SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Civilians get to own a pistol version of the USAF GAU-5A
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Civilians get to own a pistol version of the USAF GAU-5A Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I.e., the new Midwest Industries “survival gun.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/...-midwest-industries/

(A short article, but with good pictures.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That thing is just sick, I think my 10/22 needs a big brother

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How so? A simple AR can be taken down in 10 seconds. How is this different?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s not my job to defend the concept, but when I read the first article about the weapon, its size was critical to be able to fit into the space available (under the ejection seat, IIRC). The upper of a conventional rifle with that length barrel would make the overall length of the package significantly greater than this design. This design also permits use of a reasonable barrel length. In addition, assembling the upper and lower is indeed easy, especially while working at a well-lighted bench, but I believe this design would be a bit quicker and less likely to be fumbled, especially in a dark and muddy place. And this design would be less vulnerable to foreign stuff entering the action prior to or during assembly, especially if it were equipped with removable caps over the rear of the barrel and front of the receiver. In a survival situation with bad guys in the area things sometimes get a bit tense and rushed.

The folding handgrip would presumably be usable on any similar gun, but it also reduces the overall size.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No "Moderator"? I am sad.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there a platform like this years ago? I can't remember the brand but I remember a barrel swap or to install one, could be done with 2 levers to hold the barrel onto the upper. A friend of mine had one years ago and thought it was neat.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek $1,450

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it make more sense for the AF to issue a 10.5 inch barreled carbine and just separate the upper and lower halves using the standard takedown pins?

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Wouldn't it make more sense for the AF to issue a 10.5 inch barreled carbine and just separate the upper and lower halves using the standard takedown pins?

Some of us wouldn’t think so. To reiterate, the overall length of the separated package is critical for the requirement. If my measurements are correct, even shortening the barrel by 2 inches to 10.5 would leave it somewhat longer than the MI version. A shorter barrel also loses more ballistic effectiveness. Then there is the fact that separating the upper and lower receivers increases the likelihood of stuff like mud and sand getting into the action in a survival situation.

And of course, there’s the coolness factor of having something that’s unique. Wink

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Wasn't there a platform like this years ago? I can't remember the brand but I remember a barrel swap or to install one, could be done with 2 levers to hold the barrel onto the upper. A friend of mine had one years ago and thought it was neat.

Ruger SR556 takedown?

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great answers. ThNks

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is not the first time the Air Force has experimented with this concept.

The Colt Model 608

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The AF could save a buttload of $$$ and just buy a bunch of Kel-Tec Sub2000 carbines and they could even have magazines that interchange with the pilot's pistols. But that would make way too much sense of course! Roll Eyes

Unfold, load and ready to fire in about 8 seconds.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Since I'm newly on the market for an AR-style weapon, I'd consider one of these!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windham Weaponry and Cry Havoc had some out a few years ago. IRCC the Cry Havoc was the one closest to the Midwest one.

Posts: 1217 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh brother. What a waste of $$$$.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I like it. I don't like it better than the AR Pistol I have now with a folding stock, er, brace. But I do like it.
Folded Stock Adaptor w/o sling. by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or a Keltec PLR-16. @ $500 uses standard 5.56 mags.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
If the upper is available separately I
have the perfect SNR lower to put it on...

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried one of the original GAU5’s as a security police Lt in SAC 8n the 80’s. I think it was 15 or 20 years old when it was issued to me. Not bad for what it intended to be.

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post