SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question about Milt Sparks VM2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Milt Sparks VM2 Login/Join 
posted
Hey folks. I have 2 Milt Sparks VM2 holster. The one I have for my shield is fantastic. It conceals well, draws smooth, and in general is a quality holster. I bought both of them used.

The one I bought for the Sig P320 has me scratching my head. First it is not closed at the bottom like the shield holster, it does not have a smooth of a draw, and in general something seems off about it.

It has all the right markings etc.. and I will post a pick tonight. Anyone else have a VM2 for their Sig P320 they could post up?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, a P320 what? Compact, Sub-Compact, FS?

I've got five VM-2's, none for my P320. The P320 rail is huge/long and requires more precise vertical movement or it starts to bind when canted prematurely. I have a number of Blade-Techs and the only gun that has this issue is my P320 FS and P320C. I'm not fond of the full slide length rail concept.

The tightness could be due to the fact it's new. Might smooth out with use. Also, make sure the metal band at the top is not too tight. Adjust if necessary.

Other tricks. If it's a little tight, put the gun in a heavy plastic bag. Insert into holster and leave for several days. This is what Sparks recommends.

Finally, if still have the problem, try a little silicone spray. There are also some products out there for treating tight holsters. Can't remember the names at the moment.

Finally, a smaller gun like the Shield is going to draw cleaner/smoother.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'll take a WAG that the open bottom at the muzzle end, if it ends flush with the muzzle, is not a fault, but a feature. I like open muzzle holsters better than closed. Closing the end adds extra length to the holster, which wouldn't hurt anything on the Shield, but would make a difference on any of the P320 models. It also lets debris build up in the bottom over time.

I also assume you got it from MS themselves, or a reputable third party. Maybe a little farfetched, but, conceivably, anybody could make a holster and stamp to look like a genuine MS.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am fairly sure Milt Sparks holsters are supposed to be treated with Renaissance Wax. Any other product can void the warrantee. You should contact them to be 100% sure..

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wear it in.
BTW, where did you find it as I am looking for one?

Posts: 167 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Ebay.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
TGS offers the Milt Sparks for the Full Size and Carry P320's.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/mi...-p320-full-size.html

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always bought direct from Sparks (since 1975). The 3-4 month wait never bothered me.

http://www.miltsparks.com/products-inside.php

Interesting. The TGS price is $146, Sparks direct is 125.

Advantage of direct is choice of loop sizes and color. Typically, you can select natural, black or cordovan colors and 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" loops.

I use 1 1/4" loops. Can use with suit/dress pants as well as jeans. The norm is 1 1/2".

BTW, orders are placed by phone. That way they can be sure you are ordering the proper stuff. It's a small custom leather shop specializing in CCW products. They both design and test everything they sell. In the 1970's it was VERY small...Milt. His wife handled the admin side. They were both good friends with Jeff Cooper.

Also, several years ago, they had a major problem with e-Bay sales. Speculators were ordering several holster and reselling at two-three times the Sparks price. They explain on the Web site. Spec guys were making more than Sparks and f-----g up the order times for regular customers. I got caught up in that with an order...my delivery time was about eight months.

OP, just thought of this. Call Sparks at (208) 377-5577 M-F 7am to 5:15pm MST. They actually answer phones and can answer your questions. They don't do e-mail. Old school.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Couple of things to point out.

Every VM2 I own has an open bottom. I have them for Glocks, SIGs, 1911s, and HKs.

The other thing I will point out is that the rail system on the P320 is horrible on holster makers. When you custom form the P320 to anything, you have to putty in the rails or you will create yourselves a cheese grater when you holster and unholster because the rail is that aggressive. If I had to throw out a guess, I'd say that Sparks mold gun isn't putty'd, and that just caused close form fit on the actual models.

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Treat it like any other tight leather product and you'll see many happy years together.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, me again...

One thing I do with any new holster is wear it around the house for a while. While I carry 100% of the time when I'm out, I find it beneficial to break-in the holster first. It will conform to the gun and to your body. This is for IWB and OWB holsters.

If the holster is still too tight, I follow the procedure in my first post.