SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best slide lube for P226 9mm
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best slide lube for P226 9mm Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
On a new pistol you are breaking in metal parts.
There is a specialized lube for that.
It's called Engine Assembly Lube.

Microlon
Lubriplate 105

These are light greases and perfect for pistol slides.

Posts: 10 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't live in an artic climate so I use synthetic grease and Mobil One synthetic oil. If the grease is too thick, add oil to thin it out a bit. Haven't had any problems in years with many guns.

For 10 bucks, you can get a lifetime supply at Walmart. Pretty good deal compared to all the snake oils out there.

To clean off the grease, get a gallon of 70/30 isoprophyl alcohol at the beauty supply stores for around 8 bucks. A gallon should last about 15-20 cleanings if used sparingly with a spray bottle.

Posts: 526 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of markstempski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:

Microlon
Lubriplate 105

Microlon and Lubriplate 105 two of my favorites and I have tried just bout everything else mentioned in this thread.

Mundus Vult Decipi

Posts: 1073 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ogive40
posted Hide Post
Para makes a great and proven suggestion. Now I will have to try that grease/lube he mentioned.

I always keep my range guns really hosed down with numerous products on hand such as Wilson Ultima lube, Militec 1 and Tetra grease, etc. All work great.

I never thought of Ballistol as a lube. Its a jack of all trades...

"The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental."
John Steinbeck

Posts: 2211 | Location: NJ | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I plan to eventually switch over to SLIP 2000. I have been using RIG+P stainless lube after a cleaning with Breakfree or FP-10. It makes pistol slides feel like they're on ball bearings.

They're wicked slick!

Posts: 5018 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
BTW – I even use Slip2000 EWG (grease) on the rails of my Beretta 87 Target, even though many (most?) folks use oil to lube the rails of .22 pistols. Perfect reliability even though my ammo is Aguila Pistol Match, with a muzzle velocity at the low end of standard velocity.

Look about you.

Posts: 5101 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
I guess I am an old dinosaur.

I use just plain old LSA (aka Breakfree CLP) for all gun lube except an AR-10B I bought years ago.

The LSA lubricates and prevents rust fine. I don't use it for cleaning, though. I use Shooter's Choice or plain old Hoppe's #9 for that.

Posts: 121 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
For quite a while I used the Slip 2000 EWG on my slides but it was kinda messy for cleanup so I switched to the Slip 2000 EWL-30 oil for slides. Seems to protect ok and the cleanup is easier.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: yanici,

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2047 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what brand of CLP they use at the SIG Custom Shop? I've seen videos where they have giant squirt bottles of the stuff.

Posts: 1682 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
Does anyone know what brand of CLP they use at the SIG Custom Shop? I've seen videos where they have giant squirt bottles of the stuff.

Don’t know but you might refer to the below video from Sig Academy on cleaning / lubricating classic line Sigs. In the video, they are very noncommittal as to brand or even material type.

FWIW, Sig used oil to lube my old 226’s rails, etc when they performed the Service Plan work this summer. Also, the 226 manual only specifies grease (vs oil) for the rails of all stainless models.

That said, they do stress to run wet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKs-7iy5Ui4

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is one of the videos I was referring to. FWIW, I use Weapon Shield CLP on my P226, but I only shoot about 300 rounds per range session.

Posts: 1682 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have a half gallon tub of marine axle bearing grease. Works great, will probably last the rest of my life, and I only spent $10. Smile

Posts: 8380 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
Yes, that is one of the videos I was referring to. FWIW, I use Weapon Shield CLP on my P226, but I only shoot about 300 rounds per range session.

Perhaps I missed something, but thought that he was simply using solvent for the barrel and feed ramp / locking insert and then gun oil to lubricate the barrel, rails and other areas exposed to wear (say, interior of the top of the slide).

If I’m not mistaken, CLP was intended as a combo product whereas he was using solvent vs oil separately.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Fan of Slip 2000 EWG. I have a small tub I bought for cheap that will probably last me the rest of my life. Goes on easy, cleans up easy too. Makes my slides all slippery and doesn't get all gummy or run off. My guns run fine with it, just don't glob it on too heavy!

Posts: 119 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
In the video, they are very noncommittal as to brand or even material type.

They probably don't want to give away any free advertising to any one particular lubricant company.
Now if you want to partner up, let's make a deal and we will feature your product in our videos.
<wink>

Not a huge CLP fan, but I've seen Sage & Braker being called best of breed.
Break Free seems to be the omnipresent brand, though.

Posts: 10 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
Living in the Pac West, I am a fan of Lubriplate. It works pretty good.

quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:

Microlon
Lubriplate 105

Posts: 738 | Location: Pac Wet | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always thought way too much about grease and oil. You name it, I have tried it.

I like ballistol. It's not the greatest most hyped up stuff, but it works. People say it isn't a good lubricant for slide rails, but I have a p226 in .40 with 7-10k rounds down the pipe and it was lined with ballistol 7 out of 10 times. My rails look like new compared to most guns at work.

Posts: 381 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always, lots of good advice here. I tend to clean with Kroil which can be used alone. I then use EEZOX on the barrel because of its great lifting of copper residue and then ability to preserve metal. I have been using U S Army issued grease but have been giving Bull Frog a try on my heavier guns.

Scouts Out

Posts: 1086 | Registered: May 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been around firearms and firearms cleaning most of my life and in the past 4 years I have been gradually phasing out all the toxic cleaning/lube products.
I tried Froglube but found it wanting as a lubricant but it is an excellent corrosion preventative for the exterior.
Ballistol is non-toxic/non-carcinogenic so I use it in tight places and for cleaning.
ALG lube is non-toxic and seems to be a good lube so that's what I'm using now.

Posts: 24 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19225 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post