SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig magazines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig magazines Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xfarfuldog:
This PD is one of the top paid in Ohio so I am sure all their guns are adequately cared for.

I still put no weight on their claim, if they truly said the Mec-Gar mags are bad.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
This PD is one of the top paid in Ohio so I am sure all their guns are adequately cared for.

I still put no weight on their claim, if they truly said the Mec-Gar mags are bad.
There is a metric shit ton of experience from shooters on this website and several others that tells me that as well.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
I would be more concerned with rust causing possible separation of the zipper back seam than about Mec-Gar mag quality.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Anyone know who makes the current OEM mags for the SIG 1911 Ultra Compact???? Trying to get some mag baseplates to screw into the plain steel baseplate.

All of my pre-ban P226/8 zipper and zig-zag back mags have the "circle S" Sauer-Sohn logo cited above. Wink

TIA for your responses,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know who makes the current OEM mags for the SIG 1911 Ultra Compact???? Trying to get some mag baseplates to screw into the plain steel baseplate.

Checkmate I believe, but there may be others since everyone make 1911 magazines.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I did some checking. It appears that you guys are correct. I thought in the late 90s that Mecgar made zipper backs, but I was incorrect.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I did some checking. It appears that You guys are correct. I thought in the late 90s that Mecgar made zipper backs, but I was incorrect.

Razz

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I did some checking. It appears that You guys are correct. I thought in the late 90s that Mecgar made zipper backs, but I was incorrect.

Razz

Hey, I was being nice. I couldn't find that they didn't.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They are now qualified to get a job behind the counter at the LGS. Roll Eyes

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
Mec-Gar, Italian magazines are excellent and can be fully trusted with your life. The SWAT Sarge is incorrect.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing against your local PD, but the police are the last place I look for weapons advice, and I are one.

quote:
I did some checking. It appears that you guys are correct. I thought in the late 90s that Mecgar made zipper backs, but I was incorrect.

Proving his first quote in plain sight. Wink

LMAO

Big Grin

I just having fun... at your expense, SORRY!! Smile

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Anyone know who makes the current OEM mags for the SIG 1911 Ultra Compact????
8-)

The OEM ones I have, the base plates are marked "J&J"
http://jandjproducts.com/products.php?cat=12

The "Made in USA" mags I got for 16.95 are drilled for the plates.
Their UPC is PI4726, 1911-A1 .45 6RD

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Nothing against your local PD, but the police are the last place I look for weapons advice, and I are one.

quote:

Proving his first quote in plain sight. Wink

LMAO

Big Grin

I just having fun... at your expense, SORRY!! Smile

Ain't it true

www.opspectraining.com

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
The local PD uses Sigs and told me they have had problems with the Italian mags.

Instead of everyone jumping on this guys case as if he slapped your mother, I can partially agree with the sentiment, with an explanation.

We used Sig P226 9MM guns. A new batch of Sig made by MecGar phosphate parkerized 15 rd mags was issued to everyone. These mags SUCKED nut sacks in stock, out of the box form.

As far as I know, Sig MecGar 226 mags have had three different finishes - blued, parkerized, and anti-friction coating.

The 15 rd MecGar anti-friction coating mag is the best 226 mag ever made, in my opinion. The blued one is the second best 226 mag ever made.

The parkerized mags need to be taken apart, liberally sprayed with gun oil, and the insides and follower scrubbed heartily for them to function properly. I have personally seen 10 out of 30 guns on the line completely shit the bed with brand new, out of the box parkerized mags.

If the local PD was using MecGar parkerized mags, I can almost guarantee that they would not like them IF THEY DIDN'T KNOW to clean the heck out of them before use.

The batch we got must have had a bunch of extra phosphate parkerization on them, because they were less than reliable out of the box. And since most cops are not gun guys, most just blamed the mags and thought they were junk. All they needed was a very thorough cleaning.

Here are three mags from my collection.
left-Sig Sauer 9mm 15 rd made by MecGar in Italy anti-friction coating
middle- Sig Sauer 9MM 15 rd made by MecGar in Italy blued
right- MecGar made in Italy parkerized 9mm 15 rd (non Sig marked, but identical to the Sig marked ones I was issued at the PD)

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

As far as I know, Sig MecGar 226 mags have had three different finishes - blued, parkerized, and anti-friction coating.
I have a couple 17-round bright nickel or polished stainless ones also... I expect they're probably stainless. Metal thin baseplates. I'll post a pic if I remember.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I have a couple 17-round bright nickel or polished stainless ones also... I expect they're probably stainless. Metal thin baseplates. I'll post a pic if I remember.

It's nickel.

Q