SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ready to get my first suppressor...need a recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ready to get my first suppressor...need a recommendation Login/Join 
posted
I recently bought a new Ruger Mark V with a threaded barrel. I hate the trigger, and I hate the safeties (too easy to accidentally engage), but I love how easy it is to take down. And I like that it has the same threads as a standard AR.

That being said, can anyone recommend a can that will work on both the pistol and an AR? The guy at the local class 3 shop said I should get a dedicated .22 can for the pistol because an AR would blow up a pistol can, and the .22 pistol would quickly fowl an AR can...he said you can disassemble the .22 cans for cleaning but not the ones meant for ARs.

I'm new to these things and just wanted your opinions on a good can that might be able to work well enough on both platforms. The main thing is the .22, so if I have to get a dedicated can for that, then what would y'all recommend?

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
The trust I direc owns both a dedicated 22lr, etc., can and a 223 can. There's no way I would shoot a 223 can on a 22 pistol or rifle; just too heavy. And, I can't imagine my 22 can being able to accommodate the sheer energy of the 223 round. The weight of the two cans is extremely noticeable, and for a reason.

More knowledgeable will be by to explain better.

I would get both.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong but I believe there are monocore/breakdown cans for 223. Should be all you need to run it on both though it will probably be pretty heavy for a 22. With that said 22 cans aren't terribly expensive. I'd get both

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I could be wrong but I believe there are monocore/breakdown cans for 223. Should be all you need to run it on both though it will probably be pretty heavy for a 22. With that said 22 cans aren't terribly expensive. I'd get both especially for handgun purposes where the extra weight will be more of a big deal than on a 22 rifle.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both a 22 rimfire can and a 30 cal. can that I use on my AR in both 300BLK and 223.
Your dealer was right. You'll eventually need both (they are addicting) but start with a 22 can for the Mark V. You can find ones for just 22lr, or that will suppress slightly larger rimfires (22mag, 17HMR, 5.7x28)
Enjoy

Posts: 275 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
1) post in suppressor section of forum
2) 22 LR is dirty-needs to come apart for cleaning.
3) light weight pistol will do better with a short, light weight can
Suppressor sites to surf, Silencer Shop, Capital Armory and Quiet Riot.
Liberty suppressors claim the Majestic X is the can do all can.
Be prepared to wait for tax stamp......

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I own a dedicated can for both. Most 22LR cans are user serviceable because 22LR is dirty. After about 500 rounds my 22LR can needs cleaned. Center fire cans don't get dirty as quickly and most cannot be serviced by the owner.

I'd recommend starting with the 22LR can first. I shoot my 22LR suppressor the most.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I have 3. All Silencerco. There are many brands that work well. Contact dry-fly. I think he has a good low milege one he is selling. Not sure of the brand. Might be a good entry into .22LR.

Additional info: He is an FFL.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank y'all for the info/advice!

I posted in another thread how a new local gun shop held a promotional exhibition today with several major vendors in attendance. I got to speak with the folks from "Dead Air", and I think they sold me on their .22 can.

It's relatively heavy (probably heavier than any I've handled so far), but it seems to be very stout and well-made. The rep was telling me about all the calibers it would handle, and when he got up to 5.7x28, I said "and .223?". He said that they certainly don't "recommend" it for .223 and that they have better offerings for that particular cartridge, but he said they HAVE tested it with .223, and it held up under what light testing they did. He said that if a customer did use it with .223 and anything happened to the can, that they would cover it under their warranty. Anyway, they were great folks to talk to.

Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Griffin Armament Optimus Micro is a .22 can that is factory rated for .223 as long as the .223 rifle barrel is 16" or longer. It will even handle the .22/250!

A bit more expensive, but very versatile.

Griffin Optimus Micro

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those look pretty impressive!

posted Hide Post
Do not have an Optimus, but will get one. Versatile and that is what I would recommend.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I have a full-size Optimus from Griffin that I really like. Handles everything from .22 rimfire to .338 Lapua Magnum. Also works great on a 9mm handgun.

The Micro version of the Optimus is small enough to use comfortably on a .22 handgun. Might be enough to get me back into the suppressor buying game after my buying binge to beat the 41P rule change.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post