SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Today I am one step closer to my very own range.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I am one step closer to my very own range. Login/Join 
posted
This morning I ordered a 4ftx8ft sheet of 3/8 AR500 steel that will be laser cut into 30 targets.
Next step is to finish the berms.

Open to suggestions and ideas on setups(placement, distances and so on)
Post some pics of your ranges.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
That's great. I so wish I lived in an area, and had enough land to do that. Maybe when I retire.....?

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A big part of it will be what kind of topography you have where you're setting up your range.
I have a place in western MD but it's all hills and the max I can get right now is about 180 yds.
Really wish I could get it out to about 500, but 180yds is immeasurably better than 0yds.
It's rural, so a bunch of steel and paper targets, cans/old bowling for plinking,lots of fun.
You'll have a blast! Enjoy!

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have a small range. I built a horseshoe shaped berm and I have a few homemade steel targets. I have some AR500 targets bu5 I want to build more/different stands for them.
I shoot mostly pistol and pistol caliber carbine.
I can stretch out to a bit over 100yards comfortably for rifle work.

What are you going shoot, mostly?
Pistol?
Rifle?
Rim/centerfire?

All of that will have a bearing on how things are placed.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i am not planning on using all the targets that I ordered right away. I am planning on building it in three stages.
First stage is going to be a horseshoe berm with 7-10 targets set 15-20 yards from shooting table.
Second part to my build I want something like an IDPA set up, where I move through the course.
I have a setup for shooting rifle up to 120yards but have the ability to go 250yards

Most of the shooting will be pistol caliber, little bit of 12ga mixed in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: scsigs,

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congrats.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLC762:

You know a big ass gong way up the hill would be just right....

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
My very next task is to find a deal on just the right spot of land with which I plan to make into my own range, camp spot, and who knows what with in the very near future.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, to all you folks with a home range...
How do you deal with the lead cleanup in/on the ground?

--- Joe ---
Sig Sauer P320RX, P229, P365XL
Henry Golden Boy 22LR
Ruger 10/22 Custom Build, AR-556, Wrangler
Springfield Saint
Browning URX
Tippmann M4-22 Elite-L

Posts: 32 | Location: SE, PA USA | Registered: June 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Very nice. My dream for retirement is to have a piece of land like yours, and have a small log cabin house. Wish list is to have a back property like that for a small target range, close to river to fish. Have kids and grandkids during their vacation time.

Enjoy your range. Now you don’t have to worry about being around annoying and unsafe shooters.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I am lucky enough to have both a 25 yard pistol range with 180 degree shooting to around 15 yards, and a rifle range that gets me out to almost 200 yards. last weekend I was shooting with a friend and we could hear two other neighbors shooting as well.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Auriemma:

To be honest I have not considered lead clean up, hopefully 100% will be trapped in the berm.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
Very nice. My dream for retirement is to have a piece of land like yours, and have a small log cabin house. Wish list is to have a back property like that for a small target range, close to river to fish. Have kids and grandkids during their vacation time.

Enjoy your range. Now you don’t have to worry about being around annoying and unsafe shooters.

I got a little creak that runs through but no fish. After I finish the range, I am planning on a small cabin 12x14 or so.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I am lucky enough to have both a 25 yard pistol range with 180 degree shooting to around 15 yards, and a rifle range that gets me out to almost 200 yards. last weekend I was shooting with a friend and we could hear two other neighbors shooting as well.

Maybe they were pissed off neighbors with bad aim!

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Auriemma:

Are there federal or state mandated lead cleanup requirements for private gun ranges? I'm not familiar with any, so would be interested in which ones you are referring to. Don't want to get in trouble when I build my range.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The lead is an issue. We had a club member who had a range on his land for years. Down side was when he went to sell the property, the fact the range was there caused major issues in the sale. He tried to dig up the dirt and give it to our club but we turned it down.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
So was the "lead issue" related to state/federal involvement or simply because the buyer was concerned about the presence of the range and the dangers (perceived or real) from lead rounds? And how did the seller resolve it?

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
So was the "lead issue" related to state/federal involvement or simply because the buyer was concerned about the presence of the range and the dangers (perceived or real) from lead rounds? And how did the seller resolve it?

The lender/investor may not have wanted to lend money for a mortgage due to potential environmental related risk. Lead leaching into Well/ aquafier, surface runoff into stream etc. I’m guessing it would take a LOT of lead to reach that point but I’m no expert.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Scsig. Where are you located?

I’ve never heard of any issues with private shooting ranges and lead here in SC. I’ve been shooting on my property for a long time.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post