SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    rolling cart for a range bag?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rolling cart for a range bag? Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted
I've been thinking of getting a cart or some sort of rolling range bag that can handle grass and sand, which rules out those types that use rollerblade luggage wheels.

2 kinds come to mind - something like Klein tools rolling tool bag seems like it will work well and maybe the tool pouches will hold mags.

And also the ZUCA Transit cart that was designed for Frisbee golf.

The bottom portion seems like it would be great to haul around the heavy bag of 8" steel plates I have.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Those Klein suckers are heavy empty. lol We buy them for the guys at work, I don't know how well they'd work in the sand.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Hmm, yeah, about 20 lbs empty seems a bit much. Frown

The Zuca one above is about 15 lbs

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
If off-road is what you're after, the bottom one looks like it would do better in that application. I see kids at our local college pulling those around all the time (crazy the amount of gear that folks put into frisbee golf!) and they seem to work pretty well, although I'm not sure how they'd do hauling steel plates.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I used the German made Ekla Multi Rolly the last 10 years I shot in competition. It carries your range bag and has a fold down seat. Pneumatic tires handle any terrain. I just sold mine a few months ago, since I've had to give up competition shooting due to mobility issues.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I use something like this.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Spo...tdoor/dp/B0079P1KH6/

Relatively affordable, holds range bag, shooting rests, tons of ammo. Probably not great on soft sand, but otherwise rolls well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is what I use for matches. Doubles as a chair.
They work good in the sand and rough terrain.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mi...48-22-8426/303005865

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsjac,

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, the Milwaukee packout is the answer. I stack it with 2 of the packout crates for random stuff. The system is modular, so you can configure any way you wish. I’ve got a rifle holder attachment in the works for mine as well.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm surprised that there isn't a gun range specific product out there that's designed from the ground up for this type of stuff.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Search for Rolan Kraps thread from a few years back as he built his own Steam Punk range cart built specifically for shooting range use and shared pics of it ....or, perhaps contact him directly.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My angle for matches if you are carrying around more than the bare minimum ( gun ammo magazine eyes ears and water ) you are carrying too much.my “ range bag “ for a match is under 5 pounds
For. General range work keep all the extra junk in the car.
If what you need for a match can’t fit in a bAg the size of a shoebox or smaller ditch the excess.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Rifle shooters usually use something from Creedmoor Sports that's custom configured for the task. We take all our gear from line to line as the match progresses. For pistol matches I've never had to leave the firing line once the match starts except for Camp Perry. The last collapsible cart I bought I got from Dicks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I use something like this.

The wider the tire/wheel the better if you're going on sand, narrow tires/wheels will sink, and you'll hate having to constantly pull it out.

The MIlwaukee and similar type units might end up being drag bags if the sand is soft.

Ammo is heavy load up 500 to 1000 rounds and it's going to be tough to pull through soft sand without a wide wheel...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have not shot a outdoor match for years but seem to remember most shooters, especially at a 3 gun match, used modified golf carts.

A place to keep your ammo and handguns on the bottom to keep weight down low, and a way to place long guns up-rite.
Easy to pull or push.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually own a Zuca roller for work. Great quality product.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had two of something similar for years. I found them at Lowes and they weren't nearly as heavy as the ones you show here. Heavy zipper, lots of pockets, wheels always worked right.

I used them for my rifle stuff and for my Black Powder stuff. I just gave the last one to my buddy Monday.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor made a pretty neat cart out of a baby stroller for sporting clay use. On each side he has clips to hold a shotgun, and the seat/underneath are perfect for shell boxes.

Posts: 993 | Location: Northwest NJ | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to not need a mule team at times but some places that I shoot is a pretty good hump.
I have a handtruck with pneumatic wheels that I load up stands, plates and everything else I may need, strap it down and start hoofing it.
By the time it's loaded with ammo and everything else it's a pretty good pull.
Not so bad at the end of the day when all the ammo is gone and it's downhill to the truck.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
When I shot a lot of matches I bought this small cart. It has pneumatic tires so it worked great on all terrain. It had room for two range bags and a small ice chest which was great in the summer.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post