SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 X5 L1 .40 S&W
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 X5 L1 .40 S&W Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a well-used X5 L1 from an estate sale. It was a good enough deal that I didn't really think too much about the condition of the frame. Internals looks really good, slide to frame fitment is perfect with no wiggle. I consider this one of my grail guns and considering investing a bit more towards it.

I have a few questions I was hoping you all chime in and give some pointers:

Caliber Conversion

I would really like to use run this as a 9mm. Is it really just replacing the barrel (Barsto) and magazine good to go? Any other options other than Barsto? I do not want to modify the gun in any way - just the ability to swap calibers.

Cosmetic Scratches

I noticed what appears to be holster wear on the right side of the frame. It's not deep, but there's enough of it that it really bugs the hell out me and want to buffed out. There are tiny scratches here and there on the slide as well.

What are my options - both professional or DYI I can take to clean this up?

Thanks in advance!

finally, the gun:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CGP,

Posts: 631 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm- yes and a 9mm recoil spring

scratches- If it's stainless which It looks like, you could have it bead blasted and the finish would look factory new.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
9mm- yes and a 9mm recoil spring

scratches- If it's stainless which It looks like, you could have it bead blasted and the finish would look factory new.

A normal 9mm recoil spring from a 4.5 bbl P226 work?

Posts: 631 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I think that would be a great candidate for a trip to GGI.

They can probably bead blast the frame and slide to as new condition. Also, X5s are known to have internal extractor issues. I'm pretty sure GGI has an upgraded extractor that solves the issue. They can also fit a 9mm Bar-Sto barrel for it. I think you would end up with the pistol of your dreams.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I bought the same gun, sent it off to The SIG Armorer with a pair of 9mm and .357 sig Bar-Sto barrels. He fitted them and supplied the proper recoil springs. ALL three calibers work 100%.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations gents. I have sent them emails about the services.

Aside from the match barrel fitting and bead blast, what are your recommended wear replacement parts that I need to keep on hand?

I've noticed that parts for this are getting harder and harder to come by. Lots of online places I used to peruse no longer sell the parts I want.

So far, I know I can use the standard 9mm orange braided recoil spring (once I get the conversion done) and those seem to still be available relatively cheap.

What about the .357 Sig, does that use the same .40 recoil spring?

Does the extractor spring need to be replaced to work with the 9mm cartridge?

posted Hide Post
I would also report that I took this out this weekend for a quick function check.

50 rounds through that one target

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I think that would be a great candidate for a trip to GGI.

They can probably bead blast the frame and slide to as new condition. Also, X5s are known to have internal extractor issues. I'm pretty sure GGI has an upgraded extractor that solves the issue. They can also fit a 9mm Bar-Sto barrel for it. I think you would end up with the pistol of your dreams.
Indeed. I recall the video of the GGI extractor in slow mo. Brass came out like fluid. All in the exact same trajectory.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I shot my L1's seriously (I've stopped as parts are so rare) the only part I actually broke was the extractor, multiple times. I have no idea what parts a converted gun will use, but I'd definitely start there.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I bought the same gun, sent it off to The SIG Armorer with a pair of 9mm and .357 sig Bar-Sto barrels. He fitted them and supplied the proper recoil springs. ALL three calibers work 100%.

I reached out to both and Robert (Sig Armorer) has responded super quick and answered pretty much most of my questions. He’s likely going to get my business.

I did ask about using a standard length X5 conversion barrel vs. threaded one. Does anyone have any experience with the threaded X5 barrel? I’m probably overthinking this but seems the added length would help with accuracy, plus options for maybe suppressed shooting in the future.

Really just looking for your opinions.

posted Hide Post
again I have no experience with a conversion. But I do have an L1 with a factory threaded barrel and a factory comp. Its a PIA and does nothing that I could observe.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
again I have no experience with a conversion. But I do have an L1 with a factory threaded barrel and a factory comp. Its a PIA and does nothing that I could observe.

What didn’t you like about it?

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advise gents. I’ll be sending this to Robert.

posted Hide Post
quote:

First issue, it does nothing at least with factory ammo. Second issue removing it is a PIA as they chose to use a silly small set screw that after a couple of times you have to replace and its an odd (even for metric) size. Of course on this same gun they thought it was brilliant that you have to remove the slide racker and rear sight to get the slide off. And those have tiny parts to lose.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:

First issue, it does nothing at least with factory ammo. Second issue removing it is a PIA as they chose to use a silly small set screw that after a couple of times you have to replace and its an odd (even for metric) size. Of course on this same gun they thought it was brilliant that you have to remove the slide racker and rear sight to get the slide off. And those have tiny parts to lose.

Thank you. I needed to hear that. Dumb i know, but ive always liked the look of it. Makes it look like it means business.

But you are absolutely correct. I ended up ordering just the normal conversion barrel.

posted Hide Post
Nice X5! Did you refinish the frame or just keep it as is?

Posts: 28 | Registered: November 26, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m keeping it as is for now. I ended up getting another P226 X5 L1 in 9mm.