SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I picked up a STI Duty One 5.0
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I picked up a STI Duty One 5.0 Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
Sweet shooting gun! One of the best 9mm pistols that I ever shot. I did have one problem though. The slide does not lock back on an empty mag. I took it apart, no problems noted, took the mag apart, nice and clean. The friend had a limber 9mm, we tried his mag, same thing, tried his bolt catch, same thing. There was a fella there that said I needed a Wilson bolt catch as there was just a little more substantial where it catches the slide. I put a call into STI and got voice mail as it was close to the end of business hours there, hoping to get a call back today. I'm not sure if the recoil system was causing it. Any ideas? I hate to send a brand new gun back.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
STI might just send you the part. I've only had the opposite issue with STI's (2011's)... too much meat on the slide stop causing the gun to lock back with one still in the mag.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
STI's are for people who enjoy tinkering with guns, they are never quite right so you'll always have something to fix/tweak/bend Razz

Seriously though, I wouldn't even bother with STI's customer service, they were absolutely horrible when I had an issue with one of their guns...so bad I'll never buy one again. Find a good smith and send it to them. That's the best way to make an STI run right imo.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
STI might just send you the part. I've only had the opposite issue with STI's (2011's)... too much meat on the slide stop causing the gun to lock back with one still in the mag.

I had this same issue with a VIP. STI CS sent me a new one in the mail, took 3 days and fixed the problem.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
STI prides itself on customer service, but my experience was terrible. The front sight on my $2k pistol came offset. I emailed and called for a week before I gave up and bought a sight pusher. The pistol is damn good.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I was able to snag a Perfect 10 for cheap. Works great (so far).

'I wouldn't even bother with STI's customer service' I can not agree or reinforce any statement more than this one.

I was trying to buy aluminum grips for their 2011 by calling the number listed as 'customer service' on the STI website and they basically told me to piss off.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
STI prides itself on customer service...

What? Damn! I had to read this twice.

Then I read further and found your experience was similar to mine...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:

Yeah. They think they're good. The really scary part is that I bought the pistol outright and they knew I was doing a review for a national publication and still blew me off. The pistol is amazing, but no more for me.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Well damn! I friend gave me a new SS 9mm slide lock today I don't know what brand it is. I locks the slide back, but I think it's a tad oversized so I am going to massage it. I didn't hear back from STI today, so I'll try tomorrow. Seems lime them being in Teaxas, they would have great customer service!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I watched a great video by Hickok45 last evening, shooting the Edge 9mm. He did mention their CS a number of times. The pistol functioned perfect and the 80 yard gong shots were simple and consistant. Even the small chickens at around 50 yards to 60 were a snap. I've seen pans of their 40 cal barrels made in Ohio.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah. They think they're good. The really scary part is that I bought the pistol outright and they knew I was doing a review for a national publication and still blew me off. The pistol is amazing, but no more for me.

Imagine my surprise when they told me to piss off after I called to order a $300 aluminum grip. Confused

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Imagine my surprise when they told me to piss off after I called to order a $300 aluminum grip. Confused

They saved you the headache of an expensive grip that would eventually fail catastrophically... THAT'S GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've had an Edge in 40 for about 5 years and MY FIL has a GrandMaster in 38supercomp for about 7 years...

neither guns had had one hiccup...not one....

I bought mine thru Dawson Precision and so did FIL, they may go over the innards before selling them.

I can't say one bad thing about mine.

Sorry you have had a problem.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Mine's been utterly reliable as well.. Of course it is mainly my back up gun and occasional practice gun to keep miles off my SV's... It's bone stock save for a CK steel grip and a SV modular trigger. Good enough trigger, Kinda heavy, but no creep. It runs whatever I feed it.

My only complaint is the barrel is very fast compared to my SV's, so major PF from my AET barreled SV's is like 190+ pf out of the STI for some reason. I think this is probably more of an issue with the SV/Schumann/AET gain twist barrels than it is a fault of the STI.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I shot it today and 3 times it locked back on its own on an empty mag. 100 rounds through it total now. I'm not giving up on it, it shoots fantastic, very consistant!

Beth Greene

Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I carried my Tactical 5.0 on duty for years - never had one issue with it. The hardest part was finding mags that were 100% reliable...seems about 1 in every 5 just wouldn't cut it, but once a mag proved itself, it never failed. Considering the price, I'd have expected every single mag to be 100%. Still have it - one of the best shooting 1911s I have.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
I carried my Tactical 5.0 on duty for years - never had one issue with it. The hardest part was finding mags that were 100% reliable...seems about 1 in every 5 just wouldn't cut it, but once a mag proved itself, it never failed. Considering the price, I'd have expected every single mag to be 100%. Still have it - one of the best shooting 1911s I have.

The mags are definitely the weak point in the platform. I run old style SV mags, have 5 in 40 and 3 in 9. They run. MBX mags are good (and expensive). My STI mags are largely relegated to dry fire and practice duty.

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Dawson sells a tuning kit for the mags.

Once they are tuned up they are good to go for the long haul.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Dawson sells a tuning kit for the mags.

Once they are tuned up they are good to go for the long haul.

Bob

You really shouldn't have to buy a $100 kit to tune your own $70 magazines, imo...

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I agree, but I really don't want to have the grief of mags that wont work.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post