SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do I have?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I have? Login/Join 
Picture of Frogwalking
posted
Knowing nothing about Sigs, I bought p-220, .45 acp DAK. It is in good condition. I think the grips are wrong as they are cut for a decocker. if they are not original issue, what did the correct grips look like? Does it matter?

The trigger is good for a dao. It seems to be very reliable. It shoots low at 10 yards. The controls and recoil are very easy and soft.

Posts: 9 | Location: Smoky Mountains | Registered: December 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nice p220.

I wrote this yesterday for p226's, though my original gun i started this practice on was a p220 elite sao. Give this ago before changing the front sight.

quote:
I have owned a number of other guns, da/sa and sa. P226's may shoot low. Give this a try before changing out the front sight. Put a single dot (quarter sized) on a backward target. Take 200 rounds of ammo to the range. Load 5 rounds into the mag a time. Bring the gun up from low ready dropping the safety as the front sight comes up to the eye. Put a finger in, squeeze the trigger. Fire the 2nd round. Remove finger from the trigger, put the safety on, lower to low ready. Repeat the process till all 5 rounds are shot. Repeat 5 rounds at a time till all 200 are shot. I am betting the point of impact will slowly shift to where you want it with prolonged steady deliberate practice. P226 grips are deceivingly large versus today's modern 1 piece molded grips. They require a bit getting used to as compared to newer poly guns. That extra grip size has an effect on how people hold the pistol when firing. That I think leads to a fair bit of the guns shooting low.

As for Dak grips, I do not believe they shipped with anything different than the normal grips.

12131 tnks i was wrong

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
bought p-220, .45 acp DAK. It is in good condition. I think the grips are wrong as they are cut for a decocker. if they are not original issue, what did the correct grips look like? Does it matter?

Since this is a SP gun, anything is possible. The grips could very well be original for it. But, the original catalogued DAK SIGs came with the wood grips. Pic is not mine.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Most DAK models were shipped with plastic grip plates designed for DA/SA models with the decocker. Some SAS DAK models as pictured above had wood grips without the decocker cut.

A P226 with the usual grip plates provided with DAK models.

A P220 with replaced grip plates, but the originals were the same except black.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Most DAK models were shipped with plastic grip plates designed for DA/SA models with the decocker. Some SAS DAK models as pictured above had wood grips without the decocker cut.

A P226 with the usual grip plates provided with DAK models.

A P220 with replaced grip plates, but the originals were the same except black.

right hand mag release?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post