SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rock Island 1911's...your opinions please...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Island 1911's...your opinions please... Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I've been eyeballing a Rock Island 1911 for a 1911 to tinker around with, or maybe carry. (I'm looking at a 9mm version..)

I have zero experience with these but I hear good things...I already have a Colt Combat Commander XSE and a Kimber TLE/RL II.

Does anyone have any experience with them? What is their quality? How are they for a project gun? Would you carry one?

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have a plain Jane A1 model (45acp), and it's everything I wanted.

Fit is comparable to the SA 1911s I've shot in the past, reliability has been excellent for me (full disclosure, I only have roughly 1,000 rounds through it so far).

I've used the supplied 7 round RIA magazine, a Wilson 7 round mag, and a Chip McCormick flush fit 8 round mag with no problems.

I've shot smoother 1911s, but this has filled my want for a GI clone, and for sub $400, the price was definitely right.

While I can't speak to the 9mm version, I'm impressed enough with the .45 version to give it a go.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No personal experience with the RIA in 9MM, BUT I've owned two RIA in .45acp. Both had series 70 trigger system. Both fed and ejected anything in .45. And both cost less than 1/2 the price of a NIB Colt .45acp.

As a bonus, many readily available Colt parts at gun shows will fit the RIA .45.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine has one of these. I'm a big fan of it. Love the .22TCM rounds, shoots a giant fireball out of it.

RIA 9MM/.22TCM

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During the previous firearms drought, about five years ago or so, I bought a new Citadel 9mm full size for our son. Like RI, Citadel is part of the Armscor group. Only upgrade we made was to replace the black front sight with a Dawson FO.

I am really impressed with the quality, for a lower-end pistol. The slide fit is tighter than on some more expensive 1911 pistols, and it is very reliable.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a FS in 9mm. Actually this is my second. The first one was so out of spec. they replaced it, no questions asked. It's very reliable and shoots anything. My only beef with RIA is that their guns are much heavier than other brands in the same size. If you can deal with the weight, they're a good brand.

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I bought a full sized 9mm a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. It has been 100% reliable and is quite accurate.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Paul Harrell's Rock Island Armory 1911 Review on youtube. I think that will answer alot of your questions.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Like Merc50 I acquired a 1911 manufactured in the Philippines by Armscor. Mine was branded a Charles Daly Field EFS model. Bought it new in 2006. More info and a picture here: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...260046664#3260046664

Replaced a few parts out of personal preference. Sucker has run great for an inexpensive pistol. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another Armscor pistol.

FWIW Mr. Kassner, the owner of Charles Daly split from Armscor in the Spring of 2008. He posted publicly:

"Many of you will wonder why this has occurred. Without going into too many details, suffice to say that after significant price increases from Armscor over the past two years, and Armscor's opening of its US office to market and sell Armscor and RIA branded 1911's, it is not in Charles Daly's best interest to try and compete with one of its manufacturers. Armscor makes guns for RIA and Hi-Standard and supplies components to many others (STI, etc.). There is no point for Charles Daly to try and sell the same gun to the US market at these new price levels, albeit with different features and finishes."

That was the beginning of the end of Charles Daly which (along with KBI) closed its doors in January 2010. In later years the trademark was sold to others.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We own two RIA's. Our tac model has approximately 2500 rounds downrange. It has a good trigger and has been accurate with no reliability issues. We also own a full rail tac that has not been shot much. It too has a good trigger and places the pellet where the sights are pointed. We have tweaked both a bit, replacing the plastic main spring housings with steel; and replacing the factory grip stocks with something more to our liking.
We generally use Wilson 47D mags in both, although we have had no real issues with the factory mags.

In our experience, these RIA's are quite satisfactory especially for the $$$.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIA 9MM/.22TCM

I have the 3.5" - Love it
22TCM is a blast to shoot - Helps to reload for it as well.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I have owned a RIA 1911 in 9mm for almost 4 yrs. now. Haven't had any problems and it is accurate. Also have a Citadel Compact in 9mm and it also has been trouble free and accurate.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Citadel owner here. Mine had an issue with a poorly fitted slide stop that locked the slide back with one round left in the mag. Common 1911 problem. I sent it to the mother ship in Pahrump and they fixed it pretty quickly.
Now runs perfectly. Has all the modern features that 1911 fans want these days.
Quite happy with it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No direct experience. FWIW though, I shoot with several guys once a week. Three occasionally use GM size Rock Island 1911's. No reliability or accuracy issues that I've personally observed. No complaints either. Rather amazing for a low-end (price wise) pistol.

It always seemed to me that it shouldn't be rocket science to manufacture a proven design that's been around for over 100 years. Especially if you stick close to mil-spec and don't try to "improve" it.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
How well do they cycle hollow points?

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
A well timed question. See the review below from yesterday.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/809ttTh9XUM

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
How well do they cycle hollow points?

I haven't had a problem using hollow points. I use 115gr. Hornady Critical Defense.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned several RIA 1911's (.45 and 9mm) and they represent a fantastic value. However, the 9mm does not have a ramped barrel and they would not feel all bullet profiles 100%.

Posts: 40 | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Here's my unboxing/oveview/review/shoot of an RIA GI and FS Tactical models for any interested. I like them quite a bit. the GI is probably my favorite 1911 to shoot at the range.

https://youtu.be/OioVPzJcrmU

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I have one in 38 Super, decent trigger, no malfunctions, but it would throw the first round in every mag. Not a lot, but still. I called their CS, and they sent me a return authorization. They fixed the issue and returned it to me at no charge. This on an inexpensive 1911. I'm a fan.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post