SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 mags. American or Italian? Info needed.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 mags. American or Italian? Info needed. Login/Join 
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted
A friend's P320 came with 2 "Made in Italy" mags. My new P320 Carry has "Made in USA" stamped on them. Now I've been around a while so I clearly remember all the problems USA mags gave with our "P" series Sigs. And also what a sterling reputation Mec-Ger has so rightly earned. So my question is, has there been ANY problems at all with the USA mags? Does anyone see any differences in quality between them?
Any input or comments would be greatly appreciated. As always, thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
In our classes, and my time with TeamSIG, I have seen exactly one malfunction with the Checkmate magazines. It appeared to be from where the mag had been dropped.

SIG uses both manufacturers to provide magazines. When you walk down the assembly line, you see boxes of both.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard of any issues with CHECKMATE in the P320. They must have improved upon their magazines from earlier SIG Classic offerings.

FWIW, even DAN WESSON uses CHECKMATE in their custom pistols.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall the P320 USA mag issue being discussed here last year. Many reacted the same as you did. However, none of the posters on those threads reported any problems with the P320 Checkmates. From the posts, it's apparently a random thing as to whether you get Italy or USA mags with a new P320. Or even ordered directly from a vendor. Consistent with what Jones posted.

IIRC, the original problem Checkmate experienced several years back was due to improper heat treatment. It's pretty much ancient history now, but the rap lives on.

I personally own about 17 P320 mags, all Italian Mec-Gars. The ones I bought from TGS a few months ago were made in Italy. Since I don't have any Checkmates, I can't give you a visual on them.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I've gotta admit, I'd rather have MecGars. Checkmates have established good reputations with other pistols (weren't they the ones who ran into problems making M9 magazines?), but I've used the MecGars in Sigs for years and never had a problem with them. The 250 and 320 are recent enough additions that they're still kind of a new proposition for any magazine manufacturer, but the MecGar 40/357 mags I have cycled at least 3,000 rounds through the 250 and 320 Fs without a problem that wasn't clearly related to bullet profile.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
I recall the P320 USA mag issue being discussed here last year. Many reacted the same as you did. However, none of the posters on those threads reported any problems with the P320 Checkmates. From the posts, it's apparently a random thing as to whether you get Italy or USA mags with a new P320. Or even ordered directly from a vendor. Consistent with what Jones posted.

IIRC, the original problem Checkmate experienced several years back was due to improper heat treatment. It's pretty much ancient history now, but the rap lives on.

I personally own about 17 P320 mags, all Italian Mec-Gars. The ones I bought from TGS a few months ago were made in Italy. Since I don't have any Checkmates, I can't give you a visual on them.

Nipper do you have a link to those discussions?

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any problems with Checkmate mags, but the Mec-Gar branded mage are usually a good bit cheaper. (the Sig Sauer branded Mec-Gar mags are the same price as Checkmate)

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
The ones that came with my P320 full-size 9mm were made in USA. I picked up 3 Mec-Gars later. They all function just fine and all seem well made.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
......Nipper do you have a link to those discussions?

No. Even if I did, they've probably all been deleted. It was a couple of years ago...maybe longer.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I have both. Only difference I see is the USA mags have slightly stiffer springs when new. Loading that last round in is extremely difficult. Italian mags were still stiff but took the final round without risking a sprained thumb.

Functionally, I've seen no difference. I did NOT like the Checkmate mags for my 226. Admittedly, that was as much a cosmetic issue (floorplate) as it was the rumors of potential reliability issues. I've got several that get used as range mags without problems.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I have both. Only difference I see is the USA mags have slightly stiffer springs when new. Loading that last round in is extremely difficult. Italian mags were still stiff but took the final round without risking a sprained thumb.

Functionally, I've seen no difference. I did NOT like the Checkmate mags for my 226. Admittedly, that was as much a cosmetic issue (floorplate) as it was the rumors of potential reliability issues. I've got several that get used as range mags without problems.

My P229-1 mags are very stiff. I'm wondering if I have the USA mags.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
My two American made run just fine in my P320SC.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post