crap built-in. The spiritual descendant of the old Ruger P-guns, built for no-nonsense reliability. Grip is slender, more agreeable to smaller hands but still substantial enough that people with large hands don't grumble. Ruger warranty. Only downside is that they ship with a single 17rd magazine. If I were looking for a NIB truck gun in 9mm this would be it.

A local shop had them for $250 recently. Probably others across the country are doing the same price-wise.

The Creed is reportedly a decent gun. We've sold a few, and one or two customers have come back saying how pleased they are with it, much like the predecessor PPX it's designed around. But I heard that it's actually built by the Arnsberg (Umarex) side of Walther, not the most confidence-inspiring of data to know if true. Perhaps others can confirm (or deny) that info.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Cop trade-in Glock 22s will be hard to beat for that type of use. Summit Gun Broker has good deals on them.

Summit currently has used S&W M&P .40 pistols for $269.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
used is fine, but I need 2-3 and would like them to be the same. 9mm for sure...no .40 here.

I should have jumped on the Stoeger Cougars that ShootingStraight had for $299 for railed models. I have several Beretta Cougars and they shoot very softly (rotating barrel) and feel good in hand and can be converted to G action/decocker only.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

In your case I would just keep a look out for other P250s on sale

Yeah....if I could find additional short triggers, that would be my Plan A.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Ruger 9E. Solid shooter, decent trigger; I like it far better than the SR9 that it's based off of. Less crap built-in.

and this arrived in my email just a minute ago....

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rug...mm.html#.WiwBqUqnHic

edit - only one mag so its gonna be more like $305 vs. $270 for the Creed apples:apples

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
here’s a The Ruger 9E for $224.99. Just do the price match for that price, I just entered the slick guns url and it gave it to me at that price. Also there’s a coupon code for free shipping (SHIP30)

https://www.deguns.net/ruger-9...676033409-p/3340.htm

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought all four of my Sig P250 pistols used, $300.00 each for the 250f .45 a.c.p., 250c 9mm, 250sc 9mm. The 250sc .40 S&W was $325.00 but it had a total of five magazines with it. Back in October, Academy Sports had the P250c on sale for $399.99 in 9mm and .40 S&W.

If your wife can handle a Glock 30sf .45 a.c.p., I know of a shop with a few LE trade-ins for $315.00.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An area FFL has one P250 in 9mm left - it's $350 and was still in stock a couple of days ago. Heritage Shooting over in Triangle. I din know you liked 250's - my SC in .380 gets more use and carrying than any other HG I have. Better get it before I do!

Edited to add: I just checked and the P250 is gone at Heritage. Nothing comparable - price-wise - on GB. I missed the boat on that one...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GeoJelly,

Posts: 426 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

In your case I would just keep a look out for other P250s on sale

Yeah....if I could find additional short triggers, that would be my Plan A.
Ah, missed the short trigger requirement.

Some older Ruger Semis? 89s I think they were?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
here’s a The Ruger 9E for $224.99. Just do the price match for that price, I just entered the slick guns url and it gave it to me at that price. Also there’s a coupon code for free shipping (SHIP30)

https://www.deguns.net/ruger-9...676033409-p/3340.htm

Holy crap that's a good price for a solid pistol.

Also Outpost Armory online has a Beretta PX4 storm compact 9mm for $389 and comes with an additional free mag

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife has small hands and has issues racking a slide so

my wife has the same problem , but she can work the slide on a P250 in 380 like a charm , they are hard to find but my wife really love hers ,
they where made in the SC and C ,,
no rail on the SC

Posts: 8 | Location: Wi | Registered: September 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see a requirement for a rail, so...
Shields are going for $250 or less most places. 9mm, Small and accurate enough for cross the house use. 9 rounds is only limiting factor.
How about some PD trade 92s? Sub $350 for shooter grade. In the safe with 1 chambered is 18 rounds before working the slide is an issue and wilson does a short trigger if you have to.
Have you considered a 20ga shotgun instead of a pistol. Youth stocked 870 HD could be had for $350 if you look around. Better than a pistol IMHO.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2736 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Rail is a requirement. I have more than enough 92's to stash around the house, but only a couple with rails. Might not be a bad idea just to use them but was mostly looking for disposable type guns vs. my M9A1, 92G-SD or BrigTac. Plus....the P250 Compact w/ medium, frame is perfect for my wife's smallish hands; the 92's are not.

posted Hide Post
Night stand gun needs both night sights and a light. How about a SP2022? Buds has them in stock with night sights for $442 NIB. Great trigger, easy to shoot accurately, 15+1 firepower.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's also the S&W SD9. It's a decent, reliable pistol and it comes with 2 16rnd mags. I've seen a lot of them under $300 lately.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3526 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The S&W SD9 pistols are a good deal and can be found used cheap. Oddly enough, for a cheap/inexpensive gun, a new PT111 is not a bad deal. Are you mounting a light on the gun? I have debated that for a while. For now, my home defense gun is a Ruger P89. I took it out the other day and can't believe what solid tack driver it is. I was impressed to say the least. It is an older model but you can find the polymer old style Rugers with a rail,(like a P95), cheap on GB. The older guns are big,bulky and built like tanks, but they are a solid platform and just plain work.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post