SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why are HK USPc prices so high?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are HK USPc prices so high? Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I had a USPc years ago and miss it. I remember it being an expensive handgun when I bought it then.. it seems they still are. I found one in 357Sig that I’d love to have, but sheesh.. I’m embarrassed to say what the current price is! Granted it’s complete and in the box, it I’m having a hard time justifying it.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by "so high"? What's the price tag? Everything is cheaper now than they were several years ago.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I paid around $850 retail at a LGS probably 8 years ago for the one I previously owned. This one is very gently used in 357 with box, mags. Etc and it’s currently at $830 on GB. Eek 9mm and 40 (which there are numerous of) are going for $700 to $800 as well if they include the original box and accessories.

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't live in HK world much these days, but I think that .357 is no longer made. Not uncommon for prices to stay up for the discontinued guns. I also don't think that USP prices went down the same way as P30 did a year or two ago.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
I don't live in HK world much these days, but I think that .357 is no longer made. Not uncommon for prices to stay up for the discontinued guns. I also don't think that USP prices went down the same way as P30 did a year or two ago.

You’re right there, the 357 is no longer offered.. it’s fetching a bit more, but they all seem high across the board. Just checking to see if there’s something I don’t know concerning USPc’s. Confused

posted Hide Post
Uh. they run forever. So people like them. just a random thought.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very true.. demand is obviously there

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Definitely the rarity of the caliber is a huge part of the higher price tag. But the other is the USPC is now listed with a MSRP of $1000. Looks like some things went down and to make it for that... other's went up !

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just saw a nice clean used USP compact 40 with dim night sights it is a about 05 build date LEM . they want like 799

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
For myself: I bought my 9mm USPc NIB about the same time as you, about 8 years ago. It was the same day that I bought my 92A1. Paid low 600s apiece for the HK and the Beretta; I recall them being within $5 of one another. I found out later through that LGS that HK had brought a bunch of excess USPc stock into the country at the time and actually had offered them at greatly reduced pricing. Years later I would discover that this was something that HK would sometimes do, as they did something similar a couple of years ago with the VP9.

Fast forward to 2013ish: by then I was now working in the industry. Our shop had brought in a couple of USPc in 9mm and 40S&W and the price at the display case was in the high 800s. The P30 was even higher still in the low 900s and the HK45 was around $1100. I distinctly remember being surprised at the USPc's price, particularly given what I had paid for mine only 3 yrs earlier. In the 5 or so yrs between then and today we would sparingly bring in USP pistols; it was the 'old' one compared to the newer P2000 and P30, and made more ancient when the VP9 and VP40 came to market. Our buyer wasn't thinking tradition; he was into what's new and hot, and the USP like wasn't that to him.

2018: now I do much of the ordering for the shop. So this year I placed a large order for HKs from the company, including for the first time in a long while a couple of 9mm USPcs and full size USPs for the shop. Lo and behold the retail price point wound up being about $25 less than I recall it was in 2013. Factor in inflation and it's cheaper still. What I didn't anticipate was that the guns would move almost instantly, making me wish that I had ordered more. But unfortunately I had a ton of VP9s and VP9SKs that we had to sell first. And now that those are all but completely gone, now I can't order much of anything, at least direct. With HK's new military contracts taking up all of their production capacity (including what they have here in the U.S.), for the time being we can't place any additional orders for a lot of their models. In the past this usually meant mostly that it was their long guns that would be affected; now it means quite literally everything. All I can do is order from distribution, and with that the price of each will be higher to account for the middle-man markup. Frown

This however doesn't mean that nothing at all will be available. There's plenty of preexisting civilian-market orders on HK's plate, and to their credit HK are honoring those orders even if deliveries will be much slower than only 4 months ago when our previous HK order was placed. But with my most recent contact with our rep I could only draw from whatever HK-USA currently had in inventory at that time; anything not in their warehouse was forbidden to order. Add to this that we're STILL WAITING for my previous order of P30/VP9 magazines from months ago, and one or two "regular inventory" handguns that still haven't been fulfilled. Mad

HK had seen the light a year or so ago and lowered pricing for the P30 series to align with the lower priced P30SK and the VP9/40/9SK series. They did the same to the P2000 and HK45. But they haven't felt any compulsion to do that with the USP series. Considering how fast the two USPcs I ordered in earlier this year sold, I guess I'm not that surprised. I also ordered and received USP and USPc mags at the same time, and our shop went through those like they were going out of style.

The mystique of Heckler & Koch. It LIVES ON!

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you for that, sir... very interesting!

posted Hide Post
I saw a two tone USPc 40 in a LGS for $499. After a month of seeing it there I asked to take a look at it. It was in very good condition and it fit my hand perfect. I said I'll take it. To my surprise it came with 6 magazines and a very nice hand made holster. I asked why it sat so long and he said If it was 9mm it would have gone in a day or two but not to many people are buying 40 right now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dog44,

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
!!

I bought a USPC gun in 357 for $569 new whenever they first came out. It was my first 357 gun.

Tens of thousands of rounds later. Night sights barely glow anymore.

It made a trip to Robar some time ago.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Chowser..

posted Hide Post
No pic right now (apologies), and it's 9mm, but I picked up a great condition used USPc in 9mm for $490 delivered. Found it on the hk forum, a member linked in a for sale ad and that was a done deal. This was just a few months ago. 357 seems to command a higher price, but to me those guns are worth it. I own 2 USPc 9mm and a 45c as well.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
My EDC... Cool

I'll definitely buy another when I find the right one! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Supply and demand

Lots more 40s or 9s were manufactured than 357s

The demand for the 40 is kind of wavering right now, but 357SIG appears to be maintaining is customer base.

I personally am very fond of the cartridge

However, I only own 3 HKs in 357SIG

In addition to my HK USPc pictured above, I also have a P2000sk chambered in 357SIG (un photographed) along with the true Bad Boy, my MP5/357. Thirty rounds on target in 2 seconds Eek

Thirty rounds on target in 2 seconds Eek

I am not a fan of the 40S&W cartridge so I am unwilling to buy a 40 and put a conversion barrel in it. Besides, I want my gun to say 357 on it.

BTW, I paid less than $600 out the door for my USPc, but that was almost two decades ago. Taking into account inflation, that used price is not really that high

I would send the GB seller a question and offer to do a Buy-It-Now at a lower price point. The worst thing he can say is no

Good Luck

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Back in 1996 (maybe '97) or so I priced a USP compact out in CA and it was $735. I think the prices have remained pretty consistent considering.

Summit Gun Broker has compact USP 40's for $449 right now. Too bad they are 40 or I'd get one Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I paid around $880 for my USPc in 9mm about 10 years back. It was more than I wanted to spend though it is extremely well built and over engineered in my opinion. Fit and finish on HK pistols is wonderful compared to some of the lesser expensive polymer brands. I have a lot of Glocks and prefer them for carry and competition though the HKs are indeed nicer all around in build quality and as a result, I don’t mind paying more here and there for one.

My small HK collection

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear you about the weird hk prices. While the Compact never fit my hand as well as the USP standard. I understand the desire to have it back.

I am looking for a standard USP 9mm K date with box and papers.

I am finding them for 550-575 with out box and papers.

With box and papers, i am being offered them at 750, 850 and other levels of induced drug wonder.

I simply will wait. I will find one. sub 600. It will take a while, but I will find one.

I took a shot of my safe with my meager HK USP club, It is missing the standard USP9. After that, who knows.

My guns are holy weapons of war. They defy laws of physics on a daily basis. The save is only used to keep the damn things from floating away.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post