SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 Magazines...what the heck are these marks?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 Magazines...what the heck are these marks? Login/Join 
posted

Greetings everyone, first time posting here, and I don't see a "preview post" option, so hopefully I posted the images properly, lol. Anyway, purchased a P365 in early June. Finally got a chance to take it to the range a couple weekends ago, and again yesterday. Noticed these strange "C" shaped gouges on the back of my mags after the first range trip. Should have contacted Sig right away, but didn't. Did email them yesterday and will probably call if I get the chance this week. Searching online I can't seem to find anyone else with these markings, and when I showed them to several individuals who work at my range yesterday, all were flummoxed as to what could be causing them. Certainly doesn't look like the trigger reset spring scratches that people have had issues with. The internals of the gun look fine. There's nothing in there that I, nor any of the employees at the range could think of to actually cause these marks. Weird thing is, these "C" shaped mags face different directions on my two factory mags. And after the range yesterday, noticed the flush fit mag is starting to show the very beginnings of this same gouge on the other side now. Could my Maglula Uplula be the culprit? Seems crazy, but, the only thing the back of those magazines have been in contact with are basically the inside of the gun itself, and the reloader. I don't have a long history with the Uplula, after years of shooting, can't believe I never bought one before, lol, but, I guess I always just figured my thumbs could use the workout, then I got the P365, and trying to load those fresh factory mags destroyed my thumb, so, immediately bought one. It was time. My VP9, which I also took to the range both times, and extensively used the Maglula on its magazines, no magazine marks like these. So, figured I'd turn to you guys (and gals) for any ideas or suggestions. Smile

Thus far, I've put maybe 200 rounds through the gun. No failures, including yesterday, so thus far, this issue hasn't affected performance, but naturally, having never seen anything like this on a magazine before, kind of concerned. I have been carrying it in a Desantis Nemesis holster until my kydex holster from JX Tactical finally decides to show up. Thanks again Covid. I have thus far not carried a spare mag loose in a pocket or anything like that. I literally didn't notice these marks until after my first trip to the range. Any thoughts or ideas on what may be causing this? Thanks everyone.

For what it's worth, purchased gun new. Born on date, according to case is Dec 21, 2019.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ckochenower,

Posts: 17 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None of my magazines have those marks.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum ckochenower,

Can you please re-size your pics?

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I think what we are seeing is the atomic structure of the magazine. Smile

Try to resize as I am honestly not sure what I am looking at.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Don't use your phone for imgur pics or you gotta view them from space.

When on a PC select the large thumbnail.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Did they come that way. That looks odd, like damage when making them.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I think what we are seeing is the atomic structure of the magazine. Smile

Try to resize as I am honestly not sure what I am looking at.

Lol! Sorry about that. Posting using Imgur and whatnot is not something I do often. Anyway, these should be resized.

Posts: 17 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did they come that way. That looks odd, like damage when making them.

No, they did not come that way. And the gouge that now seems to be forming on the rear right side of the flush fit magazine was not there prior to my range trip yesterday. I didn't shoot nearly as many rounds through the P365 yesterday, so may explain why a full-blown "C" didn't form.. Talked my fiance into coming to the range with me for the first time, and despite going over a lot of firearms basics with her prior, well, she's not very familiar with firearms, so, spent a lot of time helping her instead of sending lead downrange. Plus, took her Taurus PT22 to the range, which she'd never shot since buying it years ago. And I'd never taken it to the range because...reasons.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Magazine manufacturer issue when welding.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
USA or Italian made?

Btw, can you edit to put the resized the pics in the original post? The HUUUUUGE pics take up so much space and are very annoying. Thanks.

Q

Posts: 26373 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That couldn’t be caused by the spring issue the early 365s had right???

Has to be some kind of manufacturer defect. Like maybe it was there but covered up during coating?

Also no worries. I just started using IMGUR and did the same thing recently, I think I ended up using large thumbnail or something to that effect.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
USA or Italian made?

Btw, can you edit to put the resized the pics in the original post? The HUUUUUGE pics take up so much space and are very annoying. Thanks.

Nice, post editing allowed. Done. Yeah, when I first posted those I too was like, Jimminy Christmas those pics are huge. Anyway, I've now refamiliarized myself with Imgur, shouldn't happen again. Cool

Regarding your specific question, they are both stamped "Made in USA" on side, and are the two factory mags which came with the gun. One flush fit, the other with the pinky extension, both 10 rounders.

posted Hide Post
quote:
That couldn’t be caused by the spring issue the early 365s had right???

Has to be some kind of manufacturer defect. Like maybe it was there but covered up during coating?

Also no worries. I just started using IMGUR and did the same thing recently, I think I ended up using large thumbnail or something to that effect.

Lol, thanks, I'd only used Imgur a few times prior and it's been a few years. Completely forgot how HUGE the pics end up being. But, there's a resize option on the site when you import pics, which I hadn't noticed first go round.

Anyway, yeah, no, I don't think it's the trigger reset spring issue from earlier 365's, though I'm no gunsmith by any means. At least the pics of that I've seen seem to show a thin vertical "scratch" on magazines, where the spring protrudes a bit into the mag well under recoil. This...I suppose, could just be a hidden manufacturing defect in the mags. If so, someone was definitely sleeping on the line that day. Whatever it is it has thus far not affected performance, at least. But, I'm only 200 rounds into the gun, and it's what I was planning on being my primary carry gun. So, not filled with a ton of confidence. And in case anyone asks, none of those 200 rounds were of any crazy +p+ variety. Just your run-of-the-mill FMJ and JHP 124 grain standard factory loads. And just to reiterate, the only force/pressure those magazines have been under since I purchased the gun (new), have either come from the gun itself, or the Maglula.

