SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 Magazines...what the heck are these marks?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 Magazines...what the heck are these marks? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you're not going to damage cartridge cases simply by inserting them into a magazine, unless you're doing something very wrong.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yeah, you're not going to damage cartridge cases simply by inserting them into a magazine, unless you're doing something very wrong.

I by no means claim to be some uber expert in firearms, not even close, but I've owned many over the years, and have loaded plenty of magazines, and sent plenty of rounds downrange. I know how to load a bloody magazine. It's not rocket science. I admit to never having owned a sub-compact, and I get that spring tension in such a small mag, with it's capacity, is expected to be greater than usual. And when I said damage to the brass, I didn't mean serious damage, nothing to make me question their functionality or anything, but, more, marring, you definitely have to apply a lot of pressure to get those puppies in there. Which is why, on this mag, to loosen it up, before first range trip with it, I used cheap plinking ammo.

My original two factory mags have loosened up some. After two range trips and 200 rounds, plus, having them constantly loaded, I can now get 10 rounds into them by hand, though the 10th is still a real bear.

Anyway, for what it's worth, those in this forum that think it's a manufacturing "defect", or side effect of the manufacturing process, I too am leading towards that conclusion at this point. Nevertheless, I've got a new mag(free, btw) to play with. Seems blemish free on the backside. Even if it is the maglula (I know no one thinks that's possible) I don't particularly care, as long as the magazines function. But, since I do have the new free mag, i will run a bunch of rounds through it, manually loading it with just my thumbs, just to rule out the pistol itself. It's just a "peace of mind" issue. I'll load that Italian mag up with some Federal 124 gr +P HST's, and see what happens. Of course, if the magazines suck,the marks just might mean some pre-existing fault working it's way through, lol. I'll keep a close eye on it, as I go through rounds.

Just kinda bummed that after more than 20 years since my last Sig pistol, I finally get another and am already questioning it's reliability as a daily carry weapon. Never had a single issue with that P220 in .45 ACP with Made in Germany stamped on it's slide. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just saying. I'll get it to the range this weekend, or next at the latest, put another 2-300 rounds through it, and if it still functions flawlessly, magazine marks or no, then yeah, I guess it's good to go.

Posts: 17 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just kinda bummed that after more than 20 years since my last Sig pistol, I finally get another and am already questioning it's reliability as a daily carry weapon.
Wait! What did I miss?
Aside from the "cosmetics" or whatever we're calling the markings on your AND MY magazines, what reliability issues have you had, if any, that can be attributed to a magazine issue?

My apologies if I missed something...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
OP, thanks for staying engaged with the conversation. Nuance is hard to discern through written communication.

It sounds like you...same as me...were pretty pumped up about getting into the 365 and a few superficial issues has deflated your excitement.

Go shoot that pistol, don't worry about these mag issues, and report back to us just how fun that new gun is. We'll celebrate with you!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
OP, thanks for staying engaged with the conversation. Nuance is hard to discern through written communication.

It sounds like you...same as me...were pretty pumped up about getting into the 365 and a few superficial issues has deflated your excitement.

Go shoot that pistol, don't worry about these mag issues, and report back to us just how fun that new gun is. We'll celebrate with you!

Thanks for the positivity. Some posters(and I'm grateful for the interest and comments overall), have basically implied I'm half crazy for having concerns over very unusual (to me) magazine wear from a new gun, with new magazines, especially given the reliability history with this model.

Anyway, managed to fit a relatively quick range trip into my day today. Tested out a couple of brands of newly acquired self defense ammo I got delivered in the last week or so, through my go-to bedside gun, and then spent pretty much the rest of the time loading up the new P365 mag by hand, and sending rounds downrange. Despite being loaded up for almost a week prior, the spring was still pretty dang stiff, so not the most fun I've ever had shooting, but thankfully, towards the end, it did loosen up a bit, and I could actually get a full 10 rounds in by hand. Anway, here are pics of the new mag after I got home. I put roughly 140 rounds through it. A mix of 124 gr FMJ, 124gr JHP, 124gr JHP+P, and 147 gr JHP. No giant C-shapes gouges. In one pick you can "almost" see a C on the right, but...that was there, and it's not deep, pressing into the metal itself like on the original mags. So, I'm pretty sure that rules out the gun. Which is a relief. And, I doubt it's the Maglula. I'll try the Maglula sometime on the new mag and see if I get any gouges, yes, I know, no one thinks it could be that. But, if that doesn't gouge the back of the mag, then I guess there's just something weird going on in the manufacturing process of their mags. Thus far, seems just an aesthetic issue. Because I also also fired a few mags worth of ammo through the original, "gouged" mags, and they still function flawlessly.

Posts: 17 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good lord. Three pages of comments about a minor cosmetic issue with a very obvious cause- the stamping die on the forming tool for the mag.

The mags are surface ground along the back to level those marks, but some of the marks don’t stand high enough to be leveled without removing too much material from the wall. Simple as that and zero effect on function.

I find it interesting that the Mec-gar made mags have a much more coarse grind mark than the Checkmates, though. Not very nice at all.

Posts: 49 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
just to add to the others here...mine did not have that mark...yesterday took the P365 to the range and fired 2 full mags with 124 Grain Speer Brass FMJ...

when I went to clean the pistol today, guess what I noticed on the back (and I looked back when this thread was started...) but only on the magazine I use for everyday carry...the flat bottomed, Made in USA one...

my finger stepped mag has only been shot about 5 mags/one box of 50 and some Speer Gold Dots in the same 124 Grain, standard velocity...

the flat bottomed, every day carry mag (also USA made if I didn't make that clear) has had about twice the amount the finger stepped one has had through it.

Pistol bought new at LEO store in October 2019 and mostly everyday carry since that day...

I've never used an Uplula (although I may buy one)

Good luck with yours...mine seem to operate just fine

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Archer1440:
Good lord. Three pages of comments about a minor cosmetic issue with a very obvious cause- the stamping die on the forming tool for the mag.
What's your problem? This is a discussion forum. Furthermore, the cause of the issue didn't seem all that apparent at the beginning of the thread.

Are you personally offended somehow by these "three pages"? (Actually, less than two and a half)

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post