SIGforum
Today I am one step closer to my very own range.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7660069534

January 13, 2018, 08:38 AM
Tailhook 84
Today I am one step closer to my very own range.
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI: The lender/investor may not have wanted to lend money for a mortgage due to potential environmental related risk. Lead leaching into Well/ aquafier, surface runoff into stream etc. I’m guessing it would take a LOT of lead to reach that point but I’m no expert.

I'm no expert either, which is why I'm pressing the question in this thread. Yes, lead in drinking water is bad, but does a private shooting range with a few thousand rounds expended into the dirt berm really create this situation? Either there's some fact-based concerns that other posters have alluded to or it's just internet lore. Just trying to determine if there's a real threat to property values or the possibility of state/federal fines before building a range.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."
January 13, 2018, 10:41 AM
az4783054
We had a public "gun club" range (rifle and pistol) here in northern AZ which had been there for years. Then developers started building homes and people complained about the noise. The gun range lease was eventually terminated.

https://www.dcourier.com/news/...est-service-nearly-/

The cost to remove the lead in the birms was prohibitive and since the gun range operators did not clean it up, the Forest Service did it...$1,000,000 to haul away tons of dirt. If I remember correctly, they had to remove not only the birms but excavate to a certain depth of soil beneath the birms, then treat the remaining soil. It must be similar to cleaning up abandoned gas station fuel tanks.

The potential of lead contamination will have to be disclosed should the property ever be sold. If you GOOGLE "requirement to remove lead from gun range" the results may give you some insight.

I wonder if frangible bullets could be used to avoid the issue?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
January 13, 2018, 01:46 PM
scsigs
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
Scsig. Where are you located?

I’ve never heard of any issues with private shooting ranges and lead here in SC. I’ve been shooting on my property for a long time.

Near Spartanburg SC
January 13, 2018, 01:50 PM
scsigs
Great topics coming up, although I have no plans of selling the property but as they say never say never.
I will have to read up on this lead thing, just to know how much lead it takes to contaminate.
January 17, 2018, 01:57 PM
JSW
Congratulations, it’s a dream of mine to have my own range, probably of many gun people.

Wilsonblog
January 17, 2018, 03:01 PM
Rick_Perry
Congrats!

Like everyone else here - One day I hope to have something setup. The wife and I have been looking for property in Northern Michigan for while now. I think were getting close to pulling the trigger on something.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
January 18, 2018, 07:59 AM
hile
Looks like you guys have an awesome setup. Of course, my dream setup would be to have a somewhat smaller clone of Alliance in on my property.
January 18, 2018, 10:53 AM
fatmanspencer
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
My very next task is to find a deal on just the right spot of land with which I plan to make into my own range, camp spot, and who knows what with in the very near future.

Your close enough to me I'd go in on that with you for range usage.

Used guns deserve a home too
January 18, 2018, 03:25 PM
matthew03
quote:
Originally posted by DLC762:

That's getting to Hickock45 level there. Nice.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com