Could it be the Maglula? I know that might make me sound like a total newb, and admittedly the last few years I haven't been to the range as often as I'd like, but, for the record, my first Sig was a brand new P220 back when it still had Made in Germany stamped on the slide. And my first S&W revolver (also purchased new), sure as heck didn't have the silly safety yet. The P365 is my first sub-compact (unless you count the fiance's Taurus PT 22, lol), and have always just used my thumbs, or sometimes the cheap mag loaders that manufacturers supply in the box, lol. But the springs were so tight in the P365 that I immediately saw the writing on the wall, and next-day made the trip back to where I bought it to pick one up. It's not like using the thing is rocket science, though. But, there are those two plastic rails at the back which are about the same width as the gouges in the back of the mags. And though not a tall man, the shooting tables at each lane at the range are short enough, that with the additional shortness of the mags, admittedly make for a slightly awkward reload angle. I mean, it's got to be one of 3 things: manufacturer defect in the gun. Manufacturer defect in the mag. Or, somehow it's being caused by the Maglula.

posted Hide Post
I had done/ and have done again, a search on magazine damage caused by the Maglula and have turned up nothing, save, for the issue of potentially screwing up your followers by not loading a round first, which, this is clearly not that. And won't/wouldn't be an issue for me as it was quite obvious first time loading a magazine with Maglula that the plastic on plastic would be a bad idea, so I've been loading a round or two first from the beginning. But again, this wear is unrelated to that.

posted Hide Post
After further examining the reloader, the width of those plastic rails at the back, the position of the magazine inside, and it's range of movement during reloading, I'm not ruling that out as a culprit. The height of the gouge is roughly the same length of the range of motion of the mag while being loaded. Still, that kind of wear after 200 rounds? I'm either way stronger than I think I am, or am using the worst conceivable technique known to man. Or, the quality of the steel in these mags is subpar, because it's definitely making a depression into the metal itself. It's not just finish wear on the mag.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I still think it was done in the manufacturing process, perhaps some clamping mechanism during forming.

The marks on your magazines are on either the left or right, not consistently on one side.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
It's not your mag loader. It's something in the processing. I use the same loader on my 365 mags and just about all other high cap mags and it doesn't leave any marks one the backs of any of the magazines.

I have the 2 10 rd mags that came with the 365 and two 12 rd mags I bought new and separately. One of the 12 rd mags has a very similar mark. You can tell its not a wear or abrasion issue.

I noticed it right away. I am pretty picky about blemishes on just about anything. My advice is to just use the magazines and forget about it. The marks can't be see when the mag is in the pistol and they don't affect function. I"ll bet you get years of use from the magazines with no problems.

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Malysh:
It's not your mag loader. It's something in the processing. I use the same loader on my 365 mags and just about all other high cap mags and it doesn't leave any marks one the backs of any of the magazines.

I have the 2 10 rd mags that came with the 365 and two 12 rd mags I bought new and separately. One of the 12 rd mags has a very similar mark. You can tell its not a wear or abrasion issue.

I noticed it right away. I am pretty picky about blemishes on just about anything. My advice is to just use the magazines and forget about it. The marks can't be see when the mag is in the pistol and they don't affect function. I"ll bet you get years of use from the magazines with no problems.

Yeah, I'm pretty anal about the condition of my stuff as well, and things I buy, and would swear these weren't there when I purchased the gun. Despite having yet not proven it's reliability at the range, I did start pocket carrying it soon after purchase, so, it's not like I hadn't handled the magazines prior. If the general consensus is it's not the Maglula, and there's nothing I can conceive of internally within the pistol that could possibly cause this damage, then it must be something inherent in the magazine's manufacture, that has now presented itself after handling (reloading at range/firing rounds). Despite my anal nature about my stuff I purchased this pistol as a carry gun, and thus, while I have every intention of maintaining it and keeping it as nice as possible for as long as possible, I didn't purchase it to be a "safe queen" and fully expect it to experience wear. So, not really concerned about the aesthetics of the mags, just, can't help but have some doubts as to Sig manufacturing quality control. It has now had roughly 200 rounds put through it, with no issues, but especially now, have doubts about running +P ammo through it, which I normally wouldn't do, but, my stockpile of standard pressure self defense 9mm ammo is getting low, and it seems that most of what's available online, when it is available, is 124 grain +P or 147 grain. Never used 147 grain 9mm before, and from my online research seems as though hollowpoint expansion is generally garbage with 147 grain rounds out of such a short barrel, but, that's another matter altogether.

Btw, thanks everyone for your responses!

posted Hide Post
The round pressure (SAAMI standard, vs. +P) has nothing to do with magazine wear on your pistol or any other. Nothing.

147 grain runs fine in the P365.

There's a perception that for a shot to be effective, it has to expand, which is ridiculous. In fact, depending on circumstances, expansion reduces effectiveness by preventing the round from penetrating deep enough to do damage.

The marks on the magazine are not typical of the P365 or it's magazines; I own more than one P365, and a box of magazines for it, with no indications of any such mark. The pictures appear to show mirror images, with the marks appearing right and left of the the centerline of the backstrap of the mag, at the same height and position. They appear to show not only wear, but significant pressure in the same spot.

My first thought was wear from vibration, resting against a carrier or some surface; the fact that the marks mirror one another but are bilateral (left and right) is curious, but not typical of the P365, or P365 magazines.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've seen smileys on barrels before. Never on magazines.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post