SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 modularity... is there a chart?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 modularity... is there a chart? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Hi, all. I'm really liking my P320sc, and have started to consider "accessorizing." My difficulty right now -- like usual -- is that I don't have enough knowledge.

Is there a master chart of some sort that tells me which grips, slides, and so forth can be interchanged with which models?

I've looked around Sig's web site and not found it. Thank you.

God bless America.

Posts: 13396 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No chart that I know of.

Basically, all the 9mm, .40, and .357 slides and grips are interchangeable and use the same FCUs, while the .45s are separate.

Some combinations are goofy, like a Subcompact slide on a Full Size frame (or vice-versa), but they technically will function. The most common combinations are:

Full Slide/Full Grip
Full Slide/Carry Grip (slide hangs off the front a little)
Full Slide/Compact Grip (slide hangs off a little)
Compact Slide/Carry Grip
Compact Slide/Compact Grip
Compact Slide/Subcompact Grip (slide hangs off a little)
Subcompact Slide/Subcompact Grip

The Full Size and Carry grips use Full Size magazines. The Compact Grip can use Compact (flush) and Full Size magazines, but the longer mags will stick out the bottom of the grip. Similarly, the Subcompact Grip can use Subcompact (flush), Compact, and Full Size grips, but the longer mags will stick out.

There are X-Grip adapters that will fill the gap left when using the longer magazines in the shorter grips.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here are some example photos I posted in another thread. All are 9mms.

Full Size Slide on Black Carry Grip - 17+1 rounds

Compact Slide with Black P320 Carry grip - 17+1 rounds

Compact Slide with OD Green P320 Compact grip - 15+1 rounds

Compact Slide with FDE P320 Subcompact railed grip - 12+1 rounds

P320 Carry with extended magazine - 21+1 rounds

P320 Compact with Full Size/Carry magazine and X-Grip adapter - Same grip length as the Carry - 17+1 rounds

Compact Slide on Subcompact grip with Compact magazine and X-Grip adapter - Same grip length as the Compact - 15+1 rounds

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Factory configurations...

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those who have tried it say that the .45 ACP FCU will work with the 9mm, .40 S&W, 357 SIG slides, barrels, and magazines. SIG does not approve this, however, because apparently using the .45 ACP with the smaller calibers will disable the magazine disconnect feature that prevents take down of the pistol unless the magazine is removed.

If you have the subcompact model, it probably came with the small grip module. You will know this if the grip module lacks a rail and has a rounded trigger guard. You could easily switch to a medium grip module if you wanted an accessory rail and squared off trigger guard (and fatter grip).

You can use magazines made for the compact and full-size P320 of the same caliber in your pistol, and use X-Grip magazine extender sleeves with the compact sized magazines.

The only grip modules that will fit the subcompact slide without modification are subcompact grip modules. You could, however, take a compact grip module and cut off the portion that overhung the subcompact slide.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pblanc:
The only grip modules that will fit the subcompact slide without modification are subcompact grip modules. You could, however, take a compact grip module and cut off the portion that overhung the subcompact slide.

As I mentioned earlier, unmodified Compact/Carry/Full Size grips will technically work with the Subcompact slide. They just look really goofy.

Similarly, the Full Size slide works on a Subcompact frame, just with a gap on the underside where the recoil spring is exposed.

(Yes, I know a couple of those are P250s, but the modularity works the same, and I couldn't find example photos of P320s.)

posted Hide Post
Yes, the subcompact P320 upper will function on an unmodified compact or even full-sized grip module. But it looks pretty damned silly, and I think most folks would choose to modify the grip module by cutting off the overhang. Those who have done so say it is not difficult to do so, and the photos I have seen of the modified grip modules look pretty good.

I have read that SIG does not actually mold a separate grip module for the carry model (compact slide on full length grip module) but actually cuts down full-size grip modules, but I don't know if that is true.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the combo pictures.
I learned the 45 gun bought first can have all the cals 357 40 9 45 .

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. I have some studying to do.

Seems like I can turn my .40 subcompact into a 9mm SC or even a compact if I want to. Neat!

God bless America.

Posts: 13396 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure wish those photo links worked, got a 9sc I would like to have rails.
Looking at my options, I would like a larger grip. I assume any option will also require upgrading mags. Anyone with firsthand knowledge?
TIA

Posts: 4 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your SC slide is compatible with the X Compact grip frame.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15988 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the xcompact still need to be shortened?
Thanks

Posts: 4 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No need to shorten the X Compact grip.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15988 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an x carry grip and had steady grind mill it down to a sub compact size. Works well no issues shooting.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU
Do the compact and Xcompact grips come in small med and large too?
Hate to keep asking more, might have been better if Sig would have used different names.
Now to find some 15 round mags, if anyone sees this and knows where thanks again