SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig magazines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig magazines Login/Join 
posted
After staying away from the P228, 229, and 226 for years, I purchased a used German P228 Sunday. It came with the blue plastic box serial numbered to gun. I realize this is the wrong box as I just gave away my 30 year old police issued red Sig P228 box. My just purchased Sig came with zippered mags. I have over 25 Glock mags for my G19.

I use only Sig mags for my P220 ST. My question is should I buy the old dove tail or zippered or current production mags? I know to stay away from the cheaper mags such as pro mags. The old mags are expensive. I see several of the well used old mags on sale. Would it be worthwhile to get them and get new springs as necessary or try the Italian mags? The

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I like the old zipper mags and buy'em when I find them. I just replace the springs.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xfarfuldog:
After staying away from the P228, 229, and 226 for years, I purchased a used German P228 Sunday. It came with the blue plastic box serial numbered to gun. I realize this is the wrong box as I just gave away my 30 year old police issued red Sig P228 box. My just purchased Sig came with zippered mags. I have over 25 Glock mags for my G19.

I use only Sig mags for my P220 ST. My question is should I buy the old dove tail or zippered or current production mags? I know to stay away from the cheaper mags such as pro mags. The old mags are expensive. I see several of the well used old mags on sale. Would it be worthwhile to get them and get new springs as necessary or try the Italian mags? The

First, why do you think "this is the wrong box"? If its label, presumed factory original, is serial numbered to the gun, then it is the correct box, isn't it? The P228, and all the old SIGs, went through box evolution.

About the mags, it doesn't matter zipper, or dove tail, or Mec-Gar. They should all work fine, assuming good springs and undamaged.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned this is a German gun. No serial number on slide, only on the frame and barrel. The Sigs I bought years ago were in cardboard boxes. I did not mention that this box is marked as 'used'. Maybe a CPO gun before the orange boxes?

The local PD uses Sigs and told me they have had problems with the Italian mags.

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xfarfuldog:
As I mentioned this is a German gun. No serial number on slide, only on the frame and barrel. The Sigs I bought years ago were in cardboard boxes. I did not mention that this box is marked as 'used'. Maybe a CPO gun before the orange boxes?

What's the Item Number on the box, if any. If you see "UD" at the beginning of the label, then it surely was a CPO.

quote:
The local PD uses Sigs and told me they have had problems with the Italian mags.

The Mec-Gar P228/228/226 mags have had spotless reputation forever, from countless users. I would not be concerned with what the local PD told you. Maybe they didn't properly maintain them, who knows?

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At work now. Will check when I get home.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Mec Gar is probably ranked as the Premier magazine manufacturer on the globe. The guys in your Department are not well informed.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Mecgar is one of the OEM magazines for SIG. The other is Checkmate. If you are buying zipper back magazines, you are getting Mecgar.

Nothing against your local PD, but the police are the last place I look for weapons advice, and I are one. 99 percent of your cops aren't gun people. An agency I know of replaced several thousand SIG magazines for reliability problems. Not all had problems but it was enough to cause a lack of trust. Upon replacing the magazines, the range staff started disassembling the old magazines to see if they could be salvaged for range mags. They found that 1 in 5 were reassembled wrong after their officers were forced to clean their mags after a range session. Good news, they've got plenty of functioning magazines now. Smile

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Mecgar is one of the OEM magazines for SIG. The other is Checkmate. If you are buying zipper back magazines, you are getting Mecgar.

Mec-Gar SIG mags are smooth backed. Never been zippered, unless you know something.

Q

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I thought SIG themselves made both the zipper backs and the dovetail magazines, no?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stoic-one,

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
What caliber is your local PD using? ACT/Novak makes .45 ACP mags for SIGs and they are made in Italy, too. I know that there have been issues in the past with these mags splitting.

If you are going with German Sauer made mags, I would go with the dovetail over the zipperback. Zipperbacks were only made for a couple of years and there were some reports of them splitting at the feed lips.

I have used nickel and blued 15rd Mec-Gar P228 mags for years and have not had any issues. I like the extra 2 rounds over the older German-made SIG mags.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Let me check on this. I was under the impression that they farmed it out to Mecgar.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
I see you are a mag hoarder like myself.

Stay away from promag, some would say stay away from the checkmate mags as well. I've never owned checkmate, so that's just me spreading internet lore.

I've ran factory SIG marked Mec-gar, as well as Mec-gar marked "aftermarket" mags for years with zero issue.

If you are wanting a pile of 228 mags to add to your stash without breaking the bank...

http://www.osagecountyguns.com...m-13rd-magazine.html

Don't let the label fool you. These are 228 mags through and through, Mec-gar made, and SIG marked. The dozen I got looked like new old stock. Not even drop marks on the base plates.

They have the 15 rounders as well, but not quite the hoarder price ($19/ea)

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I though SIG themselves made both the zipper backs and the dovetail magazines, no?

Yes, but after year 2000 or so, their factory mags are Mec-Gar made.

Q

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I thought SIG themselves made both the zipper backs and the dovetail magazines, no?

Yes, but after year 2000 or so, their factory mags are Mec-Gar made.

Sorry, actually, I meant that as a reply to jljones:
quote:
If you are buying zipper back magazines, you are getting Mecgar.
As I was under the impression SIG made the zipper backs...

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Ok. My answer to Jones is right above yours, just in a different way. Big Grin

Q

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^^ Ok. My answer to Jones is right above yours, just in a different way. Big Grin
No, I saw that post I believe. Smile
My question is whether or not anyone other than SIG ever made dovetail or zipper back magazines because I've never seen any of those marked "Made in Italy"...

NRA Benefactor

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
None of my Mec-Gars have zipper backs. None of my SIG zipper backs or dovetail mags are marked Italy. FWIW.

I prefer Mec-Gars and use them almost exclusively for the 226.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I've only ever seen either one with the Sauer & Sohn logo.

NRA Benefactor

posted Hide Post
My box is UD marked, making it a CPO gun. It was not my department that stated the Italian mags were bad. This was a SWAT team Sergeant from another department. This PD is one of the top paid in Ohio so I am sure all their guns are adequately cared for.