SIGforum
Best slide lube for P226 9mm

This topic can be found at:
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7640095264

October 29, 2019, 06:21 PM
wellthought
Best slide lube for P226 9mm
I currently use Ballistol on all my handguns to clean, lube, and protect. I just started doing this. Is Ballistol a good slide lube for a P226 9mm or is there something better that I should be using?
October 29, 2019, 06:27 PM
Vipers28
Here you go. Everything you need or want to know (I think).

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums...30601935/m/908103701
October 29, 2019, 06:33 PM
GaryBF
I am not a fan of Ballistol. For SIG frame rails, I believe it is too thin. Use your choice of grease on the rails.
October 29, 2019, 06:36 PM
Blue Dog
I like EWG by slip 2000
October 29, 2019, 07:27 PM
bubbatime
Ballistol is not a very good lube, and in my opinion, would be a terrible choice for a P226. These guns have massive slide rails, and require a different lube approach than many other guns.

A high quality grease seems to be the way to go. I use ALG very thin grease on everything and love it.

In arctic conditions, you might want a thinnish arctic gun oil.

October 29, 2019, 07:34 PM
parabellum
Slip2000 EWG mixed with a touch of EWL30. Slip2000 lubricants can be safely mixed, as the only difference is the amount of thickening agent in each- EWG, EWL30, EWL.

Slip2000 is the balls.
October 29, 2019, 08:03 PM
wellthought
I have some MD Labs XF7 that I once used on my M14 (M1A). Will that suffice? Is it good stuff?

Description: XF-7 is a truly water proof grease with extraordinary powers of lubrication and corrosion inhibition. Formulated specifically for use on modern weapons in adverse conditions of high temperature, fresh and salt-water immersion, and high cyclic rates. XF-7 provides continuous protection up to 500 degrees F, short-term protection up to 600 degrees F and continuous protection from salt water and fresh water. XF-7 will not run, drip or melt even when heated. Long after conventional oil or grease has melted and or boiled off, XF-7 is still right where you put it, lubricating and protecting your weapon for corrosion. XF-7 works in the widest range of temperatures and climates of any weapon grade lubricant currently available. XF-7 DOES NOT WASH OFF IN SALT WATER. Ideal for weapons used in marine environments. XF-7 has been used with total success on AR15/M16/M4 type weapons, .50 cal M2 Browning, HK91, FAL, SKS, AK, 1911A1, Beretta 92/M9, SIG 226, Rem 700, Winchester Mod. 70, and numerous other weapon systems. XF-7 contains no Teflon, so no hydrofluoric acid is created if it burns off, as happens with Teflon/PTEE lubes. XF-7 if clear amber, non-staining, non-toxic, and O-ring friendly. XF-7 will not attack rubber or polymers. XF-7 will not damage common firearm's finishes or other metal finishes. XF-7 cuts time spent gun cleaning, because it will not char or carbonize on metal surfaces. Most powder fouling wipes right off.

Some reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/product...TF8&showViewpoints=1

https://www.brownells.com/gun-...icant-prod22126.aspx
October 29, 2019, 09:33 PM
FPNunes
I have used Wilson Ultima Lube, TW25b and Eno Slide Glide with great success. The Ultima Lube is a pretty good value.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/U...e/productinfo/579-4/

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...
October 29, 2019, 09:36 PM
hrcjon
There are a MILLION decent lubes. any good gun grease is fine. I find it ironic that when I took SIG courses back in the very early 2000's they had only ballistol to lubricate guns they loaned you. But not the best choice for sure.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
October 29, 2019, 09:51 PM
sigmoid
I’ve had really good performance with weapon shield grease and lube oil

October 29, 2019, 10:00 PM
1KPerDay
Get some damn grease

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
October 30, 2019, 03:47 AM
wellthought
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Get some damn grease

I'm gonna just use the grease that I already have. I didn't think it would work on handgun slides until I came to the Sig Forum! Thanks...
October 30, 2019, 05:38 AM
Warhorse
I use TW25b, and have for many years because it works well. A little goes a long way. I bought a tube of lucas gun grease to have on hand when the TW25b eventually runs out.

October 30, 2019, 06:07 AM
2Adefender
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Slip2000 EWG mixed with a touch of EWL30. Slip2000 lubricants can be safely mixed, as the only difference is the amount of thickening agent in each- EWG, EWL30, EWL.

Slip2000 is the balls.

This!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.
October 30, 2019, 07:48 AM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I use TW25b, and have for many years because it works well. A little goes a long way. I bought a tube of lucas gun grease to have on hand when the TW25b eventually runs out.

TW25b would be fine. I prefer Slip2000 EWG because, unlike TW25b, its soap and oil components don’t separate.

A little EWG goes a long way too. I use about 10% as much as Flork puts on in this nailed thread:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums...30601935/m/908103701

Well, darn. Flork’s PhotoBucket photos are kaput.

Look about you.
October 30, 2019, 07:59 AM
Rotty37
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
I’ve had really good performance with weapon shield grease and lube oil

Same here. I use their products and had good results in all weather conditions also.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
October 30, 2019, 09:00 AM
Rodfac
quote:
Flork's Lubrication Recommendation
A sticky right here on Sig Pistols & a good source for lube info on most any Sig...My practice is to use US military weapons grease...bought a can of it 20 years ago for a buck at a gunshow. Works well on my M1's and 03's as well. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights through and by the sacrifice of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.
October 30, 2019, 09:27 AM
szuppo
I like the Slick2000 products, I wish they would still make their EWL 50 though. I use their EWL 30 and EWG for most all lubrication purposes.

Semper Fi
October 30, 2019, 12:44 PM
Nick B
I just threw away a 3 year old bottle of EWL30 .
I went to use it and nothing came out . Took the cap off and the top half had turned into jelly .
Probably would of still worked but when I checked my other brands of lube that were older they were fine .
October 30, 2019, 01:52 PM
Ken8
I like Brian Enos Slide Glide. I use all 3 weights depending on the pistol.