SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver grip angles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver grip angles Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I’ve gotten on a revolver kick lately.
I’ve always been a Ruger man, but I asked in another thread about the Talo SW 686+ guns....well, I now have 2 of the 3” models (thanks again, Dan) and I plan to complete the “set” with the 5” & 7” models.

But we won’t go into how I blame y’all for enabling me....really, it’s not my fault...Smile

Now, the question or observation...
We go on and on about grip angles (usually GLOCK v 1911) on semi autos.
I recall zero discussions about revolver grip angles. I have several Ruger revolvers (a couple gp100s, a Redhawk, and a Blackhawk) and a Colt King Cobra. the grip angles differ a bit between the double actions and the SAO guns.

Now I have the Smiths to compare as well. The angle is quite a bit different between the Rugers, the Smiths and the Colt (to me).

In fact, SAO revolvers seem to have the closest to the same grip angles across manufacturers.. It also seems that this angle can be changed fairly readily with aftermarket grips (or stocks, to some of you purists).

The grip angles on these revolvers (especially Colt & Smith) seems to most closely resemble glock’s, IMO.
Anyone else notice this ? And if so, why is it not discussed ad nauseam like it is in semi auto circles?
Am I even being coherent?

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wondered about the Glock grip angle for some time; it always felt odd to me, until one day I learned why Gaston did the grip angle the way he (and company) did.

Wrap your hand around a sword and thrust with it, tip out, and note your grip angle. Now hold a Glock. Same grip angle. Now hold a j-frame revolver. Same grip angle.

If you really want to rile up the masses, point out that the grip angle on the Glock and on the 1911 are the same. It's true, but always draws disbelief.

Revolver grip angle varies somewhat. Look at the difference in a Bisley grip on a Blackhawk, for example, vs a standard grip. The way they feel, of course, is subjective and quite different, but the way a pre-151 series security six sits in the hand (and moves under recoil) is different than the more common 151 and higher sixes, thanks to the shape of the backstrap near the top.

Thanks to the wide variety of grips on revolvers, the angle does change or can be changed substantially with fill for the front strap, back strap, or both.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I think grip angle with revolvers isn't thought of as a issue as grips can change the FEEL so easily.
Plus there are so many options out there. With most autos you are stuck with what You get. Short of radical Target grips , most customs will make the SAME basic grip either skinnier or fuller.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Thought I would mention....that the Rhinos from Chippa have the same Glock grip angle.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

If you really want to rile up the masses, point out that the grip angle on the Glock and on the 1911 are the same. It's true, but always draws disbelief.

That doesn't sound right.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
quote:

You're correct. It isn't right at all.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDragoon:
quote:
quote:

Didn’t that have something to do with the original curved Main Spring Housing as opposed to the straight MSH?

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Didn’t that have something to do with the original curved Main Spring Housing as opposed to the straight MSH?

technically, the grip angle is measured at the front strap vs. the bore. The back strap doesn't play into this.

You still have a point though as a flat back strap will make the pistol "point" lower compared to the same pistol with an arched back strap.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Because of their rounded shape, there isn't really any reference point to use for a revolver's grip angle. Still, Ruger and Smith & Wesson medium-frame revolvers point naturally for me, while small-frames point high. You would have to make them yourself, but the Ruger double-actions other than the Redhawk, because of their "stud" grip frame, could conceivably have any angle and trigger reach you want made into the grips. Medium-frame Smith & Wessons since circa 1995 have round-butt grip frames, even though the actual grips might be square butt. Changing from square to round and vice versa changes the angle a little bit.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do know this:
I shot both my 4” Ruger GP100 & one of my 3” SW 686+ pistols the other day.....
The GP100 was noticeably easier on me with regards to recoil & muzzle flip. Surely that wasn’t ALL due to the difference in barrel length....

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Glock grip angle: 110 degrees
1911 grip angle: 110 degrees

If you mean that it doesn't sound right that others don't like to hear this or won't believe it, don't be surprised. If you mean that it's not right that the grip angles are the same, you're wrong.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I just measured a 1911 and glock 19. With the top of the slide xeroed out. My angle gage shows 107.5 degrees on the 1911 front strap and 112 degrees on a 4th gen G19 on the front strap. Front strap is the proper way to get grip angle.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Glock grip angle: 110 degrees
1911 grip angle: 110 degrees

If you mean that it doesn't sound right that others don't like to hear this or won't believe it, don't be surprised. If you mean that it's not right that the grip angles are the same, you're wrong.
. You still aren’t right. Sorry.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Hmm. The picture of the 1911 stacked on the Glock appears convincing, but contrary to what I've heard and read and experienced.

What then causes the guns to point differently....i.e., Glocks "point high" compared to a 1911 or a SIG P-Series? Is it the backstrap hump on a Glock?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I would think yes.
Having never shot a 1911 with an arched mainspring housing, I'm not speaking from experience. All mine are flat.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
I would think yes.
Having never shot a 1911 with an arched mainspring housing, I'm not speaking from experience. All mine are flat.

I've shot 1911s with both flat and arched mainspring housings. They point the same for me, and they point differently from Glocks. I have to cant my wrist down in order to get a Glock on target compared to a 1911. My wrist cant on the Glock 23 I had was about the same as my 642.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmm. The picture of the 1911 stacked on the Glock appears convincing, but contrary to what I've heard and read and experienced.

What then causes the guns to point differently....i.e., Glocks "point high" compared to a 1911 or a SIG P-Series? Is it the backstrap hump on a Glock?

The angles are the same (or any difference so minor as to be trivial). It gets people going though, because so many are absolutely convinced that the Glock has a steeply raked grip. It doesn't.

The angle of the hand is different. The webbing of the hand sits higher on the grip, closer to the bore axis, and the angle from the webbing of the hand, through the trigger finger, is down and forward, when gripping a Glock. With a 1911, it's almost front to back, because of where the hand sits at the top of the grip (with, or without a beavertail).

I mention the 1911 because for so very long it's been held up as the ideal grip angle, and everything gets compared to the 1911. The Glock gets held up as a radical, hard to "point shoot" angle, and the reality is that they're the same.

People will argue it until they're blue in the face. Can't be, they say. You're wrong. But no.

The feel of the grip is subjective, depending on which Glock and which mainspring housing is on a 1911. Compact and subcompact Glocks have more palm swell higher on the grip, accentuating the angle between the webbing of the thumb and the trigger finger, making the pistol grip angle feel even more pronounced; this is a perception issue and not one of reality. The angle hasn't changed. Just the backstrap, and thus the feeling, and thus the perception. The grip angle is the same.