SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Purchased a Ruger LC9s recently. Trigger sting input wanted.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchased a Ruger LC9s recently. Trigger sting input wanted. Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted

This summer, a local gunshop had a really special sale on some pistols, and included the Ruger LC9 series. The Pro series was included, so that is what I purchased. This was to replace my Kel Tec PF9, which has given me good service.

I mainly wanted a faster trigger pull, vs the DA pull of the PF9. I realize the LC9s is old news, but Some think these pistols are being discounted heavily to reduce inventories for the introduction of a redesigned LC9 series.

I looked at the EC9s, but really wanted the option of replaceable sights, which is something I did ( Hi Viz FO sights).

I also had the slide treated with Ion Bond, added a Hogue Beavertail grip sleeve, and purchased 2 extra magazines. I'm very pleased with this little pistol in the 250+- rounds I have shot through it.

My only complaint is trigger sting, which I've read happens with some LC9 s owners. I smoothed the edges of the trigger and safety blade before refinishing those parts with Moly Resin, but still getting trigger sting. The sting is not severe, but strong enough to be slightly irritating.

Any one have this problem with their LC9s ?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have the pro model and it does not have the trigger sting.... with that said I really never could get real comfortable shooting it, just a tad too much 'snap' for me.

At the risk of violating forum rules, you might want to try my friends over at the Rugerforum.com (not net but com)... or at least look over there. I think this has been discussed a good bit.

The other thing I did not like about the LC9 was that after one summer carrying it the slide and mags started to rust.... fixed this to a degree by soaking my leather holster in Wd-40 but I still converted ... to Sig.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I have the pro model and it does not have the trigger sting.... with that said I really never could get real comfortable shooting it, just a tad too much 'snap' for me.

At the risk of violating forum rules, you might want to try my friends over at the Rugerforum.com (not net but com)... or at least look over there. I think this has been discussed a good bit.

The other thing I did not like about the LC9 was that after one summer carrying it the slide and mags started to rust.... fixed this to a degree by soaking my leather holster in Wd-40 but I still converted ... to Sig.

Thank you for your posting. The rust issue is why I immediately had the slide treated with Ion Bond. The Sig 365 is an excellent pistol, but A. I could not afford it at the time & B. The grip of the LC9s fits my hands better.

I refinished the blued parts ( controls, barrel, magazines with Norrel's Moly Resin).

I have read sone of the postings about trigger sting in both of the Ruger forums, many of the owners that have this problem, have sent their pistols back to Ruger, but still come back having the trigger sting.

I really would not rather send it in for this.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot the LC9 a few times and it stung me too. Most Glock triggers do too. I attribute this to the tabbed trigger. I replace most Glock triggers for a smooth face and a better fitted tab, which cures most of the sting.
I dont know if a better trigger is available for the Ruger.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I have owned one for several years. Very accurate and reliable. No trigger sting.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I see a new polymer gun with a Glock-style trigger, I pass. I had to get rid of my Glock due to trigger sting.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I shot the LC9 a few times and it stung me too. Most Glock triggers do too. I attribute this to the tabbed trigger. I replace most Glock triggers for a smooth face and a better fitted tab, which cures most of the sting.
I dont know if a better trigger is available for the Ruger.

Galloway Precision is making one, but I did not have good luck with a similar trigger they offered for the LCPII.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
Tell us more about the slide rust proofing you did.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
Tell us more about the slide rust proofing you did.

Ion Bond is a well known Hardness Treatment offered in several colors. It does not show holster wear, is highly rust resistant, Using a Ion Bond treated gun in a Kydex holster shows no wear after much useage.

Many of the custom 1911 builders use this treatment and a long term durability finish.

Here is the vendor I use, and information about the treatment. It's not cheap, but unlikly you will ever need to refinish your gun in the future.

The Moly Resin finish is a thermally cured spray on finish, made by John Norrel. Rust resistant, good lubrication properties, but not a hard finish, or impervious to wear.

http://www.clubcustomguns.com

美しい犬

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I had never heard the term "trigger sting" before, so googled it. Seems like some type of energy transfer from trigger back to your finger during firing or recoil - yes ?

I would think trying different grip /holds on the gun and different amounts of pressure with left and right hand might offer some way to lessen the sting. Of course - you'd have to figure out if you're sacrificing accuracy/repeatability (due to grip) in order to get rid of some of that sting.

Don't know any more than that.

I have a snappy .380 that I've put cushion foam material on to lessen the pain of shooting, but I've never experienced that pain in my trigger finger.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
I had never heard the term "trigger sting" before, so googled it. Seems like some type of energy transfer from trigger back to your finger during firing or recoil - yes ?

I would think trying different grip /holds on the gun and different amounts of pressure with left and right hand might offer some way to lessen the sting. Of course - you'd have to figure out if you're sacrificing accuracy/repeatability (due to grip) in order to get rid of some of that sting.

Don't know any more than that.

I have a snappy .380 that I've put cushion foam material on to lessen the pain of shooting, but I've never experienced that pain in my trigger finger.

Trigger sting can come from several things. Sometimes its called trigger slap, its basically the sharp return of the trigger during reset. Often its due to the vibration of the trigger safety bar or shape , on non safety bar triggers, mostly from vibration traveling through the trigger linkage.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:Trigger sting can come from several things. Sometimes its called trigger slap, its basically the sharp return of the trigger during reset. Often its due to the vibration of the trigger safety bar or shape , on non safety bar triggers, mostly from vibration traveling through the trigger linkage.

Can be VERY painful with the 9X18 Makarov "Blow back" designed handguns. My Polish P64 is a good example. My recently departed Ruger LC9s had "trigger slap" and was one reason why I sold it.

Interestingly, my East German 9X18 Makarov doesn't have this trigger problem. IMO, might be due to German tighter production methods and the rubber aftermarket grip.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post